Flynn's helmet WIP

Gosh, if everyone keeps bumping this, it means I have to keep working on it : )

This project was put on hold so I could finish my DL-44 build and now that that's done I guess I better get back to it. I'm almost done with the front half, I just need to punch some vinyl circles and redo the strip that loops around the center as it's cut quite poorly. I'll me making a template for this piece and any other similar tough-to-measure pieces on the back half and will make them available when complete.

4727906460_f7cafe57e8.jpg

I've also decided that I will cover the other existing hole on the side pieces and glue a stud on the back to use to attach them to the helmet. Originally I thought the vinyl would cover these holes, but I guess not.

I haven't done a whole lot with it lately, but need to finish it so hopefully I will update more frequently.

Great stuff!

What kind of vinyl are you using? Are you cutting up a big sheet or using thin tape?

I'm wanting to do the same thing but it seems like an intimidating process. Any tips?

Nick

I have a sheet, and I'm just guessing on lengths and widths according to pics on Tronsector. The hardest part is getting the paint to stick; I've read that the helmet is made from a plastic that is really hard to get paint to adhere to. Plan A was to paint it white, mask off the lines, paint the lines, and clear over the whole thing. All of the tapes I tried peeled the paint off in big chunks.

I went to school for collision repair so I know a lot of the tricks to painting plastics, but they just don't seem to work on this guy. But that's ok, the vinyl shall be good enough.

There were dark blue and black versions of this helmet... I wonder what the chances are that on the originals they just taped where they wanted the lines... painted the helmet white... then pulled the tape off revealing the black underneath?

Been thinking about picking one of these up here soon.

There were dark blue and black versions of this helmet... I wonder what the chances are that on the originals they just taped where they wanted the lines... painted the helmet white... then pulled the tape off revealing the black underneath?

Been thinking about picking one of these up here soon.

From the pics on Tronsector, it's pretty obvious the lines were taped, but your idea doesn't sound half bad, if you could get them to pull off clean that is.

The one I'm working on was white, but I have another black one to use as well. The first one is a nice test.

Here's an odd thought that came to me as I was trying to sleep last night...

What if you took the front and back shell... Molded them, and cast them in clear...

Anyone following me here?

I would LOVE to see a GREY helmet with clear lines with blue LEDs underneath (yes I know the real props were white and black)

To me that's what they look like in the movie. Never did I think of them as white as a kid. And even today the suits still look grey (hell so do there faces for that matter!)

I know we are all about SA here... And even though the ATAT drivers looked white when I was a kid I can now see them as off white/grey and if and when I get an ATAT helmet kit it will be grey... but I've always wanted a Tron/flynn helmet that looks the way it does on screen!

Am I just crazy? (don't answer that!)

Finally getting back to this project.

I fixed up the rear and filled the remaining holes on the side pieces, painted and cleared them. The next step is to let them harden for a couple days and finish up the decal work. Hoping to pick up some matting for the pads in the next couple days....

4819024311_c8dd098c6f_z.jpg

4819646548_d39f658349_z.jpg

4819024633_65ef5d6dae_z.jpg

4819024851_bffbc227a0_z.jpg

Crappy camera phone pic, but I'm almost done. Just need to finish the other side piece and get mah foam for the interior...

4834682281_fab99f7511.jpg

Well it's done enough to my liking. The foam didn't turn out exactly like I wanted, but after 3 attempts I'm happy with it. Now, on to other projects!

4879495903_4c0a32d289_z.jpg

4880098934_11dabf311f_z.jpg

4879486323_84f94980a1_z.jpg

4879480753_01a00cec00_z.jpg

Very impressed with how nice this turned out. I'll be doing a Flynn helmet as well and wondered if you can share the reference material you used for the detailing? I have the right side picture of the original prop and the one of 'The Dude' wearing it but that's all.

Very impressed with how nice this turned out. I'll be doing a Flynn helmet as well and wondered if you can share the reference material you used for the detailing? I have the right side picture of the original prop and the one of 'The Dude' wearing it but that's all.

Very nice looking, Lindy!

Kurty, do you want BTS pics or reference from the movie? I have a lot of both.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back