Donnie Darko Frank the Bunny - Original Mold

As I said early "I believe that this is a misunderstanding, and he just lost my contacts.". Hooray!

Thanks Vladimir, just got your PM with your address. FINALLY we can get Frank BACK to you...

IMG_0578.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the Oz Frank mask up for sale on Ebay by Profiles in History? Looks a bit beat up, but so cool it's still alive and well! I'll be waiting indefinitely to see if a plated Frank mask ever rears it's head.

"1752. James Duval “Frank The Bunny” hero mask from Donnie Darko. (Pandora Films, 2001) The 22 x 9 in. mask is cast of rigid polyurethane foam with a reverse life cast of the actor’s face inside, hood not present. This is one of two Bunny masks worn by James Duval in his role as “Frank” in the cult film, Donnie Darko. According to Pandora Films, only two of the full, fur-hooded masks were produced for and employed in the film. Virtually no props or wardrobe from this small budget film have come to the marketplace, so this represents a unique opportunity to acquire the signature prop from this cult classic. Comes with a COA from Pandora Films.
$12,000 - $15,000"

Was Eveningarwen ever able to complete a suit? Did the details for one ever get worked out? I'm looking to finally get the rest of the costume made. I'm the owner of #7.

Hello guys. I know the conversation is old but I have to update it with my story.
In 2014, I moved to study / work in America, for me I realized a dream to live in the US, to know the culture and to follow closely the American PROP world.
About mid-2016 I learned about this conversation, always fascinated by the movie Donnie Darko, I could not believe in my eyes that somebody in the forum had found an original mold of Frank's mask.
Reading all pages with enthusiasm, I could see that Andrew, the boy who found the mold, made a limited edition of 20 copies of the mask, I immediately thought, is my chance to achieve a dream .... but Instead I came too late the masks had already been sold to lucky buyers.
I contacted Andrew privately, wondering if he still had masks or if he still produced them on demand. He almost immediately answered me saying that the masks were out of production and that he had nothing but one! A prototype!
I asked him, what do you talk about? A prototype?
And he told me, yes, a prototype, for the precision, the last exit from the mold before making the series of 20 official masks.
So I said, can you send me some pictures of the mask?
Andrew sent me the pictures and I did not believe in my eyes, it was beautiful!
I immediately confirmed that I would have taken the mask and exchanged all the contact details of the case.
I thought I would have the mask as soon as possible, but I was wrong.
It was almost a year before he could actually buy the mask.
With Andrew we often felt, and this was reassuring me because I knew he would not sell it to anyone else.
At the end of July 2017 I managed to take the mask to Andrew, a few days before returning to my country, in Italy.

I wanted to officially thank Andrew, great person, great friend, and great man of words and patience.
Thank you Andrew for having borne me :) and for making my dream come true.

I tell the community that a Frank is officially in Italy, the only one in Italy, and I believe in southern Europe.
IMG_20170920_183250.jpg IMG_20170920_183238.jpg IMG_20170920_183406.jpg

Andrew Thank you again for everything!
And I managed to build the stand, following your photos!
Thanks man!

Attachments

• IMG_20170920_200329.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20170920_200329.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 93
Ugh. Figures I just now see this, 5 years after it started...perils of joining the site more recently. I have always wanted a Frank mask display but never found one that made me say YES!!!

Great score and better luck than I to all those that got to receive one. Congrats. DD is 1 of only 5 movie posters I have in my theater room and will always be in my top 10 movie list.

Update, I still haven't had a suit made but I enjoy my mask every day. It has such a deeper meaning to me, so much more than the movie, but only Art would understand as he is the only one I relayed my story too. I have since had 2 kids which have led to the financial drain that has not made the suit possible yet, but I still plan on getting it made so I can participate in a local haunted house charity that takes place each October here in Oregon. Looks like maybe next year, I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you, Art Andrews, for this amazing gift and giving me something that gives me a connection to my life and my loss. I am so glad I found this thread in time for all this to happen it was like serendipity. Very grateful.

