Foam: How to make this material Hard?

yes, this is an old method of sealing foam for crafts and such. It works great.

You don't really need the plasti-dip either. I think it's over kill. The paint job won't last forever. No sense to spend big bucks on it.

But the paint will crack less if you do indeed use it. So get it if you can afford it.

When I have tested out school glue watered down it still tends deform the foam. Granted I don't need a lot of flex in what I am building but I have some slip on gauntlets that need a little bit of give.

Plastidip over in the UK is $22. It's a costly item! But if a can was to do two gauntlets then I'm all for it.

When I have tested out school glue watered down it still tends deform the foam. Granted I don't need a lot of flex in what I am building but I have some slip on gauntlets that need a little bit of give.

Plastidip over in the UK is $22. It's a costly item! But if a can was to do two gauntlets then I'm all for it.

How thick is your foam? :confused

I use 6mm thick foam and I don't see it deform at all.

How thick is your foam? :confused

I use 6mm thick foam and I don't see it deform at all.

I use 6mm also, It's a camping mat but I was describe it as closed cell and has a really smooth finish.

The PVA stretches over the top of the foam and doesn't allow it return to original shape. Could this be due to not been watered down enough?

By the way Stealth... Break Dancing Iron Man is my favourite YouTube video this year!! :lol

Oh camping mats. I had a run in with those on my first Foam build. I guess I can see that happening with that kind of foam as it's pretty flimsy.

Not the best choice. From my experience, the key is the density of the foam.
The floor mat foam is a good default starter foam/intermediate foam

There are lots of better quality type foams out there.
That doesn't interest me though, as I refuse to spend more than $80 bucks building these foam costumes in the end. Heh...

That being said, the Anti-fatigue floor mat eva type foam will always be default for me I guess.
Maybe try a little denser foam and see how it goes?

Thanks Tom. I'm glad you liked The video :)

Oh camping mats. I had a run in with those on my first Foam build. I guess I can see that happening with that kind of foam as it's pretty flimsy.

Not the best choice. From my experience, the key is the density of the foam.
The floor mat foam is a good default starter foam/intermediate foam

There are lots of better quality type foams out there.
That doesn't interest me though, as I refuse to spend more than $80 bucks building these foam costumes in the end. Heh...

That being said, the Anti-fatigue floor mat eva type foam will always be default for me I guess.
Maybe try a little denser foam and see how it goes?

Thanks Tom. I'm glad you liked The video :)

Yeah I used them in an attempt at an Iron Man build but they were not really good enough. I plan to restart using some higher density material.

However, I am building some Thor Armour and ended up just using these as I'm throwing it together quickly in time for New Year, and I'm trying to keep costs down.

I'm going to persevere with this material for this build and then move onto something better. I'm really happy with the way my armour is turning out!

I've shown all my friends the video! Everyone loves it! :lol

not to highjack this thread, I too Live in Canada to be precise in Coastal northern BC a small little town, I need a PVA glue, we have the normal wood glue and Elmer glue will this work on our costumes. thanks so much to STEALTH and others who have made you-tube videos, without you guys showing us n00bs we would be totally lost.

Hey FreakT,
I am also from Germany and I'm building an Iron Man suit. It's a bit late to start for Fastnacht but the best of luck to you. You should definetly check on the Thread by JFCustom! He has the best tips on foam speed building. Also, the best foam for building the suit is available here: case-connection.de. It's the Plastazote ld45. It has the best density to work with and it is cheap too. If you want to harden the material after you have finished your pieces (I recommend this for the helmet) you can use Holzleim. Just brush on the foam in several layers. Make sure to let it dry properly before you apply the next layer. This will make the foam fairly rigid. If you want it to be really hard you can use Kunstharzspachtel over the layer of glue. I am currently trying out EZE Kote. It's a resin made for foam on a water basis. No toxic fumes and easy to work with. I am going to let you know if this stuff is as awesome as it sounds. If you have any further questions or need this in German, PM me.

As far as making the foam harder, for a more plastic feel on the outside, what does everyone recommend?

I've heard people mention some type of epoxy or fiberglass resin in other threads. Does anyone have any brand names and experiences/advice using these things? I live in the US, btw.

As far as making the foam harder, for a more plastic feel on the outside, what does everyone recommend?

I've heard people mention some type of epoxy or fiberglass resin in other threads. Does anyone have any brand names and experiences/advice using these things? I live in the US, btw.

im in the US and ive heard that fiberglass resin will melt the foam, ive never tried to but have thought about doing it as well

Use elmers glue to seal the foam by just painting it on the foam;p then give it a chance to dry, then use bondo. I had the best results from this set up and it still allowed me to move the foam but only slightly any else the bondo will crack but i am trying to make as hard as possible.

If you use the elmer's glue method make sure that you get the stuff that DOES NOT wash off with water. The first layer went on great....every layer after that rewetted? the previous layer making the whole thing a glue mess. I am not sure if they ship internationally but Hobby Lobby carries a great foam. Silly winks. Comes in a couple different colours in sheets of 5mm thick 12" x 18" for $1.27. I created complete mark 4 armour and only used 30 sheets or so. Total costume cost without electronics about $50.

Hi guys

Just thought I'd drop this here for you, Xrobot's technique for coating foam in hard plastic ;)

http://www.therpf.com/f24/how-plastic-coat-foam-costume-pieces-146539/

I used it for making this lobe plate for my colonial marine helmet, worked a treat :thumbsup
8PG1RkZ.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back