Efx X Wing

Don't think I'd like the hinges if they remain in their present form, but the cockpit glass has always been an item of irritation for me on display pieces. Canopy glass wasn't used in the filming miniatures for certain specific reasons that make perfect sense for a filming model, however for a display piece it is far less than impressive IMHO.

In smaller scale models it tends to look unnatural, but in larger scales it adds to a realistic look. So far I've had two people(not prop nuts) comment that my MR Falcon was missing it's "windshield". Even my brother while helping me unpack the beast commented something along the lines of: "Looks like they left the cockpit glass out on yours." The Falcon is so large that it's painfully obvious there's a big open space where in reality a canopy would be, it just doesn't look right, like looking at a car with no windshield.

For those unaccustomed to looking at models done to replicate the filming miniatures it's something that jumps out as looking odd, and for me, while I do love accuracy, I don't prefer it at the expense of realism or a quality looking prop. I think studying filming props can in a way over time change ones perception of what looks good to them. Now that's neither good nor bad, but accurate I think.

So what are the differences between the "Hero" and "Pyro" wings because I'm sure CC said the Pyro mould was produced from a casting of a hero?

There is also photo evidence of both Red5 & Red2 having cockpit glass fitted although I can't be sure it was installed during actual filming.

So what are the differences between the "Hero" and "Pyro" wings because I'm sure CC said the Pyro mould was produced from a casting of a hero?

The main difference is that the Hero wings are hollow. There are a top and a bottom plate. You can see it's hollow in the inner cutouts. The U-rods go through the wings. that's allow space for wiring.
Since the pyro wings were molded from hero wings, I assume they filled this space before molding.

The Force is strong with this one

This is great for what it's intended to be: a mass-produced collector's item. It has the shape and the size, and the proper greeblies, for Red Five, except in the cockpit, where it absolutely must impress the proletariat. I know I'm impressed.

As a bit of an X-Wing hyper-compulsive myself, it's not surprising to find that there are some folks who see this product as a "toy." While I think it's important not to diminish the considerable effort put into this project by its makers, and the talented people here on this forum who helped them at every step, it seems to me that its detractors are correct in this regard. This is a toy.

Then these are all toys. That's what makes this hobby fun, right? Repeat after me: I like to play with toys, and I needn't be ashamed. I like to play with toys...

As others have already mentioned, those of us who prefer our replicas to be uber-accurate do have options, thanks the amazing talent of artists like Moe and Mike S., as well as every dweeb who's contributed to the knowledge-base along the way.

Can't wait to see the paint master for the eFx Red Five. Assuming someone around here might be helping with that part as well? I can think of a few likely candidates.

eFX X-Wing... NICE JOB!!!

I can definitely see some differences between the eFX prototype version and the fantastic original photos we were able to borrow and use of the filming model back in '76 to clone RED 5 in the build Matt did for the collection. However... as everyone has stated... this will indeed be a great collectible!

The delay for it's release, as I was told by Barry, was due to the fact they had to start completely over. This has probably been stated before now, but this is NOT the MR bird! It is a brand new scratch build! eFX was just not happy with the bird MR handed them. That stated, this looks pretty darned good considering the time table they did it in. I am certain there will be improvements... plus a great paint up always helps, eh?! LOLOLOL ;)

I am glad they decided to place the glass in the canopy. The original ANH filming models DID HAVE GLASS... I have seen the proof. I don't know at what point they decided to remove it, but it is one aspect of my RED 5 clone that I decided NOT to go forward with due to photography. Nightrider is correct in that the glare is just ridiculous! LOLOLOL. Since eFX has placed the glass in... it takes care of that issue for me... but at the cost of yet another X-wing! LOLOLOLOL... I have to continue reminding myself that it is for the promotion of the art! EVERYTHING will be seen! :D

My bottom line is that I believe eFX did a wonderful job with this so far! I can't wait to view the final piece! (y)love:thumbsup

Last edited:
Re: eFX X-Wing... NICE JOB!!!

I'm in for one. I can't really pass too much judgement until they are a little later in development though as I'm guessing this is still a pretty early prototype.

I'm sorry but I can't get over the fact that once you derive from the studio model AS SCEEN on film it no longer is a replica of a filming miniature but something else all together and should be called or classified as studio scale replica.

Yes it is well documented that the models had glass in the cockpits but the glare from the lighting meant the removal of the said glass for the filming. See star wars cinemafantastique or Sci-fi models of Fact and Fiction for original/fresh interviews with the actual builders.

