Gerry Anderson Weathering Help required.

samster27

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can assist me. I have spray painted a large 22" model with cellulose paint. Now I need to weather it and I am after a wash that I can slather all over the model and then remove as required. My thinking is to wipe it awayto a greater and lesser extent to show overall weathering.

I could thin oils with mineral spirit but I do not know what effect themineral spirit may have on the cellulose paint.

I understand there are weathering clays that might do the job, but could these be matt sealed, Maybe acrylic or enamel varnish spray

Another option could be water thinned acrylics...but can they be easily wiped off?

This is what I am working on

IMG_20160814_121254.jpg Its the Imai 1/144 Big Thunderbird 2. The colour is Pantone 363 the actual Century 21 colour used on the original model. Its very bright so will need considerable weathering. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to research how the original model was weathered but I did read on a later show about a tin of dirty rubbing compound that was used on models...hence my thinking of an overall wash.

Any help would be appreciated.

Was just looking at your Eagle thread...looking great with very subtle patches on the nose...love it. Will have a go with oils then...cheers man.

Question though....can decals be laid over the oils or will it need to be gloss sealed first?

D

I usually use 2b pencil lead which I scribble on a post it note and then rub onto the model with a finger. The post it note gives a nice hard edge. You can also streak the pencil with a damp cotton bud. I seal with a light dusting of acrylic laquer but you'd be better with cellulose lacquer. I used this technique on my TB2 scratchbuild which I've posted on this forum.

I am not sure what they used when doing the original Models, probably sloppy washes that was wiped off :). As jaitea said I always found Oils the way to go as you can build it up slowly and modulate the color in one way or another. Pastels is also one of my favorites as you can sort of emulate an "airbrush" but much more controlled and again building it up to a hue/color of your choice.

I know that ILM models were painted in a kind of "Sloppy" way, now that don't mean they where not precise, but that Sloppiness gives it a sorta natural feel/look in my opinion.

EDIT: GAWDDAM! there are some serious Fans out there doing some extraordinary work Link...and the Original Models are still simply stunning Link

Actually now seeing the Original Models I am sure they used simple "Masking" like Post Its with Airbrush to do the Panel Weathering...I think you could emulate that using Pastels easy and to get that "Grimy" look simply using something like "Starship Filth" from "502 Abteilung, MIG Productions"...its an Oil color I ALWAYS Use when doing Star Wars models...always works :).

Last edited:
I usually use 2b pencil lead which I scribble on a post it note and then rub onto the model with a finger. The post it note gives a nice hard edge. You can also streak the pencil with a damp cotton bud. I seal with a light dusting of acrylic laquer but you'd be better with cellulose lacquer. I used this technique on my TB2 scratchbuild which I've posted on this forum.

Kev, will be using the post it note approach on the panels lines...Cheers

Cap...well aware of David Sissons and his amazing works. Had the oppurtinity to see them up close a couple of years back and they are beautiful works of art....and HUGE!

Will have a mull over, maybe buy some pastels...I already have the Mig oils in preperation for my Deagostini Falcon which I will be starting soon.

The cellulose shouldn't be effected by anything your proposing to use. The Humbrol weathering range of liquids and powder are great and if you don't like the result they're not that difficult to remove - see their web site.
Did the company that made the aerosol not offer to matt the paint or did you want a gloss finish?

They used black powder paint and smothered the model with it. Then wiped of as much as they can. It naturally catches in all changes of surface direction, and dulls the gloss at the same time. Panel lines were black bic and also HB pencil. When completed, sealed in with a clear coat.

Also most flying models ended up with a light dusting of powder blue paint on the upper surfaces from painting out the wires.
Here's a couple of 'blue paint dust' examples

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/531917405971644654/

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/531917405970928612/

Jim

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back