Fauno Pan's Labyrinth full body sculpt -- FINISHED, final photos in first post+end

Re: Fauno, Pan's Labyrinth, full body sculpt. Head sculpt in progress PG 3

Faunosaurus.jpg

I think that the nose needs to contour upwards into the left and right spirals, at the moment the bridge is meeting ^ <like that in the middle, it should be more consistent in width going upwards.

the upper eyelid should extend down and around to signify where the lower eyelid 'meat' comes across from - and there is an extra line of flesh to add between the eyelid extension and the nose.

Was trying to find a video for you yesterday, spent 30 mins but no luck :C Basically was demonstrating adding tiny balls of clay to build the areas up (it will look holey and crap) but its a quick way to get the primary, then secondary forms in the right place - WITHOUT being too precious about the nice surface you've made xD

Thanks, elro, that's a good catch about blocking. I'm REALLY happy with how the nose looks now that there's the deep groves on either side and the eyes moved out. Symmetry is next!

As for adding the clay/the video: probably more helpful to someone working with WED clay! This is done in Monster Clay so making it smooth is as simple as can be. It's a great material for blocking out.

Amazing work so far! Cant wait to see this being horn, you will make Fauno proud!

Whenever Im sculpting, it always get to a point where it feels like this (hand motions and everything) :

tumblr_lk1hwcFLUh1qzzykjo1_500.png

"OH THERE YOU ARE, *insert name*"

If you need a refresher of the scene : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZKT60zuVkA

You have practically just done that :D very excellent!!

Great project :) Looking forward to see the rest ofr the process. I am very gratefull that you document it so extensively.
I am currently looking into doing a full bodysuit like this to be used in larp's - just a generic faun kinda thing really so this will def come in handy when I start that "little" project. Are you going for digitigrade stilts or the greenscreen-solution they had in the movie?

Keep the good work going, really enjoy seeing it all come together!
/MM

Are you going for digitigrade stilts or the greenscreen-solution they had in the movie?

I'll be moving forward with the green screen solution--not cheating at all because it's what they did on the original! :D The digigrade stilts just won't give me the level of bend I need to get it right, it's too severe.

Quick update: Started blocking out the horns with armature wire!

995045_381517658636275_1250638040_n.jpg

I'll be moving forward with the green screen solution--not cheating at all because it's what they did on the original! :D The digigrade stilts just won't give me the level of bend I need to get it right, it's too severe.

Yeah, I've seen the pictures of the solution. Pretty nice! :) I have also been trying to find a way to build a digitigrade solution but as you say. Way to severe of a bend. For me it's not going to be a problem since I'll just build an inspired version. I just love the wood/tree-feel of the skin. Wont be going for any hairy legs when I start off.

Your build will be a big help, so thank you in advance for all your hard work! Best of luck along the way!

I've been watching this video as a quick "starter" on hair punching into a silicone wig.

Anyone have any tips on where to buy hair, yak or otherwise, here in the states?

Last edited by a moderator:

This is looking freaking amazing. What are you going to use to make the horns? Are you going to be inserting eye pieces into the final mold?

To answer my own question above (le sigh) I guess I can't stop myself from scouring the internet. I found a great salt water fly makers website that sells a TON of different types of hair in various colors for dirt cheap. Loaded up on yak and islandic sheep hair. Saltwater Flies! SALTWATERFLIES.COM -- The finest in saltwater fly fishing.

This is looking freaking amazing. What are you going to use to make the horns? Are you going to be inserting eye pieces into the final mold?

Thank you!

I'm going to make the horns out of flexfoamit! X, which will allow me not to blind or severely hurt people if I whack them in the head accidentally, and also will let them be rather light, comaratively. They will connect to the helmet I'll be wearing under the mask via screws and/or bolts--AFTER the mask goes on over my face. Hopefully it will cut down on weight. I used this foam on my Wrex and Judoon heads and I really like it!

Yes there will be eyes on the final mold. After a talk with another moldmaker I was convinced I should also put on falsies into the sculpt before I mold it so it will fit seamlessly onto the globes once I have them attached. Here's again what I will look like before the mask goes on:

996159_376726599115381_1476511629_n.jpg

I'm going to extend the top of that helmet down, probably using EVA foam so its soft around my nose, so as for it to look more like Doug Jones' original "under the face" support system:

panDDT~15.jpg

The real eyes will insert into there. I'm making a quick sculpt of their shape now so as to mold it before putting the actual face sculpt under plaster; I'll get a more exact fit this way.

I CAN see, only a little though, through the tear ducts. If you look at this image (this is a link to my flickr feed) and go as large as you can, you can make out my livecasts' eyes/eyelids near the tearducts.

IMG_3943 | Flickr ? Condivisione di foto!

Amazing work! - can't wait to see the final pieces - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread

Keep it up!

Thanks for sharing

Phil

Sculpting just one horn took me the entire weekend. But at least it looks cool.

9120172877_745f331971_b.jpg

9120172739_b7ccaebf59_b.jpg

9120173051_a9faf79da8_b.jpg

Thank you :D

I have no photo updates, sadly, but have been molding and sculpting the second horn this weekend. Right hand plaster mold was done and de-molded, as well as the ears. Right horn went under silicone rather than plaster as it will be done in FlexFoamIT!. (I had to mold... I ran out of clay!)

Here's an update on the project as a whole:

SCULPTS DONE AND MOLDED:
2/3. Ears 1 and 2
4. Right horn
8. Left hand
9. Right hand
10. Upper bicep (one sculpt to be used twice)
16. Hoof (one sculpt to be used twice)
Left shoulder/Right shoulder (previously included in the chestpiece sculpt)
11. Chestpiece/Stomach and lower back sculpt
12. Upper Back

SCULPTS FINISHED (not yet molded)
6. Face and horn base

TO BE SCULPTED ASAP:
5. Left horn (about half done)
7. Neckpiece
14/15. Thighs 1 and 2
17/18. Lower legs one and two

NON-SCULPT ITEMS
19/20. Left and Right foot platforms
21. Bodysuit texturing
1. Under-face-sculpt (to be attached to the helmet as a support for the eyes)

And then of course there's the assembly/painting. I'll be using a base tint for the latex and then going to texturize. Right now the goal is to get all the molds done by August so I can have that month for painting/assembly; I suspect painting will probably actually all happen in the last two weeks.

This is amazing! When do you plan to wear this at DragonCon? I must hunt you down and get pictures! I've only just started to learn the mold making process (for an Irathient forehead appliance) so I'm very happy you've shared your process! Thanks!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back