Idealized cockpits made to look like the full size mock-up...

Opening canopy... (toyish) incorporation.

Over accentuated panel lines...

Whats next landing gear?

The Force is strong with this one

This is great for what it's intended to be: a mass-produced collector's item. It has the shape and the size, and the proper greeblies, for Red Five, except in the cockpit, where it absolutely must impress the proletariat. I know I'm impressed.

As a bit of an X-Wing hyper-compulsive myself, it's not surprising to find that there are some folks who see this product as a "toy." While I think it's important not to diminish the considerable effort put into this project by its makers, and the talented people here on this forum who helped them at every step, it seems to me that its detractors are correct in this regard. This is a toy.

Then these are all toys. That's what makes this hobby fun, right? Repeat after me: I like to play with toys, and I needn't be ashamed. I like to play with toys...

As others have already mentioned, those of us who prefer our replicas to be uber-accurate do have options, thanks the amazing talent of artists like Moe and Mike S., as well as every dweeb who's contributed to the knowledge-base along the way.

Can't wait to see the paint master for the eFx Red Five. Assuming someone around here might be helping with that part as well? I can think of a few likely candidates.

I like to play with toys, and I needn't be ashamed

Bryan of eFx told me on Thursday that this is not the same as the MR prototype - they started over.

That is absolutely correct! :) As stated in my earlier post, that is exactly what I was told by Barry as well, and why it has yet to be further along than it is. ;) I know eFX wants at least RED 5 released before the years end. I think they can make it.

I new the large scale red 3 had glass but I was unaware the ANH filming models originally did, that's cool Kurt, thanks.
Glad to be able to pass along the something good my friend...lololol... to be honest... I was taken aback as well when I was shown the photos. I suppose "Shocked" is more the word for my reaction! LOLOLOLOLOLOL I am still in hopes those few photos can be shown by their owner soon. Sometimes legal stuff just plain sucks. ;) At least there is nothing stating what was seen cannot be discussed, eh? ;) I can really say that Matt's build can truly be used as a reference for the original. Just remember the three differences between the original and his build. What R2 is doing (it really just sits normal), I have no canopy glass (there was glass in the ANH birds), and the cockpit/pilot is different from the original filming model. ;) Other than those three things... his build is what I consider to be DEAD ON. :D The cages are even on the lower interior wings that were thought NOT to be on RED 5... turns out they really were! LOLOLOLOLOL. I actually feel that I own RED 5 now! LOLOLOLOL... that is a weird feeling indeed. LOLOLOLOL

In some of the recent, GREAT builds, there are only minor interpretive differences according to clients wishes. Matt, Richard, Bob, Dean, Jason... and a few others (I am too tired to remember everyone right now..lololol) really have their stuff down with the original RED 5 now. Reproducing it is second nature to them now as they have all done it now.

That stated... I know what eFX produces will not be exactly like what the original RED 5 paint job looked like. They already know this. The basic markings can be easily replicated, but RED 5 turned out MUCH more intricate than can be reproduced in mass factory form. This piece is for the person who wants a GREAT display piece without the fuss and muss of having one built for the extra cost. It is a darned good piece in my opinion. If a modeler or collector wants anything specific done, they either have to do it themselves, or pay someone to do it for them. 100% accurate at a reasonable cost (what the average consumer will pay) just isn't achievable in today's economy. With this bird, eFX is offering a top of the line piece, probably mostly designed with the "blue collar" priced consumer in mind.... and that is a GREAT thing in my opinion. :D

Curious what was so off about the MR prototype. When pics of it were posted, people around here didn't seem to find much wrong with it.

I think the main hull shape for one was a tad off Jay, the "steps" that run along the hull side were slightly angled to my fuzzy memory, more akin to the full size mocks ups? The nose seemed off a bit too, maybe too small?
Not bagging on it, it still would have sold in droves.
Im actually looking forward to seeing this final Efx bird, lined up with a few V3's!

lee

Curious what was so off about the MR prototype. When pics of it were posted, people around here didn't seem to find much wrong with it.

Jay... this really is a good question. And in replying, please remember that I don't consider myself in any way to be an expert on the subject. :) This is about my being honest about what we do know of RED 5, and definitely not criticizing in any way. I believe there may be a difference in reference used...perhaps from later in the trilogy than the '76 photos? I just don't know for certain.

