DR. Who - Atom Accelerator, the three-in-one prop!

Accck, I'm so jealous of you're skill and equipment, you make it looks so easy to make such a complicated doodad. Really looks awesome, just needs the right paint to match.

The caps in the original prop have a very anodized aluminium look to my eye. Any idea how to achieve that effect in painted resin?

Last edited:
The caps in the original prop have a very anodized aluminium look to my eye. Any idea how to achieve that effect in painted resin?

There are Auto paints for that, just spray with the silver primer and then overcoat with a transparent blue.

Also available in gold, red, green and other colours.

:thumbsupEdward:thumbsup

Last edited:
The upgrade is complete, new tips are in place, Still not happy with the center colour... it needs a bit more yellow.

Now to build a base/display for it.

:thumbsupEdward:thumbsup

Managed to get out this weekend and pick up a few things...

Lego sheet and lego blocks,
Modeling clay,
Bag of marbles,
Ping pong ball.....

what-s-your-workbench-img_0569.jpg-154408d1365366661

Along with the snooker ball with holes in it that i made,

Just wondering what I should do with them?......

Last edited:
I read once about using lego in making two part molds of solid objects, so I hought I'd give it a try.

I used the lego blocks to make a box to hold the material. (its so fraking hard to find boxes of just lego blocks, everything is now sets SW, TNG, etc.)
attachment.php

Then used the modeling clay to fill in around half of the master object.

attachment.php

Mixed up a batch of liquid rubber and filled the exposed section of the mold.... Waiting overnight for it to setup fully.
( it reminds me of a vat of living flesh from Doctor Who....;)

attachment.php

Will see if it's worked tomorrow. :unsure

Edward

The idea of using legos to make the mold box is very clever. I make mine out of foam board, but I bet the legos are easier.

I 've been following this on this forum and on TARDIS builders. Great project!!!!

So I dismantled one side of the lego so I could get the mold out.

Then I removed the modeling clay, coated the rubber in floor wax and put it back in the lego square.

attachment.php

Sorry, I was so excited I forgot to take pictures of the clay removal.

Note: the floor wax makes it possible to get the two parts of the mold apart later.

Then mixed up another batch of the rubber and filled the top part of the mold.

attachment.php

Back to waiting for it to set up........

After waiting three and a half hours I took the lego box apart and freed up the rubber cube of mystery....

attachment.php

I carefully pulled it apart and was glad I put the floor wax on. There were a few bits around the edge that had sealed together with the other half of the mold.

attachment.php

I then pulled the ball out of the other side of the mold.....

attachment.php

Not too bad for my first ever two part mold.

Now to work out the best way to fill it.......

Today I mixed up a batch of Smoothcast 300, poured some in each half of the mold and spread it around, then poured a little more into the bottom half and stuck the mold together.

After a while of slowly rotating the mold like a human rotocast machine I opened the mold to find this!

attachment.php

Not bad for the first time. A little of the resin got onto the mold which caused a gap between the two parts so there is a little extra to trim off of the new piece.

After a quick scrap, file and sand I happy with the turnout.

I'm going to get a slower setting resin so I have time to "paint" a coat into the mold to get rid of any air bubbles.

attachment.php

Now to think of a way to get a lot of the pins made at a good price.

I'm thinking people would prefer metal over resin pins. That do you think?

Edward

This is a great build project, just weird doodaddy enough and you get to show off impressive machining skills. ;)
I might suggest you check out some bronzing powders available for coating the interior of the mold before your resin pour - or using a color casting resin instead of opaque white and adding a bronze pigment when mixing, both would give you a nice impregnated color that won't chip and will look sharper than a painted surface.
Great work so far.

Found it. It's an early, mass market, Chris Bathgate ThinkGeek doesn't carry them any longer, and they aren't in his portfolio. But it's a lead. Maybe second hand resale?

I know this is late coming, and I'm sorry to disappoint, but this was never a Chris Bathgate sculpture. I e-mailed him about it and he knew exactly what sculpture I was referring to. (Since all of his sculptures appear to have names, I figured that if I could find out the "real" name of the Atom Accelerator/Groin Exploder, then it might make tracking one down easier.) Anyway, here's the relevant part of the reply Chris Bathgate sent me:

"Thank you for writing. I am sorry to say that the object you are referring to is actually not one of mine. Strangely, this is not the first time this particular prop has been incorrectly attributed to me.
The last time it happened, I believe it was someone claiming it was mine on a Doctor Who forum (again incorrectly stating that my works are massed produced).
Thank you for your compliments on my work though. Each of my sculptures is in fact a one of a kind solid machined, art object. Currently, I only show my work in Museums and other fine art settings and do not make movie props. So if you ever are in a position to straighten out the facts on a forum somewhere, please feel free to do so.
Again, I appreciate the letter, even if a misunderstanding brought you to my work, I hope you can appreciate it for what it is, instead of what it is not."

So, it looks like we're all right back to Square One with trying to track this down. (If only ThinkGeek was still selling their version. Maybe if they received lots of requests for it they'd make it available again?)

Dino.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back