Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them... paper thread

Follows, thanks for sharing these. It is nice to see the Daily Prophet from 1926, and some new stuff. The ads are of real interest, like the American Quidditch League.

I need your thought on this. Found this photo on instagram, on the back are six playing cards.

View attachment 684056

From left to right.
1. probably the King, and in this case the King of Diamonds. We have seen all 12 face cards, so nothing new there.
2. The Joker, same as the one on the Gnarlak poster.
3. Is this the Ace of Diamonds? There is just one Diamond visible.
4. Definetly spades, but with the bird snake art in the middle. This could be the Ace of Spades, since most decks have a Ace of Spades that's different to the rest of the Aces. In between the Spades is another symbol, I can't figure out what it would be? Maybe the same symbol as they used on the back of the cards?
5. 9 of Diamonds, think this one is visible in the movie too.
6. 10 of Spades, we've seen this one on the picture that came from a facebook group. Just like the other three numbered cards, there is no symbol right underneath the number. I think they left it out, just like some other parts of the desgin.

If my assumptions are correct, these six cards should look like this:
View attachment 684057

Let me know what you think!

TB. That's exactly what they are. I'm kind of disappointed we didn't see them in the film. Now it makes it even harder for us to recreate lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TB. That's exactly what they are. I'm kind of disappointed we didn't see them in the film. Now it makes it even harder for us to recreate lol

I've spotted a 5 of diamonds, a 9 of diamonds and one face card in the movie. But in the background and thus nothing useful.

As requested some of the pics of our opening night here, and the alley way next to the cinema. -most of the other put up around the place didn't make it and were pinched! (Which whilst annoying, I'm taking as a compliment.)
(please excuse my inability to be photographed properly! Given the time and budget I didn't chase accuracy in the costume as much as I would normaly.)

IMG_3449.JPGIMG_3450.JPGIMG_3451.JPGIMG_3470.JPGIMG_3482.JPGIMG_3446.JPG

I'll have to watch the film again, and try not to look out for every single possible paper prop!

Will be happy to be able to go back to leisurely making things, not rushing to get things done for the release!

(And I've asked ... unfortunately it's not possible to 'screenshot' images from the file they use in the projectors. As the Newspapers at the beginning would be great to have the ultra high resolution.)

there are some of these cards as miniature paper props in this book (sorry, i don't know the VO version of this book ?)
61Rc3nNPlsL._SX487_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I need your thought on this. Found this photo on instagram, on the back are six playing cards.

View attachment 684056

From left to right.
1. probably the King, and in this case the King of Diamonds. We have seen all 12 face cards, so nothing new there.
2. The Joker, same as the one on the Gnarlak poster.
3. Is this the Ace of Diamonds? There is just one Diamond visible.
4. Definetly spades, but with the bird snake art in the middle. This could be the Ace of Spades, since most decks have a Ace of Spades that's different to the rest of the Aces. In between the Spades is another symbol, I can't figure out what it would be? Maybe the same symbol as they used on the back of the cards?
5. 9 of Diamonds, think this one is visible in the movie too.
6. 10 of Spades, we've seen this one on the picture that came from a facebook group. Just like the other three numbered cards, there is no symbol right underneath the number. I think they left it out, just like some other parts of the desgin.

If my assumptions are correct, these six cards should look like this:
View attachment 684057

Let me know what you think!

Here is what I see, The Joker and the 9 and 10 look right, The 4 of Diamonds and Spades are not right. Both cards have the wrong clip art top and bottom of the cards. Now what they might be, I don't know.

there are some of these cards as miniature paper props in this book (sorry, i don't know the VO version of this book ?)
View attachment 684126

This is called Newt Scamander: A Movie scrapbook in English.

I've ordered the Case of Beasts book, so I can scan stuff when I get it.

Awesome 1920's Daily Prophet! I did spot some of the paper props in the film.

I saw the movie this morning and well....It was not as I expected it to be, it was way better! It was so good to be back in a new adventure in the Wizarding World. I didn't pay that much attention to the props, but I do love the Niffler, what a Fantastic Beast. After I saw the movie, I went to Target and they had the Case of Beasts book, but was sold out when I got there, and it went for $36. I am glad I pre-ordered it, and IF Amazon is right I will get it Saturday.

So the back of the playing cards are totally different than what I seen.
0bafff60d78f7c1a31bafb1b7a20c9bc.jpg

Also is this a new card!?3300c703c24a1c3bac916f94e6302cd3.jpg

Also my name is Albie so this made me smile seeing it as part of the props
4139c66538eadfe15fc61325e8db1e32.jpg

Last edited:
Here is what I see, The Joker and the 9 and 10 look right, The 4 of Diamonds and Spades are not right. Both cards have the wrong clip art top and bottom of the cards. Now what they might be, I don't know.
You are right. The King on the left has a different symbol on top, very weird. The 4 of Spades (if it even is a 4?, maybe an ace?, or something completely different) should look like this than, found some more reference in the movie scrapbook.

Schermafbeelding 2016-11-19 om 11.36.56.png

So the back of the playing cards are totally different than what I seen.

Also is this a new card!?
Great finds Joma! Does anyone know why there would be playing cards in a deck with the number 32 on it?

Joma, and TB, awesome finds. I am confused on the fine print by the borders are in different places than on the MinaLima site. Which is right or are both right. As for the 32, it might be someone's lucky number. On the props from the TV series Firefly, the lucky number 47 were incorporated into the designs by the Graphic Designer, so it might be the same here.

Joma, it is so cool that your name is part of a prop. For me, I was happy to see my home state, Alabama used on the front page of the Ghost, and seeing the ad on screen in the movie.

Joma, and TB, awesome finds. I am confused on the fine print by the borders are in different places than on the MinaLima site. Which is right or are both right. As for the 32, it might be someone's lucky number. On the props from the TV series Firefly, the lucky number 47 were incorporated into the designs by the Graphic Designer, so it might be the same here.

Joma, it is so cool that your name is part of a prop. For me, I was happy to see my home state, Alabama used on the front page of the Ghost, and seeing the ad on screen in the movie.

These cards are starting to be a bit crazy lol. Wonder if their are different versions of the decks or what!? Lol

It was a good surprise seeing my name. I want to blow it up and frame it. Lol cheesy right!

I am loving these props so much! I need to start printing some haha.

I'm seeing FB again today to enjoy the actual movie. On Thursday's screening I was more into looking for all the props. Lol
I'm so excited to start making these with all you

I've seen the movie for the third time now. Wondering if anyone has seen the bottle or label for the Giggle Water? I did not spot it in the movie, but it would be a nice prop to have.

I've seen the movie for the third time now. Wondering if anyone has seen the bottle or label for the Giggle Water? I did not spot it in the movie, but it would be a nice prop to have.

I'll be on the lookout when I see it again tonight.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back