Enemies at the Gate

starfighter66

for anyone who has watched the Movie "Enemies at the Gate" you can get something better than a replica, Dunhams Sports in Michigan and other sporting goods stores across the states sell the signature rifle seen in the movie, the Mosin Nagant,these rifles are sold complete with bayonet and accessories for as little at $89. I purchased one for myself and for a gun made in 1938 it is a tack driver - looks good to boot.
00ffa17767d1d55145f243f77600047c.jpg

I own 3 different Mosin-Nagant style rifles...1 carbine, 1 sniper model, and one infantry model like the one shown above. They are superb guns and the 7.62x54R round they fire is top notch (I use hand-loaded brass cased stuff, not that cheap ukrainian crap) for long distance accuracy. And as for sore shoulders, it's not that bad. Most people who complain about sore shoulders from firing large calibre weapons aren't using proper shooting techniques which result in overly hard recoil being felt rather than absorbed.

What an excellent find! I had no idea that this model of rifle was still being made... gonna have to see if I can find one... thanks! :)

Btw, wasn't the movie titled "Enemy at the Gates" here in the US?

I got mine a few years ago at a Dunhams in Pennsylvania. I think they all carry them. Be careful though; some are questionable quality. On mine the firing pin was bent.

Alteregos, AFAIK they don't make them anymore...there is just a TON (well, many tons) of surplus.

Virtually every country that received military aid from the Soviet Union, China, and Eastern Europe during the Cold War used Mosin–Nagants at various times. Middle Eastern countries within the sphere of Soviet influence — Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and Palestinian fighters — have received them in addition to other more modern arms. Mosin–Nagants have also seen action in the hands of the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan during the Soviet Union's occupation of the country during the 1970s and the 1980s. Their use in Afghanistan continued on well into the 1990s and the early 21st century by Northern Alliance forces.

Even after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Mosin–Nagants are still commonly found on modern battlefields around the world. They are being used by insurgent forces in the Iraq War and the current war in Afghanistan. Separatists have also used the rifles alongside more modern Russian firearms in the Second war in Chechnya. I believe By the end of WWII, approximately 17 million M91/30 rifles had been produced. Many of these rifles are in still great shape, some never have been issued, more still have seen a rough life, it is just a matter of being able to go to a store that has them and being able to inspect the bore for pitting from the use of corrosive ammo, counterboring and shape in general.

Last edited:
What an excellent find! I had no idea that this model of rifle was still being made...
They actually stopped making them in the late 1940s - but there are still about 14 trillion (rough estimate :lol) surplus rifles floating around the planet. You can buy a whole crate of 20 of them for around $1000 in some places. I forget the actual numbers, but the various Mosin-Nagant models were produced on the order of tens of millions of units. Remington and Westinghouse manufactured some here in the US for a while, and the Finnish-made units are still highly desirable for their superior build quality and accuracy.

Even a non-prop model should be in any history buff's inventory. :)

And as for sore shoulders, it's not that bad. Most people who complain about sore shoulders from firing large calibre weapons aren't using proper shooting techniques which result in overly hard recoil being felt rather than absorbed.

I've been target shooting for 25 years and I'm pretty sure I know proper techniques.
I think it has more to do with the weight of the rifle.
Shooting 7.62 x 54R vs. British .303 in a SMLE or 30-06 in an M1 the recoil is noticeably different.
The Mosin-Nagant is very lightweight compared to the SMLE and M1.

thats what its called here in the u.k. too

-z

Whatever the title they practically ruined it with a Wild West standoff at the end! Only Hollywood would take a story with an already crazy ending (shooting the German sniper through his scope) and thinking it needed to be spruced up! :angry

I have seen several ads for local gun shops in our Sun. paper. So they must have a lot of them. I thought they were kind of cheap (price) for the quality of the gun. Still I'm waiting for M1 Garands to pop up at that price! :lol

I happened to see this and can you believe it is a MOSIN?? The company is actually making this, a bullpup - they are prototyping as we speak. This is the one they are currently offering on the bottom, I so want one, my shoulder just aches at the thought.
sniper.gif

MN_Packer_3d_color.jpg

MN_Rail_outside_1.JPG

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back