First Thread WIP Batman for Halloween

CptPunchface

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone I have lurked for a little over a year now and feel it is time to start my own thread. I have already built the obligatory foam Ironman but I won't post it for now.
Last night I worked on the chest and am pretty pleased with the result. The only thing I didn't get to my liking is I couldn't get the center of the bat sunk into the chest as much as it probably should be. This is a small stain on it lol not sure what it is as the foam sat under my house for a few months but i think it may be resin.

P9060117-1.jpg

P9060116.jpg

P9060112.jpg

Well I love the begins torso and gauntlets so I will try to make those as close as possible. I am using the pdf's by archy but I may use a pep TDK cowl to make an armored looking bat helmet. I want the legs to have a more heavily armored look so not sure what I'll do for them. But it is foam and it is just for halloween so I won't be depressed if it comes out odd.

I see, just asking as your chest area is off TDK and the bat upper abs are from Begins so right now it's a meld of the two.

Oh, well I know you are as close to an expert as you can get on costuming so I love getting your feedback but I only drew that line through the pecs with a sharpie so when it comes time to paint it won't show through. I am not entirely sure why it was on the pattern but I copied it over anyway lol. Maybe to help line up the bat? I will try and get the ab section sans ribs done tonight and post them up with the chest so it will make a bit more sense. I know the torso is supposed to be one piece but the foam tiles I am using (old workout mat) aren't lage enough to accomodate that. I am hoping that doing them seperately and gluing them together will acheive the same look. One question though for this half inch foam, should I exaggerate the bends/folds? The chest seems to have already started to flatten out.

I am really liking the black and gray scheme I have going right now and after I seal everything I will probably repaint it that way. Sort of a classic but armored batman with a yellow yellow utility belt.

Worked a bit on the gauntlets tonight but I still need to add the fins. I'm not quite sure how I will does those just now maybe some plastic slid up from underneath the foam. The templates didn't have the extra piece reaching up towards the elbow but I saw it on an action figure and liked it.

P9080123.jpg

P9080124.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Also I have been thinking about the belt. Right now I am looking at a yellow diver's belt with fake pouches. I am working on one of the pouches now and if it turns out I'll post it in the morning.

Thanks guys! I have always loved Batman and for the past few years I have always wanted a cool costume of his. I don't want to have an exact copy of any of his styles though. I want to make it mine, you know?
Stealth, you are pretty much the reason I started trying to make my own costumes, well you and pepakura lol. I remember seeing your old war machine on youtube so long ago and thought it was awesome (was literally awe struck). So thanks for unintentionally getting me started in this hobby.

Worked a bit on the utility belt and I think I have found what I will use. Rather than using a nylon 2inch strap I decided to use a length of a tie down strap which is also 2 inches wide. The tie down strap is more silky and fluid and it just feels and looks way better.

P9090125.jpg

For the pouches I had an epiphany as I was walking through Walmart yesterday. I found this little outlet splitter box thingy and though it'd be perfect.

P9070122.jpg

I cut off the bottom beveled part and bondo'd over the face plates after having removed all the metal bits inside. The only problem I have with this is I won't have any functioning pouches or boxes. I may find something similiar to put further back on the belt to hold my cell phone and keys. I also want to have at least one folding batarang and a grapple gun of some sorts. Batman can't be without his toys.

P9090126.jpg

P9090127.jpg

Let me know what you think of the boxes/belt. I will look around to find a cover for the buckle as the quick release part just doesn't look right to me.

WIP Batman for Halloween

I found this light cover that I like for the buckle. It's a bit oversized but I think it will do the trick.

P9090129.jpg

well, hell man, this will inspire me to do something like this one day as well.

so ... thank YOU!

I am LOVING this build

I like the blend of the two movie suits. Looks like you're pretty creative when it comes to the belt! I'm looking forward to your progress!

I found this other cover that I may use as the buckle. Seems a bit more subtle and sleek. I will buy the rest of the belt boxes tonight I think five more will do. Also, I bought scroll saw this morning so I will see if I can throw together a batarang tonight after work.

P9100131.jpg

Thanks for all the encouragement! It means a lot to hop on here and see all the kind words. I just bought the last of the outlet boxes apparently they are a seasonal item so I got lucky there. I should have a finished utility belt by tomorrow morning! I think I may use the extremis pep files for the shoulders and maybe the shins. I really need to start the cowl/helmet though. I think the TDK pep files floating about could easily be made to look like the armored cowl from the new game Injustice.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back