Episode 7 Rebel Pilot Helmet

Padulus

Hi All,
I have been going over the trailer again and again, as i'm many of you have. I'm trying to collect as much info on the new rebel pilot helmet sported by Oscar Isaac. There's the short footage in the cockpit and a couple of profile concept art. As anybody else managed to find anything else? I've started a built, using a skate helmet as a base and roughing out the earpiece section with cardboard, sealed and bondo'd, still working on the cheek sections. Anyway I haven't managed to find a thread dedicated to the pilot helmet so I thought it'd start one here. If I've managed to miss a dedicated thread please direct me to it :)

rebel pilot profile.jpg

Prob not great for reference but you can also briefly see a helmet in the Force for Change vid where the new X-wing is revealed.

Aye, I've had a good look at that but it's a bit too far away to get any details. Bit ambitious for my first build I know, but it's such an awesome outfit :)

Yeah, I figured it probably wouldn't help much. That's the only other look at the helmet that I know of. I wish you luck in this because I agree it's a great looking helmet!

Those sketched are someone's work based on the teaser and the Force For Change video, so that's all we've got for the foreseeable future. There were some drone pics of a couple of pilots, but I don't know if you could even see helmets in those, let alone make out any detail.

This is my most wanted item from the film so far. I loved that look of it. Looking forward to someone doing a run or providing pep files even if its conceptual.

Im very interested in the build as well. I will be following along on this post, but honestly I feel that right now there is just so little information to go off of....... As soon as we get some more pictures or details I will be building on for sure!

Do any of you chaps have a suggested method? Or any tutorials you could direct me at? I'm going to go ahead with the build even with the limited info, I need the practice :)

If it was me, I would try by starting with some sort of helmet, possible an old style foot ball helmet or something along those lines. I would then job it up and use either foam or styrene to craft the rest of it. Then simply bondo that puppy up. Others might have some other tips or methods, but thats what I would say.

My guess is that it is one of those cheap Chinese flight helmets that they have spruced up with something covering the visor cover and something over the ears/cheeks. Spray-tint the original visor or tint in Rit dye.

I think if I were going to base this helmet off of some sort of existing helmet, I would go with a type of tactical helmet. The main reason is the way the back is truncated in the back.

I would go with something sort of round and without ear covering. Maybe like this..

152.jpg

Or a scooter helmet like this...

AFX-FX42Pilot-Flatblack-enlarge-2012.jpg

That second one looks pretty good. I'm not sure so much about the first because the bottom of the back seems a bit too straight vertically rather than curving in.

Ep-VII-X-Wing-Pilot.jpg

This was posted by someone on the Rebel Legion forum. It looks like a somewhat close match. Not perfect, but close...

http://www.dhgate.com/product/motorcycle-helmet-vespa-tk-style-racing-jet/168041638.html
My guess is that it is one of those cheap Chinese flight helmets that they have spruced up ...
I told you so ... ;)

Look closer at the image in the lower right corner. It looks as if there is a low mohawk.

I pulled the plug and purchased one of the flight helmets linked.... it it works out it will be awesome, and if not I still have a cool flight helmet. And recommendations on how to fabricate the cheek panels?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back