I agree with what Lee's assessment is. There are also some VERY minor details that are just... not quite right (in accordance to the filming model reference we were shown). I have to say...truly...these are things that just don't need to be pursued in this juncture of their project. And... this is in the EXTREME nit-picking area of this hobby. Studio Scale purists will wish to make some mods... while people like myself? Well... I have always stated if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck! ;) LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I do know that eFX has some VERY good reference that I would indeed LOVE to see someday! ;) :D LOLOLOL. I just don't know from what point in the trilogy it is from. That stated, I am certain whomever built their prototype would not go against what their reference was.

What I want to know is why the hull has to be scratch built at all if actual castings of the pyros exist??

Hell even Red2 still exists.

What I want to know is why the hull has to be scratch built at all if actual castings of the pyros exist??

Hell even Red2 still exists.

LOLOLOLOL... another great question! :)

Basically, the ICONS release was the pyro casting. Thus... (because they are identical due to the exact measurements being used) the Captain Cardboard version is what you would end up with. ;) The HERO is completely different looking. ;)

LOLOLOLOL... another great question! :)

Basically, the ICONS release was the pyro casting. Thus... (because they are identical due to the exact measurements being used) the Captain Cardboard version is what you would end up with. ;) The HERO is completely different looking. ;)

But that's the part where I get confused Kurt. How can the Hero be completely different looking when the Pyro was produced from a casting taken off a Hero??? Sure the pyro is left & right and the hero top & bottom but the details should still be the same.

From my understanding the Pyro was rebuilt after its use in the movie. The front of the thing was missing so they remade it... hence the short squaty finished hull. Many of us here contributed kit part info and kit parts for the EFX release. It has a true studio model background, but with the addin live action detailling to the cockpit and opening hinged canopy Im gonna pass. Salzo's ver. III xwing will satisfy my studio scale palet.

As DS said before ...test footage showed the X Wings had glass but the reflections were to hard for the camera (reflected the blue from the blue sceen and you could see right through the ship) so they lost them, not to sure why this is a huge revelation of info, its been common knowledge here for ar least 10 years if not more.

For me the closest thing they (big companies) ever got right as far as studio scale goes is the falcon, and it still has it's problems with "rivet counters." It seemed they listend to the folks who knew about the minature unlike.. the Y Wing (didnt want to make a exact replica wanted a combination of the Red and yellow versions)... ATAT (Didnt use actual kit parts to make the master pattern but scanned and printed simular parts from the computer and finally the 3/4 studio scale snowspeeder... thank God for Gort!)

I'm sure the collector customer will be 100% satisified with all five mentioned. Thats the market base NOT us rivet counters aka kit bashers.

Im sure with all its bells and whistles this EFX XWing will be something grand to see and add to a Star Wars collection... maybe if you press R2's head you could hear Old Ben say "use the force luke..." it should be looked at as a media model NOT a studio scale replica of an actual filming minature.. I guess we have to make those if we want them.

Cheers to EFX for picking up where MR left off. Large scale models are cool.

So when you say "the Pyro" are you're refering to the thing that Icons used?

Are the castings that members such as Rogue Studios, Dymerski & Beaz own different Pyro castings or the same rebuilt nose castings?

I can see surface details on the wing patterns that Beaz owns not found on any replica produced to date. Would be interesting to know if the photos Jason owns of Red5 show those same details.

But that's the part where I get confused Kurt. How can the Hero be completely different looking when the Pyro was produced from a casting taken off a Hero??? Sure the pyro is left & right and the hero top & bottom but the details should still be the same.

Ahh... I totally understand the question. I am not certain there is a viable answer that would be acceptable. The pyros were both skinnier, and shorter than the hero birds. Now, as I understand it from being informed so, the Hero birds were created first using a top and bottom configuration (as you stated) in order that the mechanisms inside could work. When they converted a hero cast into a pyro cast, cutting and using right and left halves so that the wings could only be glued on, they had to cut away from the original castings, leaving a little less to work with. Then sanding and fitting left even smaller areas to work with. This, plus the limited technology of molding and casting back then made every x-wing made back then much different from the next. Each X-wing we see from Ep IV is different from the other in both casting and parts used. The difference between the Heros and the Pyros just didn't seem to concern them back then since they saw little screen time. ;)

All that stated and the question is still truly unanswered. Nobody really documented anything back then. The one thing we do know is how different the heros and pyros were to each other... just by looking at them. ;)

I guess that is little to no help at all...lolololololol. Sorry my friend. :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back