Don post bucket, ideas, concerns, comments?

mac3kuby

So I got this Don Post Tie helmet off ebay. It is my first bucket (other than the At-St one I am building). I got it for around $125. I plan to use it as a base for a At-At driver build, so it will be painted white and have all the extras that At-At requires. I am not a builder who goes for 100% movie accuracy, but rather I strive for 501st approval and if I get it great, if not I figure it looks good enough for MY approval. After all, the fun is in the building and then showing off to friends.

Keep in mind I have some time as I will not start this until probably next spring. Gotta finish the At-St and enjoy it for the new movie first. In the last pics, I am slightly under 6ft, around 200 lbs for reference.

Thoughts about the Don Post? Comments? Suggestions on how to change to white? Anything is welcome at this stage.
20150910_182222.jpg20150910_182133.jpg20150910_182154.jpg20150910_180836.jpg20150910_180948.jpg20150910_182235.jpg

The don post standard TIE is really small and looks pretty undersized on you in your pics. The don post classic action is good though and can be 501st clearable - my 501st TIE has the DP CA helmet.

Well, I guess I could always send a better pic to the guy who approves here in FL and ask him before I start painting it and putting on all the Greeblies.

Coming from a 501st member, you won't get judged by the size of the helmet, but rather by the fit and finish of the entire costume. If the helmet looks the part, passes muster and looks good with the rest of your suit I don't suspect it'll be an issue. I've seen Don Post Royal Guard helmets pass and I can't even put that thing on.....

Thanks. I know it isn't movie accurate, but I picked it up cheap. I figure they 501st can't discriminate on size. I did email my local rep for 501st and he should let me know soon. Either way I will probably work on it. I may just make/buy two sets of each greeblie. This way I can display this one and eventually buy a second bucket and will have all the parts for it already.

Also, no room in this one for a fan. Since I am in CF and plan to go to SW weekends eventually and march, I would like a fan and some ventilation, eventually. Probably more room for that in a bigger bucket. For now though, I will work on this one.

Thanks for the size comparison. I figured I had the smaller one.

Any comments on painting this to grey? Ideas?

Last edited:
I can tell you for sure it won't clear the 501st CRL. The GMl will evaluate the overall appearance of the costume in proportion to the wearer. If you were very small and slight this helmet could be modified but based on your build it won't pass. You should get in the jolly Roger forum if legion approval is your goal. The fine troopers there will be of great help to you.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back