Floquil Color Matching

Docmani

So I have been recently experimenting with some vintage (and not so vintage) Floquil I've been collecting. I decided to do a survey of the bottle types and colors that I have to see if I can start a database. I've cataloged my results so far in a Google Sheet at:

I know there has been a great deal of research like this here in the past but most of the original research seems to have been pulled, so I decided to start from scratch. Below you can see the first color samplings I've done. I then scanned these colors with my Spectro 1. The results are in the above spreadsheet. Both the CIELab and RGB colors are there including what bottle type they were sampled from.

Lots of different bottle types - It would be very helpful to find out which the actual SW/ILM era - I'm guessing somewhere between 1 and 2 in my chart, but thats only a guess. Input is definitely welcome!

I managed to have some success using my Paint Decoder App in matching quite a few of these colors. For example, I got a very good match to Caboose Red with Tamiya:

19 parts Flat White (XF-2)
10 parts Yellow Green (XF-4)
200 parts Flat Red (XF-7)
1 part Flat Brown (XF-10)

So at this point I'm looking for help. I want to expand this database! I'm sure there are plenty of people here who may have bottles of vintage Floquil. If you don't mind making some color samples and don't have a color scanner (Like a Nix or a Colormuse), I would be happy to scan the colors and add them to the database. I would keep the spreadsheet public for anyone to use for whatever purpose they wanted.

If you're willing to help, feel free to post here or contact me!

IMG_1006.jpg

I have one or two Floquil bottles that are not on your bottle photo list. Clearly Testors (same exact bottle as model master) but a green and white label as I recall.

I’ll try to get some photos tomorrow of them for you.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back