FanExpo 2014 (August 28-31)

I agree with Michael and Yrien. This was meant to be a meetup for members of the forum, because we had the prop party earlier this summer, but I feel that I didn't get to talk to everyone since I was alternatively supervising my table and my sewing equipment, and fielding questions about the embroidery machine. I think everyone kinda did this, too. I wanted a laid back gathering for us to have some beers and talk shop. I hope that doesn't sound elitist or something, because that's not how I mean it! Just that we always leave the prop party with the feeling of "I wish I had more time to talk to those people who were across the room all day!"

You are, of course, all welcome to bring friends and such who may not be members. We just don't want people who don't understand what this forum is about to come and flood the bar.

Costuming is not cosplay. It's a very subtle distinction, but the distinction exists.

Anybody still need a weekend ticket and/or hotel room? I have a friend trying to sell her ticket for $115 no tax, and we have an open space in our room due to last minute cancellation from one roommate.

Just checked... Holy crap! $110 for Matt Smith (photo or autograph)!

Ya, I'm still going to get him to sign my TARDIS sign, he'll be the 6th Doctor to do so, but damn. Must be nice to be such a hot ticket item!

Yea...even the $700 tickets for the cast event are sold out. I'm just getting the extra GA ticket for the two captains event instead. I can't even imagine what will happen with Shatner and Stewart on stage together o_O

Hopefully will have DS9/Nemesis uniforms complete for this! Already started drafting my patterns. lol One week to go!

My husband and I are getting photo ops this year for the first time ever - Patrick Stewart (because we just had to! ST:TNG was one of my first forays into sci-fi, and I also love him as Professor X) and Dave Bautista (on Saturday, when I'll be dressed as Star-Lord and my friend will be Gamora). That should be fun, since he's 6'5" and I'm only 5'1"...

But yeah, as fun as the Doctor Who cast would be, that's just way too much money for me!

So for those of us who likely won't be staying at the Con right to closing did you want to meet a little earlier? That way people can just show up as they become available.

So for those of us who likely won't be staying at the Con right to closing did you want to meet a little earlier? That way people can just show up as they become available.

I'm not sure what time we'll be available, but that sounds like a good idea!

- - - Updated - - -

What about a group photo at the show, in our work. Do we want to try that?

I would love to meet up for a group photo, but the logistics of it might be tricky, especially given how bad the cell reception has been in past years. Maybe pick a time and place and take a pic with however many people manage to get there?

Maybe the end of Friday or Saturday. After the scheduled events are done and everyone is leaving.

We're supposed to be meeting friends for dinner on Friday but I have no idea what time because he's a bit of a flake and hasn't let us know yet. I would potentially be in for either day, pending the timing on dinner. I will have cool costumes on both days (Sniper from Team Fortress 2 on Friday, and Star-Lord on Saturday).

Pick a time and a location, and hopefully we can get people together!

Do you mean to meet up earlier at the pub? People can really show up anytime and we'll just try to recognize each other.

I'm trying to get to the con right now but stuck on the 401 because we left much later than I wanted.

You can buy tickets at the door right? And if you're in costume, do you need to do anything extra to get in?

Get there EARLY, cannot stress this enough, the line to buy at the door will be long, and when they reach max capacity, they won't let anyone into the event, even if you pre-purchased your tickets.

For costumes, the only thing that needs to be checked out is if you have any weapon-looking accessories. (Guns, swords, etc.) There are rules that is on the main website. http://fanexpocanada.com/props-weapons-policy/

Sorry I haven posted pics from the pub night yet - I went to bed as soon as I got back to the room Thursday, then I had a migraine all day yesterday. :( I can't figure out how to post pics from my phone, but it was lovely to meet everyone! I will try to post when I get home next week.

Sorry guys - I'm a slacker! I basically did nothing for two days after we got home. ;) Here's a pic from the pub night, and I uploaded my pics from the con to FB as well. Please tag/share if you recognize people!

Pub Night1.JPG

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152631990706648.1073741848.731721647&type=1&l=90f200ef4a

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back