Dredd (Post-release)

Great film, have been hooked since watching it. Wish it did better at the box office as this style of Dredd for me was was perfect and would love to see more films... :(

Watched it last night...had a few small quibbles but generally I really liked it. Urban's mouth...lol. Obviously a vast improvement on the Stallone abomination.

Can't help noticing that despite plenty of glowing reviews, and good sales hopefully,many reviewers on Amazon compare it to the "original" Judge Dredd movie.
For grud's sake it's like comparing " The Dark Knight rises" to the "original" 1966 Adam West Batman movie.

" Turgid, overlong snooze fest, Heath ledger nowhere near as fun as Cesar Romero. One star...."

If only it had someone with half a brain in the marketing department.

It's kind of odd to think ANYTHING coming out of hollywood is original. Adaptations have been the hollywood template since day 1.

Hey guys,

In case you didn't know, Dredd has not only topped the DVD & Blu-Ray charts on Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com and iTunes but has official confirmation here: Dredd Rocks!

And did you guys know that Robocop started out as a Dredd project? Things tailed off and it was morphed into Robocop (surely you've seen Rob Bottin's life size casts of Robo with Dredd's head?) hence Robo's similarities to Dredd.

In fact, it was their pinching of Dredd's "your move, creep!" that led to the return favour in Dredd when he shouts "you have twenty seconds to comply".

In fact, it was their pinching of Dredd's "your move, creep!" that led to the return favour in Dredd when he shouts "you have twenty seconds to comply".
Now there's something I didn't know. I recognized the line when Dredd said it, but I didn't realize the reason.

Hey guys,

In case you didn't know, Dredd has not only topped the DVD & Blu-Ray charts on Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com and iTunes but has official confirmation here: Dredd Rocks!

And did you guys know that Robocop started out as a Dredd project? Things tailed off and it was morphed into Robocop (surely you've seen Rob Bottin's life size casts of Robo with Dredd's head?) hence Robo's similarities to Dredd.

According to the making of Robocop and making of Dredd(95); 2000ad couldn't reach an agreement with the studio over the rights so the Dredd movie was scrapped (turned into Robocop) and later revived.

They also used the Dredd line: Come quietly or there will be trouble.

So I don't know if this is good news or bad news. Wired's Geek Dad has an article both praising Dredd's recent success in the home market and is also scared of the fact many items will be auctioned off which he interprets as no chance of a sequel.

What's everyone's thoughts?

It's interesting that Judge Lex was mentioned earlier. The first time I saw the film I thought the same thing. "This guy would have been a perfect Dredd!"

Then I realized as I watched it at home, it's because I know what Karl Urban looks like. Everybody knows what he looks like. Nobody knows what the guy who played Judge Lex looks like, and you're not supposed to know Dredd's face.

From what I've read, the props they are auctioning off are only a fraction of those that were used for the movie. They built 4 Lawmasters and are auctioning off only 2. There are no weapons being auctioned off and out of two dozen helmets + uniforms used in the film they are offering only a few. Besides, if a sequel is ever greenlit the production company still has all the original reference material used to create the costumes and vehicles.

Then I realized as I watched it at home, it's because I know what Karl Urban looks like. Everybody knows what he looks like. Nobody knows what the guy who played Judge Lex looks like, and you're not supposed to know Dredd's face.

If we've never seen Dredd's face in the actual comic, and Karl's Dredd is supposed to be that Dredd, who is to say what his face looks like underneath that helmet?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back