Edgar Wright’s Baby Driver (Post-release)

how does it compare to "Drive"?

Totally different films - only similarities are that they revolve around crime that happens to include a driver. I could also include awesome sound design in the similarities I suppose.

Drive is a slow burn, indepth look into a troubled psyche where we see flashes of true self throughout, set in a pretty bleak world.

Baby Driver is a (pardon the oxymoron) a controlled frenetic, energetic kinetic film where we see personality splashed onto the screen in an almost musical fashion without being cheesy. EDIT3: If the word "musical" puts you off where it has been used as a descriptive word, not a noun for the film genre, then I can't really help you - other than it may be worth expanding horizons a little, might find new things to enjoy? Not that I should have to clarify - but people aren't breaking into song for full set numbers here.

I love both films. Both great films, but not really fair for comparison, I think.

Edit: Not seeing it because of a characters name seems like an awfully good way to miss out on cinematic experiences. Your loss, chief.

Edit2: This is nothing like Reservoir Dogs, and nothing like Fast and Furious...

Last edited:
Just saw it, was better than most movies out there lately I have to say .
I would like to see the same movie again shot from "Buddy's" characters point of view . "Baby's" character would have seemed to be a ***** !

Got pulled over leaving the theatre thought I was still at the movie for a second . lol .

My wife and I enjoyed it! All the different facets of film making and sound really worked together well. All the actors played their characters great!

Edit: forgot to add - the only downside is that some of the stuff works only because they make the Atlanta PD out to be remarkably incompetent.

i don't think this is true. Early in the film, we have a competent ring leader with connections and plans and they were successful. Once the shoe drops they were on the bad guys consistently.

I'm sensing near "music video" is the idea?

No. It is just a film that where the music bleeds into the video. I guess GotG would be a good example. I did just purchase the MP3 soundtrack so will be listening to it all again soon!

Great flick - a little slow at times, but it was needed for some character development. Edgar's streak of making great entertainment remains intact. This is a lot like a Wright doing a Tarantino movie, but a really, really, really good Tarantino movie.

One thing I couldn't help but think during the movie is how well this could have worked as the basis for the young Han movie. Ansel Elgort seems like he would be a great young Han - much more than what I've see of Alden Ehrenreich.

Courtney Hoffman: Designing Costumes for Auteurs | FilmInk

Interview with costume designer Courtney Hoffman. Baby's jacket was custom made using different jackets from Topshop. More info about other costumes in the above article.

" Back to the Baby character, can you tell us about the jacket that he wears in the movie?

“He’s wearing the same costume the whole movie, and it’s like Shaun of the Dead for me; what is that costume that people will want to emulate? So we ended up making his jacket out of three different jackets that we’ve “frankensteined” together. It was made out of a different bunch of Topshop jackets actually. We tried like 80 jackets. When you pick one costume for a movie, it is way harder than if you have 40.

“I didn’t want that we could buy out of the stores because he’s not buying new clothes. He doesn’t have money so I wanted something that felt second-hand so when we put this jacket together, and it was actually really affordable, it would’ve been really real that that’s a jacket he may have gotten from a thrift store or something.

“And then already on Twitter, because of the paparazzi pictures I’m getting tweets like, ‘are you gonna make those jackets? Can we buy a jacket? I want Baby’s jacket!’ It’s crazy how people that love Edgar’s films, they love the aesthetic of the films and they’re paying attention.” "

I loved this movie, was engrossed the whole time which is pretty rare for me lately. Normally something happens in the theater that makes me painfully conscious of my surroundings and pulls me out of viewing.

Side note, I don't know how anyone will walk away from this movie not in love with Lily James

I dunno. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it was just okay for me. Felt it was mediocre at best, and expected, well...more car chase scenes.

I dunno. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it was just okay for me. Felt it was mediocre at best, and expected, well...more car chase scenes.
Im totally in the same camp. Saw this the other day and my expectations were sort of high considering it was Edgar Wright and man. Talk about let down. I have thoroughly loved every one of EW's movies, but this fell really flat to me. Dialogue wasnt particularly funny, the car sequences were few and far between, I didnt really care about the main character, I hate to say it....but it was kinda boring. And none of the music really clicked with me either. And I think I was kind of rolling my eyes with the romance aspect of it, it just seemed TOO unrealistic, I mean, there is suspension of disbelief and all, but what would compel that girl, whom is cute and sweet, to wait for 5 years for a guy she JUST met. I dunno, maybe Im getting old.

Finally it came out here, and I jumped on the first chance I got. The trailers were insane, and while the movie was a notch under the Tequila trailer, it was a hell of a ride ! It’s for these kind of movie experiences I fell in love with the movie world. Also, while I absolutely loathe the kind of haircut John Hamm’s Buddy sports, weirdly, it suits him really well.
”this ***** is f-ing bananas” resumes it well.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back