Dr. Horrible lab coat?

I think you might be onto something:

ariel-simon_coat.jpg

That looks like the same coat to me. Other doctors in the episode seem to wear that coat, too. So just like the sonic rifle Death Ray, this was salvaged from Firefly. Really cool to know Joss has Firefly props lying around.

I think you might be onto something:

That looks like the same coat to me. Other doctors in the episode seem to wear that coat, too. So just like the sonic rifle Death Ray, this was salvaged from Firefly. Really cool to know Joss has Firefly props lying around.

You beat me to posting a pic, but my findings were the same! :D That's the only part in the series where I can remember ANY lab coats being worn... I bet they left one "as is" white and dyed one red (instead of making a red one from scratch for a 1 minute scene).

So, at least it's nice to know that we have other reference material to go on now! :)

Interesting to note that Simon (Sean Maher) is 5'10", while Neil Patrick Harris is 6'0", according to IMDB. It is plausible (whether realistic or not) that he could be wearing Simon's actual lab coat from "Ariel", since they are of such a similar size. :)

Yeah, there's no telling what Joss has laying around, or has access to... :lol

I am curious about that logo. It looks to be a wings/staff/snakes in black, but the exact number of loops etc. is hard to discern from the small images.

There have been updates on the goggles front:

http://www.mortonsafety.com/index.aspx?Command=GroupInfo&GroupID=10875

And that same site has similar (if expensive) boots:

http://www.mortonsafety.com/index.aspx?Command=GroupInfo&GroupID=10729

For gloves, the following have been suggested:

http://store.weldersource.com/750.html

(Please note, I have not ordered from any of these places and do not necessarily endorse these vendors. These links are provided solely for informational purposes, and have been gathered from various sources on the drhorrible.net fan pages)

On the coat front, I've made an attempt...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/Lingarn/LN_Horrible1.jpg

Starting from Simplicity 5443, I cut the right front panel short about where it started to curve into the neckline. If you look carefully at the video, there is a several-inch extra flap between the front and back on the right side that is visible when Dr. H goes flying; this seems to be consistent with a several-inch right panel that is hidden most of the time by the left panel.

I doubled the left front panel, added material to the shoulder region for the button-hole area. If I try for a closer version, I will add material to the entire side that buttons; the firefly shots show that there is a stitched strip running down the length of that side from the shoulder to at least the waist.

I sort of made-up the collar... It was late... Making it smaller (that is, smaller opening) would be better. I also altered the front pocket and back half-belt designs to be more in line with the source material.

Material is some sort of white cotton twill that was on sale. Goggles are not the ones posted above, but just something I put together from convenient parts. Safety goggles, paint, plastic from a chinese take-out box, and some mountain dew cans.

Overall conclusion is that if I can come sort of close, then an experienced tailor/seamstress should have no problem. There isn't anything really that hard in this costume, though my optimism hides my terrible craftsmanship.

I think those are wrong. There are many white welding gauntlets out there that look closer and can be had for less.
The problem is finding ones without any logo or other markings on the outside.

The actual gloves are Tillman 750 gloves. You can faintly see the logo and number when Dr. Horrible is talking to Moist after receiving the phone call from Bad Horse about needing to kill someone to even have a chance to get into the ELE. I guess the just did something to cover up the logo as best as they could.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back