GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

giphy.gif

Meh.

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
trying to figure out the funny of meme's myself....
11141381_10153472904215211_4609539862220293829_n.jpg

also got a review about his appearance in Vacation. apparently he was terrible and can't really do comedy.

Last edited:
So I showed my wife the picture of Chris on the motorcycle. She is a huge fan of Thor and the Avengers movies. She looked at that picture and said, "That just looks stupid!". I then told her the back story about the movie in about 20 seconds without any elaboration other than the reboot details of cast, director, premise and that it is not a sequel. She then stopped me and then said, "That sounds like the stupidest idea for a Ghostbusters movie ever".

I said, "Yup.".

:lol

Well here's something that I'm hoping for and I'm probably wrong but we'll find out soon enough. What would happen if all the hype about it being a reboot of the Ghostbusters francise is fake and it actually is a continuation? That might actually be a big surprise for everyone and might just make it worth seeing. I'm sure they know that rebooting it would be a flop, but they are just saying its a reboot to get buzz going about it and get it talked about. Just look at how much people are talking about it now and it's not even out yet. Guess we'll never know until it hits the theaters!

So I showed my wife the picture of Chris on the motorcycle. She is a huge fan of Thor and the Avengers movies. She looked at that picture and said, "That just looks stupid!". I then told her the back story about the movie in about 20 seconds without any elaboration other than the reboot details of cast, director, premise and that it is not a sequel. She then stopped me and then said, "That sounds like the stupidest idea for a Ghostbusters movie ever".

I said, "Yup.".

:lol

My wife literally said the same thing.

Well here's something that I'm hoping for and I'm probably wrong but we'll find out soon enough. What would happen if all the hype about it being a reboot of the Ghostbusters francise is fake and it actually is a continuation? That might actually be a big surprise for everyone and might just make it worth seeing. I'm sure they know that rebooting it would be a flop, but they are just saying its a reboot to get buzz going about it and get it talked about. Just look at how much people are talking about it now and it's not even out yet. Guess we'll never know until it hits the theaters!

Weirdly wishful thinking. The story is out there for all to see, and it's an origin story. We've seen the evolution of their suits from before they had logos to being branded on the sleeves. The guy who played Ray Stanz is a cabbie. The guy who played Venkman has a bit part of his own. This is a reboot, plain and simple.

Weirdly wishful thinking. The story is out there for all to see, and it's an origin story. We've seen the evolution of their suits from before they had logos to being branded on the sleeves. The guy who played Ray Stanz is a cabbie. The guy who played Venkman has a bit part of his own. This is a reboot, plain and simple.

it wouldn't take many reshoots if they decide to go that way... but at this point.....there is so much bad publicity from the day this started, even that won't save it. I just hope ghostbuster fans are like FF fans and stick to their guns so it has a low opening day release.

They're not going to reshoot. This is what you get. If you don't like it, don't see it, but don't hold your breath on a sudden change of heart.

Sony wants a reboot, at this point, because Feig does, and Feig does because (at least based on his emails with Sony) he has a vague long-term vision for where the next few movies would go, all of which requires a complete shift in the story from the originals. Put simply, ghosts are treated like UFOs: denied by the government, treated as probably the wild imaginings of loonies or the result of chemical hallucinations, but secretly real. His idea is that the government will publicly deny the existence of ghosts, while privately turning to the GBs to protect the country and probably the world.

All of that requires that the first two movies...never happened. Why? Simple. In that world, ghosts are known to be real. Ergo, Feig's big idea won't work.

it wouldn't take many reshoots if they decide to go that way... but at this point.....there is so much bad publicity from the day this started, even that won't save it. I just hope ghostbuster fans are like FF fans and stick to their guns so it has a low opening day release.

It would take reshooting almost the entire film to accomplish something the studio and 90% of their potential audience have no interest in.

It would take reshooting almost the entire film to accomplish something the studio and 90% of their potential audience have no interest in.

not really.

cut out the old guys cameo's. cut out the old firehouse joke. one new scene in the beginning that shows the last adventure of the old GB's. show them closing things down. show the new team finding everything, but nothing works anymore. show them taking things back to their new headquarters.. trying to reverse engineer the equipment. coming up with 'prototypes' along the way, and it could still tie everything together nicely. have a scene at the end where Ray and Peter come in, introduce themselves, and show them how to get things really up and running. movie two opens with new team tired of ghostbusting, but all props finalized.....

even that would save this turd. but yeah, major wishful thinking that they'd do all this just to keep the click bait nature of ghostbusters going forever.

Neil, even what you're describing would be a gigantic investment in order to accomplish something that no one involved with the project wants (and honestly, even as someone who wishes this were in continuity I wouldn't want that kind of patchwork film any more than the one they're aiming for), but that's really not all they'd need to do. The entire plot is an origin story, and every scene and conversation reflects that they're discovering this and going into business for themselves. Changing the context of their story would affect the entire film.

Neil, even what you're describing would be a gigantic investment in order to accomplish something that no one involved with the project wants (and honestly, even as someone who wishes this were in continuity I wouldn't want that kind of patchwork film any more than the one they're aiming for), but that's really not all they'd need to do. The entire plot is an origin story, and every scene and conversation reflects that they're discovering this and going into business for themselves. Changing the context of their story would affect the entire film.

