Ghostbusters movie by Paul Feig

What people should be worried about is whether or not they can recapture any of the charm of the original. I am not a big Ghostbusters fan but I am a fan of Murray, Aykroyd, and Ramis. Anyone would have to be an idiot to realize that the comedy chemistry they brought together in Ghostbusters and individually in other movies was a product of their talent and also a product of the times. I find comedy nowadays to be unspectacular and lacking the wit and irony that many classics from the eighties had in spades. They need to channel an older era of comedy in order to make this anything more than a one weekend blockbuster.

Even if they somehow were able to have the perfect cast that would please everyone if they don't find that magic again the movie is just going to be a crappy comedy with a lot of CGi ghosts and slime bombs.

Let's try to conceptualize this another way.

Would the outrage have been this massive if GB had been cast with say.....an all African American cast? Or an all Asian cast? Would the outrage have been this massive if GB was rebooted in the 23rd century?

All of us here (I include myself in this), whine, complain, and tear apart the banality of Hollywood on a daily basis on this board. But no other "gimmick" move, casting or otherwise, immediately generated this kind of feedback so quickly and so virulently.

Who gives a ***** about Ghostbusters breaking though the glass ceiling of Hollywood action/adventure entertainment for women when LucasFilm and Disney are about to rewrite that book. Force Awakens and Rogue One will make more $ than the entire previous GB franchise combined and feature woman at the forefront.

They have already done it. Daisy Ridely is arguable the star of the Force Awakens and Rogue One has Felicity Jones as the only announced cast member which would likely indicate she is the lead. Jeyl's cause célèbre is going south....

Jeyl's cause célèbre is going south....

So my downfall is that I'll be getting what I want? Ok.

santarosalin_zpse100f06a.gif

Y anyone who raised any objections would be objecting to the idea that a woman could be a Ghostbuster -

--Jonah

Only up until the details got leaked. After that, it would still be our business as usual. People still would have gotten fired up with EVERYTHING being changed... No Peter, Ray, etc existing in this universe. No Ecto one. No Firehouse, No NYC. No same Proton Packs. and rightly so.

I wouldn't call it a downfall...but what you seem to want is something that isn't ghostbusters at it's core. It's an un organic process being forced on fans who don't want it and is ghostbusters in name only. sometimes I think you even work for the studio being one of the few people on here who doesn't think that this is going to be the death of the franchise ;o)..

They have already done it. Daisy Ridely is arguable the star of the Force Awakens and Rogue One has Felicity Jones as the only announced cast member which would likely indicate she is the lead. Jeyl's cause célèbre is going south....

Except LFL have just said "Daisy Ridley's/Felicity Jones' character is the central character of the [respective] film" and moved on to talk about other things. They didn't make their opening announcement "we don't have a script yet, but we're casting women in all the main roles because we thought it would be neat".

--Jonah

I wouldn't call it a downfall...but what you seem to want is something that isn't ghostbusters at it's core. It's an un organic process being forced on fans who don't want it and is ghostbusters in name only. sometimes I think you even work for the studio being one of the few people on here who doesn't think that this is going to be the death of the franchise ;o)..

And you get to define what is or is not Ghostbusters because.....?

I'm not saying nor even implying that this new Ghostbusters movie will be any good because of it's all female cast. In fact, I'm on the same boat with a lot of fans who don't like the idea that it's a reboot. I like sticking with established universes and there are plenty of different ways ghosts can appear despite Paul Fieg's statements. At the same time though, I understand why a reboot feels necessary because seeing how the Ghostbusters start up was a very good way of establishing the characters. We get to see what their strengths are, how they get involved in the paranormal and see how fast their business takes off.

I've always advocated that Ghostbusters should continue even if it didn't involve the original cast. The idea behind it is too awesome not to explore in different ways. I mean, it's one of the greatest accidental kids movies ever made! It encourages team work with people who are very different, they're involved in a high tech profession that doesn't resort to man vs man violence and it looks like a wickedly fun job! That's the big thing I took out of it when I was a kid.

Will this film disappoint? Maybe. It's totally possible. If there's anything you can count on, I won't stand for garbage. I used to worship Ridley Scott for everything he did and ALIEN was one of my most watched films of all time. When he was coming back to the universe for Prometheus, how could it possibly fail? And it has the ingredients that everyone here thinks will instantly gratify me. And it suuuuuuuuucked. I hated it. I hated the Shaw's character, I hated the dumb scientists, I hated the shoe horned in religious themes and I hated what they did to the Space Jockeys. HATED IT!

I'm going to give it a shot. If I hate it, I'll be sure to let you know. :)

Let's try to conceptualize this another way.

Would the outrage have been this massive if GB had been cast with say.....an all African American cast? Or an all Asian cast? Would the outrage have been this massive if GB was rebooted in the 23rd century?

All of us here (I include myself in this), whine, complain, and tear apart the banality of Hollywood on a daily basis on this board. But no other "gimmick" move, casting or otherwise, immediately generated this kind of feedback so quickly and so virulently.

It only generated the immediate feedback because of Feig's initial "That's who I'm gonna call" smart ass post. It read like "I don't give a damn about the fans. This is how it is and you can stick it".

He brought the backlash on himself and what is worse, he misjudged the controversy. It came back to bite him. He has no one to blame but himself! So he got what he wanted, everyone is talking about it. Now he should just go shut up and make the movie. If it sucks, no one will let him hear the end of it because of how boastful he was to begin with. If he had just shut up and made the movie and it sucked it just would have died. As is, he turned the spotlight on himself, not the movie.

Feig is giving "Ghostbusters" the standard Hollywood "gender flip" trope. (Evil Dead, Battlestar Galactica etc.) Which isn't always a bad thing, but Ghostbusters is still as relevant today as it was in 1984. The kids I work with wear the shirts, play with the pops, sing the song and love the movie. So the "standard" remake routine feels wrong to a lot of people.

It only generated the immediate feedback because of Feig's initial "That's who I'm gonna call" smart ass post. It read like "I don't give a damn about the fans. This is how it is and you can stick it".

He brought the backlash on himself and what is worse, he misjudged the controversy. It came back to bite him. He has no one to blame but himself! So he got what he wanted, everyone is talking about it. Now he should just go shut up and make the movie. If it sucks, no one will let him hear the end of it because of how boastful he was to begin with. If he had just shut up and made the movie and it sucked it just would have died. As is, he turned the spotlight on himself, not the movie.

Feig is giving "Ghostbusters" the standard Hollywood "gender flip" trope. (Evil Dead, Battlestar Galactica etc.) Which isn't always a bad thing, but Ghostbusters is still as relevant today as it was in 1984. The kids I work with wear the shirts, play with the pops, sing the song and love the movie. So the "standard" remake routine feels wrong to a lot of people.

Erm, no. It generated that feedback because lots of people are sexist.

e.g.: http://jezebel.com/new-all-feminist-ghostbusters-is-a-punch-in-the-dick-to-1682292125

And you get to define what is or is not Ghostbusters because.....?

because the first two movies defined what it is. IDW stuck with that formula and made it work (shock.....we love the new women characters, and they respected EVERYTHING that came before it and set in the same universe..IT CAN BE DONE!)

This is being forced on the rights holders, Aykroyd and Reitman, just like it is the fans. you know they don't like it and are trying to make the best of it...we sure as hell know we don't like what we've heard. it's only the studio and feig that are saying 'shut up and like it, cause it's all you're going to get from now on.'

the fact that we're even talking about sexism at all rather than how much the ideas we've heard so far suck, is probably a part of their advertising plan to keep people talking about it and click baiting it right up until release date.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back