Flexi Filler, Flexi Paint, Flexi Sealer issues

xiionn

Jr Member
Hi Everyone, im building a few peices, and running into issues with foam. My first foam efforts, not going to plan at all!

Flexi products. I have had some terrible issues with these products. Being in the UK Plastidip is hard to come by, and the number of options for putting a finish on foam seem endless, unless you are in the UK!

So, i bought some Flexi paint, as it states it doesnt need a sealer, some Flexi filler, as its sandable, and the top coat.

Issue number one, the filler is in a tub, and hard to get where you want it, unless its a flat seam. I also had issues wet sanding, with 240, 320, 400, 600, 800 and right up to 1000. I tried them all. What happens is even left to go off for several days, it wont sand well, it creates tiny bobbles, or the foam around it breaks up. wherever it is on the foam, you get a line, or it shows through the paint. I put it on, spread it thin, waiting a little bit, then rubbing my wet finger over it to smooth it out. It leaves very visible lines of very shiny black.

Flexi paint. Two methods tried, Airbrushing by watering it down with RO and Deinonised water, it sprays on, then it beads, tiny dropplets, even with a mist coat. Brushing on a thin coat, watered down. Again, beads, but i went over it many times with a damp brush to get it flat....worked ok. But, picked up SO much from the air, so many specks and bobbles turned up, as its tacky.

The sealer. So far only brushed on, three items, non watered down. Im left with millions of tiny streaks of what appears to be white scratches, only in places, 50% of the areas are perfect. Using an ultra soft brush.

Im from an automotive background, painting and spraying. Im very proficient with any hard paints, but this is my first rubber type finish. To me the results after many many hours are awful. Am i doing something wrong with these products? or are they just bad?

Would i be better off glassing these peices, and finishing them with normal paints?

Any help, advice, harsh reality checks welcome

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back