Game of Thrones

Can YOU tell me if they're splicing in scenes that are chronologically accurate to the timeline of the first book, but which appear in subsequent books?

Without getting into specifics, I would say that all of the episodes have been in the "spirit" of the novels, consistent with the characters and the storyline, but many scenes have been removed, condensed, or reconfigured. So that means there are some new scenes created for the series. Since the books are books, they let us hear internal dialogues as well as give us lots of expository text. They chose not to have a narrator on the show, which means they need to either show what happens visually or explain what people are feeling through dialogue.

So, for example, although I don't recall a specific scene in which Loras and Renly shave each other, it sums up their relationship in the books.

Another example is Ros, the prostitute who beds Tyrion, then Theon, then travels to King's Landing to work for Littlefinger. I don't think she was a character in the books at all, but she was created for the series in order to give those characters someone to talk to, so we, the audience, could learn more about them. Thus, Littlefinger gets to deliver a monologue that he would never have given to any of the main characters, but which basically encapsulates what we would gradually learn about him over the course of the entire book.

So as I said, through all the new scenes and the stuff that was changed, it still remains generally within the spirit of the books, in that the characters are still consistent with the books and the plot is still proceeding in the same way.

Molten Gold = 1947 Degrees (if pure 24ct) F

That's why melting it in a cookpot in a tent...Nope, and his head would have popped like an egg in a microwave etc.

This is a world where the seasons last for years, but are of varying duration. Which means the tilt of the planet's axis changes at random.
In the frozen north, there appear to be zombies. Which means not only the re-animation of dead tissue, but also the movement of said tissue in an environment in which it should be frozen solid.
Dragons once coexisted with human beings, as recorded in written accounts, and evidenced by remaining bones and eggs. Actual flying, fire-breathing dragons, with heads ten feet tall.

But of all the fantastical, incredible elements of this world, the fact that gold melts at a lower temperature (or that their cooking fires are hotter, or both) is the thing you have the most trouble accepting?
:lol

havent got round to watching this yet, have the whole series recorded its just finding the time. Can anyone think of anything its comparable too ?

Throw the Sopranos into a medieval setting. Or Dune. Or the Godfather. Take the time to watch the first episode. I think you'll like it. As mentioned earlier, there's nudity, violence, language, sex, and more nudity. So not something to watch when the kids, grandparents, or visiting clergy are there.

Been really enjoying this series so far.
Anyone working on any props from the series yet?
Was thinking the 3 Dragon eggs might be cool to do.

I'm impressed with the pacing of the show. We have, what, two more episodes? But they're just about done with the first book, as I recall. I just ordered the second and third books on Amazon, so I'll get caught up this summer. Not getting into the 4th one until the rest of the series is finished, though.

And I have to say, while the whole cast is terrific, I think the two standouts for me are Peter Dinklage and Aidan Gillen. They take these two morally ambiguous characters and just make them so damn LIKEABLE. They're written that way in the book, yes, but the acting could've gone in any number of directions and I just think these two hit it out of the park.

I'd hate to have to pick a favorite episode, but if I did this week's would definitely be on the short list. The only way to make it better would have been to include Littlefinger, but cutting anything out to make room would be as much a crime.

I had to laugh when I saw that Walder Frey was played by the actor who plays Filch in Harry Potter. But he did a great job with his one scene.

I'm at the penultimate episode. Oh WOW!
Never read the books so don't know how well the characters are portrayed (extremely well I would imagine) but I like it when a show really get's your blood boiling over the actions of a particular character.
Can't wait for the finale.

I just took it to mean that the guy was green, generally, and had the real misfortune of going up against the Mountain, who neatly dispatched him. The one with no gorget was the pretty-boy knight, as I recall.

It was also a matter of the Mountain knowing exactly what he was doing and it had very little, to nothing, to do with his armor or lack there of, or experience of lack there of.

Yeah wow...

I was shocked that Stark was killed! So much for the main characters being protected! I can't believe they got Sean Bean then killed his character off that soon! I hope Arya kills that little punk.

Does anyone know if we are going to have to wait another year for Season 2? Since it's HBO I assume so.

aaaaahahah.. that video is hilarious! And yes, that is around the same reaction I had to deal with from all my friends who have not read the book! Just a tad bit more colorful with the language.. haha. LOVE IT.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back