Exactly. This isn't just a matter of "Cut one scene, and shoot two new ones" which, in and of itself, wouldn't be cheap.

Wonder if they'll reboot this reboot?

VyDllsO.jpg

I beg to differ... this could be worked out wonderfully... the origin of the francise. The old Ghostbusters team has pretty much given up the business after being sued by every government agency, and the ladies 20 years later find an old flyer and its what sparks the idea for starting a new GB chapter! Wouldn't take much to spin it in the same universe!

I beg to differ... this could be worked out wonderfully... the origin of the francise. The old Ghostbusters team has pretty much given up the business after being sued by every government agency, and the ladies 20 years later find an old flyer and its what sparks the idea for starting a new GB chapter! Wouldn't take much to spin it in the same universe!

Except that the entire film - every scene, all the dialogue - is about their original research, writing, relationships and how it leads them to conceive of this business and then develop the equipment from scratch and then brand it and launch it. What you guys are describing, something akin to shooting an insert scene that ties it right back to the originals, is impossible.

No one wants this film to be something other than it is more than I do, but I don't understand the mentality of other Ghostbusters fans. They just seem to have hugely unrealistic perceptions of everything! From their cachet/influence as a fanbase to how films are made to how production and fanmade props are made, it's pure weird entitlement and wishful thinking...

Except that the entire film - every scene, all the dialogue - is about their original research, writing, relationships and how it leads them to conceive of this business and then develop the equipment from scratch and then brand it and launch it. What you guys are describing, something akin to shooting an insert scene that ties it right back to the originals, is impossible.

No one wants this film to be something other than it is more than I do, but I don't understand the mentality of other Ghostbusters fans. They just seem to have hugely unrealistic perceptions of everything! From their cachet/influence as a fanbase to how films are made to how production and fanmade props are made, it's pure weird entitlement and wishful thinking...

But see this is where everything gets foggy. You seem so sure that the entire GB script has been leaked online and everyone is going by what it says... when in fact, it could have been a leaked fake script that was put out by Feig himself or even one of the comedians working on the film in order to make everyone think that the movie is going in one direction when in fact it's actually going in another. Sooooooooooooo... this is what I'm saying. Who is to say that any of the facts that have been "leaked" are true or not. Who is to say that all of this is actually one big smoke screen to keep the buzz and talk about the film going in order to generate forums like this to keep talking about a film so that its google presence keeps coming up in searches. I mean comon... we're already on page 9 of this forum already and the movie hasn't even come out yet let alone any of the so-called "rumors" that truly can't be verified or even if they are you can't really tell anymore because everyone in Hollywood is trying to manipulate social media for their own profit. So... I guess what I'm saying is you really can't be sure of anyone or anything you read online anymore! Especially when it comes to news coming out of Hollywood!

But see this is where everything gets foggy. You seem so sure that the entire GB script has been leaked online and everyone is going by what it says... when in fact, it could have been a leaked fake script that was put out by Feig himself or even one of the comedians working on the film in order to make everyone think that the movie is going in one direction when in fact it's actually going in another. Sooooooooooooo... this is what I'm saying. Who is to say that any of the facts that have been "leaked" are true or not. Who is to say that all of this is actually one big smoke screen to keep the buzz and talk about the film going in order to generate forums like this to keep talking about a film so that its google presence keeps coming up in searches. I mean comon... we're already on page 9 of this forum already and the movie hasn't even come out yet let alone any of the so-called "rumors" that truly can't be verified or even if they are you can't really tell anymore because everyone in Hollywood is trying to manipulate social media for their own profit. So... I guess what I'm saying is you really can't be sure of anyone or anything you read online anymore! Especially when it comes to news coming out of Hollywood!

As the writer of the article that leaked the plot, I can confirm its authenticity. That really wouldn't matter though - it's not a simple thing to reshoot or reshape a movie. Filmmaking is simply a massive undertaking, whether it's a good film or not. One small change in the script or elsewhere will have repercussions throughout the project, a domino effect, and the fact remains that the studio, Paul Feig, Bill Murray, and everyone else involved didn't and don't want to make a GHOSTBUSTERS sequel.

As the writer of the article that leaked the plot, I can confirm its authenticity. That really wouldn't matter though - it's not a simple thing to reshoot or reshape a movie. Filmmaking is simply a massive undertaking, whether it's a good film or not. One small change in the script or elsewhere will have repercussions throughout the project, a domino effect, and the fact remains that the studio, Paul Feig, Bill Murray, and everyone else involved didn't and don't want to make a GHOSTBUSTERS sequel.

Here's a problem with the original Ghostbusters movies in terms of doing a follow up. They never treated ghosts as entities that existed in their universe on a regular basis. They're treated as a result of a single evil entity that's being summoned into the living world. And as Ghostbusters 2 established, once Gozer was gone, so were the ghosts. When Vigo is vanquished? So were the ghosts. So how is it that we can go back to having ghosts appear years later without resorting to the same mechanic? Well, Ghostbusters 2 tried and it wasn't much of a success.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back