EFX Mark IX Science tricorder

Hey Jeyl!

There is not need to use a sharpie to fix it! Let us replace it for you! You should not have to do that , though I do appreciate you for making an effort to "fix" it!

If you use a sharpie or paint, then it is going to look like touch up paint on a car, that looks horrible. (Or maybe that is just my painting skill!)

And you know, silver is almost always IMPOSSIBLE to match.

Send me an email at customerservice@efxcollectibles.com and I will take care of you!

Thanks!

Bryan

Now THAT, my friends, is customer service! :thumbsup
EFX has just made it to the top of my "Best Vendors" list...and I haven't even ordered the tricorder yet!

Haven't received mine from The Plasma Infusion yet.
Keeping my fingers crossed that there will be no finish or electronics defects.
But it's also really good to know that eFX is so responsive to these issues when they do arise.:thumbsup

I've received mine and, as has already been shown, the packaging is exquisite. The effort and detail put into making this tricorder "something special" is beyond my wildest expectations. The sleeved-box in which it sits, complete with a leather (?) pull-tab is beautifully executed. The tricorder is finely cast and the graphics are sharp and smooth. I have been waiting for this for two years and, Bryan, you and the good people at EFX have made it well worth the wait. It is always obvious when someone cares about they're work. Crafting and designing the packaging for this prop was clearly done by people who love their work. This was my first prop purchase ever...knowing that EFX produces this kind of product, it certainly won't be my last. Thank you.

I received mine yesterday.....what a beautiful piece! I will eventually get the case when I can save up some cash. If you are on the fence about this piece, purchase it, you will not regret it.

I just got mine its #167. I have to just go on record saying that EFX has got it right. I really think the packaging is primo. This is really a a well thought out and finished product. I also got the acrylic cover which was also packed great. Other companies should look at this packaging job and take notes. THIS IS WHAT WE WANT!!! EFX WELL DONE!!

Number 105 arrived today! :D

I have been checking EFX's website daily and watching my email for an update on the shipping status and nothing. I was beginning to wonder if I had been forgotten then I get in from out-of-town and find a FedEx slip on the door. I've been expecting another package to arrive and never thought this could be the Tricorder. I sent the misses to pick it up and she was excited to see "EFX" on the box and demanded we open it right away. lol

Fresh out of the box:
efx_tric01.jpg

More fresh out of the box (no flash):
efx_tric02.jpg

As it sits on the stand (no flash):
efx_tric03.jpg

And, it takes its place on the top shelf of the display cabinet. It looks great in my collection! ;)
efx_tric04.jpg

Beautiful work and a hearty "Thank You" to those over at EFX! :D

Last edited:
I really REALLY hope some dealer somewhere has one when I get back from my business trip and have the extra cash to get one. I was in on the MR run... and well... when EFX announced theirs I didn't have the cash! Then, I got rather blindsided by the announcement that the run was over... only saw it 2 days before it ended.
I seriously gotta get one of these. I'm glad EFX came through for the true Trek fans and produced the product that should have been from the beginning. I only wish the run wasn't so limited!
Congrats to everyone that has their shinyness in their hands! You should all watch First Contact tonight!

eFX versus MR Tricorder:

Here are some pictures comparing the eFX version of the MK IX Tricorder to the MR version that is more rarely seen. I agree with much of what people have said so far, and I am glad that Bryan made good on the failings of MR. It speaks to the integrity of his company, and I am excited to see what they can do with this license. Overall I am very happy with this product. The biggest complaint on my model is that the windows for the "Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta" lights arent cut quite right. You can see what I am describing in the seventh picture down. Looks like they were cut just a little too far to the left, and it does bother me looking at it. I was also a little bummed out that the display plaque doesnt fit in the case, but I was very happy that Brent Spiner's signature doesnt cover any of the other text on my placard. The differences between the two versions are pretty minor. The only two material differences are the body color and the light diffusion on the main screen. The MR is slightly darker than the eFX version, and the "correct" color is really somewhere in between the two. I like that my MR Tricorder matches my MR phaser. My biggest beef with the MR was that with the LEDs set so far back in the body, if you hold the Tricorder at an angle, the lights dont really line up. The better diffusion helps this problem a little. I took the photos from and angle, and you can see that the issue is much less sever on the eFX version. At the same time there is slightly better definition with the MR version and it looks better when not lit. All in all I dont think there is one version I prefer over the other. Below are a bunch of pictures of the two side by side. The eFX is on the left and the MR is on the right. For the few pictures with one tricorder showing at a time, the eFX is first and the MR is second.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Where do you put the third battery? I only see two slots...

@Aaron: even the screen-used tricorders have the memory indicators Alpha-Delta slightly more left aligned than the old Mark VII, which were in the middle. I have googled them and were surprised too - so the high-end replicas are correct to the screen-used one.

Last edited:
YenChih Lin - The third battery goes below the other 2 batteris. If you look real close, you can see a spot for it.

I think eFX has done a really great job on the Tricorder and I applaud them for taking on something that was done elsewhere that a lot of people had problems with. What is funny are the same people are now bashing eFX for the same things, like the closing ratchet. They told us a long time ago that there was no way to get it perfect. If you don't want to buy it fine, but at least come up with a better reason. If you don't like the closing sound, then don't close it and you won't have that problem.

Last edited:
Just a quick addition to my post. In case it means anything extra (which to me it didn't, but it's a lovely bonus), the packaging is phenomenal. Think 'Apple' product done to the extreme, but without taking away any of the excitement of opening it (i.e. it doesn't slow you down in getting it out!).

Fantastic job, and mine was number 11.

@Aaron: even the screen-used tricorders have the memory indicators Alpha-Delta slightly more left aligned than the old Mark VII, which were in the middle. I have googled them and were surprised too - so the high-end replicas are correct to the screen-used one.

No bud, that's not it, and I'm well aware that the tricorder went through several revisions over the course of the franchise. Maybe I didn't describe my problem with the tricorder well. Furthermore, I believe it to be an isolated incident with my model because I don't see this on the other pictures people have posted. The area behind those "windows" should be cut out to allow the lights to show through. The cut out doesn't align with the "windows" on my model and there is a small area to the left side still opaque. Kinda just makes the windows look like little squares and not rectangles. Does that make more sense?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back