Golden Snitch Replica (deathly hallows)

Oh, PotionMistress, the jealousy towards you for possessing those snitch replicas!
I was so angry that I didn't jump on the opportunity to buy one of the resin snitches about a year ago. If one of those metal ones popped up though...
Pshewwww.

I have 2 early Golden Snitches from CoolFX; one is resin cast and foiled and one is metal. Here are a few photos (excuse the dust) if it helps.

Don't know the dimensions though, sorry. Let me know if I can help with more photos.

View attachment 298759View attachment 298760View attachment 298761View attachment 298762View attachment 298763

Any updates on this, AlexGordon?

The process for making the gold plated bronze snitches just requires too much labor and the market just will not support a price that makes producing them worthwhile.

No update so far. School has been busy as can be. I do plan in doing this very soon though. The hardest part is gonna be the model.

Wow I've never seen the plated version , it definitely looks amazing. Would love to get a hold of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love the plated one, but if some resin ones ever entered circulation again, finished or raw, I'd so be up for some!

I do not understand why Noble or any other company hasn't released a high quality version of it. People would easily pay a stack of money for some nice diecast ones that aren't on a silly stand!

Hi Alex,

I just thought I would share my progress for the same endeavor. A few months ago I purchased a mesh for a Snitch model online from a place called IncendiaFx. I slightly modified this mesh and had it printed at Shapeways in FUD. After the item arrived I determined that my initial size estimate was wrong (I tried to clarify in this thread) with 1.25 inches being a tad too small. I also did a test to determine if it was feasible to print the engraving with the mesh rather than engraving it afterwards, I think it might be possible but it would be difficult to get good clarity and detail. The 3D print is really nice and detailed. I got stuck at finding somewhere that would be able to make a pewter or brass casting of the 3D printed model.
Here are some photos and my attempt.I think the ideal size is between 1.25 and 1.5".

IMG_2796 (Medium).JPG
These are all the items that arrived from Shapeways. I designed a stand/sprue for casting and made the snitch hollow to save on costs. The little tubes are the wing nibs. The little rectangle is an test to see what the engraving would look like when 3D printed.
IMG_1026 (Medium).JPG
Here is an attempt at a close up of the engraving test.
IMG_2801 (Medium).JPG
Front of the 3D printed snitch.
IMG_2799 (Medium).JPG
Back of the 3D printed snitch.
IMG_2804 (Medium).JPG
Size comparison between the 3D print and the "sticker" snitch.

Hi Alex,

I just thought I would share my progress for the same endeavor. A few months ago I purchased a mesh for a Snitch model online from a place called IncendiaFx. I slightly modified this mesh and had it printed at Shapeways in FUD. After the item arrived I determined that my initial size estimate was wrong (I tried to clarify in this thread) with 1.25 inches being a tad too small. I also did a test to determine if it was feasible to print the engraving with the mesh rather than engraving it afterwards, I think it might be possible but it would be difficult to get good clarity and detail. The 3D print is really nice and detailed. I got stuck at finding somewhere that would be able to make a pewter or brass casting of the 3D printed model.
Here are some photos and my attempt.I think the ideal size is between 1.25 and 1.5".

View attachment 314464
These are all the items that arrived from Shapeways. I designed a stand/sprue for casting and made the snitch hollow to save on costs. The little tubes are the wing nibs. The little rectangle is an test to see what the engraving would look like when 3D printed.
View attachment 314463
Here is an attempt at a close up of the engraving test.
View attachment 314466
Front of the 3D printed snitch.
View attachment 314465
Back of the 3D printed snitch.
View attachment 314467
Size comparison between the 3D print and the "sticker" snitch.

This is the best snitch I've seen yet. Still not full deathly hallows lines, but you're very close. If you'd like to work together on making this into a piece made in polished brass, with the correct deathly hallows lines, please PM me so we can get the ball rolling.

To everyone else following this thread, I am going to make this happen one way or another (whether it's a one off or small run is up in the air, and dependent on many things) but as you can imagine, modelling details onto the surface of a sphere is very time consuming, so even once I get started if I have to go it alone, it will take quite a long time to see through to completion.

EDIT: I found the site containing the 3d model. My only concern is whether or not I'll have to learn a whole new 3d modelling software just to tweak the design.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back