Dying Fabric?

It turned out alot better then it did the first time, that's for sure.

The second time around I used un-iodized salt and more of it, I put the pan on a heat diffuser on the stove and really made sure the powder was dissolved.

Also, I unfolded the fabric completely, draped it over my shoulder and slowly put it in the water as flat as I could making sure the dye wicked up the fabric more thoroughly, I used a broken shovel handle to agitate the fabric which gave me alot more leverage and I was much more consistent with the agitation, 5 mins. on, 5 mins, off fro the whole time.

So, I'm not sure if it was one thing or a culmination of things that I did that yielded far better results then the first time.

It's not perfect by any means, but unlike 90% of the Jawas out there, I'm going to weather this one, so I don't think the light spots and inconsistencies will be that noticeable.

It's crazy how all of the pictures vary in color and even then, none of them actually convey the true color of the material I'm seeing in person.
The pictures are either too red or too orange.

Please let me know what you think, good or bad, doesn't matter.

IMGP6515.jpg

IMGP6507.jpg

IMGP6512.jpg

Wow! Photographic conditions definitely come into play here as the colors are markedly different from top to bottom, but I'd say the bottom-most one seems a more consistent rendition of the screen versions. Very nice results! I'm not seeing any splotchiness at all. :thumbsup

Is your pattern going to be a do-it-yourself version or have you gotten something else from the rpf to work with? How about the bandoliers and blaster, etc.?

Nice work!

It turned out alot better then it did the first time, that's for sure.

The second time around I used un-iodized salt and more of it, I put the pan on a heat diffuser on the stove and really made sure the powder was dissolved.

Also, I unfolded the fabric completely, draped it over my shoulder and slowly put it in the water as flat as I could making sure the dye wicked up the fabric more thoroughly, I used a broken shovel handle to agitate the fabric which gave me alot more leverage and I was much more consistent with the agitation, 5 mins. on, 5 mins, off fro the whole time.

So, I'm not sure if it was one thing or a culmination of things that I did that yielded far better results then the first time.

It's not perfect by any means, but unlike 90% of the Jawas out there, I'm going to weather this one, so I don't think the light spots and inconsistencies will be that noticeable.

It's crazy how all of the pictures vary in color and even then, none of them actually convey the true color of the material I'm seeing in person.
The pictures are either too red or too orange.

Please let me know what you think, good or bad, doesn't matter.

IMGP6515.jpg

IMGP6507.jpg

IMGP6512.jpg

Wow! Photographic conditions definitely come into play here as the colors are markedly different from top to bottom, but I'd say the bottom-most one seems a more consistent rendition of the screen versions. Very nice results! I'm not seeing any splotchiness at all. :thumbsup

Is your pattern going to be a do-it-yourself version or have you gotten something else from the rpf to work with? How about the bandoliers and blaster, etc.?

Nice work!
Thank you, James, I really appreciate that.
I was sorta' bummed last night the way it turned out, I'm glad I was able to salvage it.

The pattern....this is what I've found so far....

jawa_pattern.gif

....but if you have other suggestions, that would be great.

I've got the supplies for the robe and the mask, I've done some preliminary eBay searches for the bandoleers and holsters but nothing concrete as of yet.

Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also thinking I might go with the ROTJ blaster as well.

You bet. :cool Nothing like snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. :lol

The pattern you have there from TK409 seems as good as any, and, in fact, I have his Tusken Raider inner and outer robe waiting for a lifesize display to add to my Godzilla mask and a respirator I acquired from a chap in Peru some years ago!

As for the bandolier(s)... There were a variety of them on the various Jawas. The Enfield five pouch bandolier seems to be a favorite as well as the Mauser three pouch. Both can be found on ebay in original and reproduction varieties for nominal charges. The rarer Enfield rifle with grenade launcher seems to be much, much harder to find nowadays, but folks seem to make convincing versions with resin that do the trick! :) The ROTJ version is one that hasn't been done a lot and I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

Thank you, James, I really appreciate that.
I was sorta' bummed last night the way it turned out, I'm glad I was able to salvage it.

The pattern....this is what I've found so far....

jawa_pattern.gif

....but if you have other suggestions, that would be great.

I've got the supplies for the robe and the mask, I've done some preliminary eBay searches for the bandoleers and holsters but nothing concrete as of yet.

Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also thinking I might go with the ROTJ blaster as well.

Just a quick off topic post and then I'm back to watching the Jawa develop with rapt attention.

Thank you sooooo much for all the dying advice posted, as I'm just starting to move into my own costuming/dying. Thanks to all the great advice here, I was able to take a solid black TruSpec flightsuit and turn it into a great GB2 purple/navy suit, and was even able to match add on fabic perfectly!

Keep up the great work!!!!!

Any of them on location in Tunisia, really; the Tusken Raiders, the Jawas, C-3PO, the Sandtroopers... They all must've baked, atleast during the day. Nights I hear can be pretty cold in any desert but I don't think they had the luxury of nighttime filming.

Reminds me of something Kenny Baker (R2D2) once said to me about the person who'd been in front of me the first time I met him;

"You know, people always ask me 'was it hot inside the robot?' Of course it was hot, we were in the middle of the ****ing desert!"

:lol

Just a quick off topic post and then I'm back to watching the Jawa develop with rapt attention.

Thank you sooooo much for all the dying advice posted, as I'm just starting to move into my own costuming/dying. Thanks to all the great advice here, I was able to take a solid black TruSpec flightsuit and turn it into a great GB2 purple/navy suit, and was even able to match add on fabic perfectly!

Keep up the great work!!!!!

Glad it was helpful. :cool

Reminds me of something Kenny Baker (R2D2) once said to me about the person who'd been in front of me the first time I met him;

"You know, people always ask me 'was it hot inside the robot?' Of course it was hot, we were in the middle of the ****ing desert!"

:lol

:lol:thumbsup

jme3
The ROTJ version is one that hasn't been done a lot and I'd be interested to see what you come up with.
Yea, so will I.... :confused :lol

Hotshot
Thank you sooooo much for all the dying advice posted, as I'm just starting to move into my own costuming/dying. Thanks to all the great advice here,
I'll second that emotion.
I really appreciate the help and advice from everyone as well! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back