P.S. The signatures are still very strong and visible but the black ink on the 7 (of 20) is very faint and will probably be completely gone in the next couple of years.

I have purchased quite a few iconic screen-used props (from other films) since we did that project, but this still remains one of my very favorite pieces and I am glad it is still special for you!

Update, I still haven't had a suit made but I enjoy my mask every day. It has such a deeper meaning to me, so much more than the movie, but only Art would understand as he is the only one I relayed my story too. I have since had 2 kids which have led to the financial drain that has not made the suit possible yet, but I still plan on getting it made so I can participate in a local haunted house charity that takes place each October here in Oregon. Looks like maybe next year, I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you, Art Andrews, for this amazing gift and giving me something that gives me a connection to my life and my loss. I am so glad I found this thread in time for all this to happen it was like serendipity. Very grateful.

P.S. The signatures are still very strong and visible but the black ink on the 7 (of 20) is very faint and will probably be completely gone in the next couple of years.

Hard to believe this was 8 years ago! Taking down some content from my old website and included was my original description for the replica masks and their source.

Originally Published Dec 26, 2012, at artandrews.com:

Donnie Darko – Frank the Rabbit Mask

Frank Final Prototype

Summary: This is the only known replica of Frank the Rabbit (or Frank the Bunny)’s mask with direct lineage to the original mold to be made publicly available. It has been painstakingly researched and replicated to match the original mask as closely as possible (with a few minor tells to ensure it is not passed off as a screen used mask).

Source: This mask was cast directly from what is claimed to be an original mold, used in the film, Donnie Darko. Based on comparisons to screen-used masks from the film, ALL of the sculpting details, right down to numerous air bubbles match up precisely. This is not a copy of a copy or a copy of a cleaned-up master, but a direct copy, straight from the mold.

Materials and construction – mask: This mask was cast in a dense urethane rubber, like the originals. The urethane rubber for this mask was tinted grey, unlike the originals, to differentiate it from the known screen-used masks. This is not visible on the exterior of the mask. The silver primary color of the mask is fused into the surface of the mask as well as a white base coat for the eyes and teeth and a black base coat for the inner mouth. The eyes and teeth have had an additional paint application as well as a gloss coat to replicate the look of the screen used mask. The inner mouth and inner ears have also had an additional coat of paint applied. The eye slots and mouth slot of the mask have been removed.

Materials and construction – hood: The hood is made of grey/black/white faux fur with a black base. Its pattern has been created to replicate that of the original mask, including a split up the back of the neck and a wide skirt which tucks under the costume in the movie. The fur has been lightly distressed.

Display: While not pictured, this replica includes an acrylic stand with a foam head and a metal dual-signature plaque that has been signed by the actor who played Frank; James Duval as well as the original sculptor of the Frank Mask; Rob Burman.

Usability: This is a wearable mask. Although it is meant to be a collectible display item, it is fully functional, incredibly durable and fully capable of enduring the wear and tear of costuming.

Final Notes: These masks have been handcrafted, just as the originals. This means the seam lines vary slightly from casting to casting, as well as minor air bubbles These same imperfections and small variations are seen between the original masks. There are also some major air bubbles in the bottom of the teeth as well as voids in the mold which create “pimples” or positives in the mouth area. These are not imperfections unique to each casting but are details present in the mold and in all of the original masks which were maintained in these replicas for the sake of accuracy.

frank-final-prototype-01.jpg

frank-final-prototype-02.jpg

frank-final-prototype-03.jpg

frank-final-prototype-04.jpg

frank-final-prototype-05.jpg

frank-final-prototype-06.jpg

frank-final-prototype-07.jpg

frank-final-prototype-08.jpg

This is so awesome. I have one but not from the original molds. Mine was a completely new sculpt. I would love one of these though.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back