Doctor Who - New 8th Doctor Costume/Sonic

WarMachine

Sr Member
I wasn't sure where to post this but it's more costume than prop related.

This was posted at GallifreyNewsBase. Looks like they've given the 8th Doctor a new look and sonic. The sonic is made by Weta (so hopefully they'll sell official 1:1 scale versions). It seems like this is all for the Big Finish covers and new photos but it'd be great if it was for a TV appearance.

Here's what the GNB article says:

Paul McGann is currently in New Zealand, a guest at the Armageddon Pop Culture Expo (Auckland, New Zealand) this weekend. On Saturday he appeared on a panel and revealed what is to be the 'new' costume for the Eighth Doctor.

The costume consists of a double-breasted black Naval jacket, with gold buttons. Part of of the ensemble is a courier pouch bag. However, the shirt and trousers were actually McGann's own and not part of the costume.

Also revealed is a new sonic screwdriver, courtesy of Weta Workshop, the wizards behind the effects on The Lord of the Rings. The screwdriver is similar to the one used by the current Doctor, Matt Smith, but has a wooden handle.

The revision comes some fourteen years since the original Eighth Doctor image was established for the 1996 TV Movie; this is now felt to be a little out of date and the new costume - still a work in progress - is said to be used for future promotional purposes.

No other information in known at present, but it is believed to have the blessing of the BBC.

Images here:

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/710/blues.jpg
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9017/mcgannarmageddonexpojon.jpg
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9017/mcgannarmageddonexpojon.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9017/mcgannarmageddonexpojon.jpg

It'll probably just be for new promotional photos of the 8th Doctor (as I don't think many were taken in his old costume) for the Big Finish audiobooks. Maybe a new action figure with this outfit. It just says promotional purposes but a TV appearance would be fantastic. Hopefully that's what it's really for. It seems to bridge the gap between #8's movie outfit and #9's outfit.

It'd be great to finally see the 8-9 regeneration, that's for sure.
That it would, I've always been interested in the 8th Doctor. They wouldn't give him a new costume and sonic just for a couple of photos on the audiobooks would they? I hope this means that he'll get some more screen time in the near future.

I wonder if they're planning a mini series expanding on the Eight doctor as a character? I'd like to see that. Take him from the movie to the Ninth doctor.

The 96 SS appears to be nothing more than a redressed version of the old old one. There cant really be any progression to one that lights up.

I like the new sonic actually...

I dont like this design of sonic. I would have prefered to see a connector between the classic sonic to the 9th doctors, instead of it looking like the 11th...that doesnt make a lot of sense.

that said, I actually really liked the 8th Doctor. I hope they give him the long hair again though....and I wonder if they will feature him in "Death of the Doctor" on the Sarah Jane Chronicles. I know that Matt Smith is on it, and apparentally so are 4 other doctors.....We shall see, I suppose.

OM, that is pretty. And is exactly what I was talking about when I said i wanted to see a connector between the class and the 9th. Very cool.

The more I think about it the more I don't want to see 8 regenerate into 9. That way 8 can stay eternal in my mind. Like was said earlier - thanks to the BF audios he really has become my favorite Doctor too.

Yeah I'm not a fan of that design XD It looks like a fan build rather than a pro build. I can see and understand where they're coming from design-wise but it just is atrocious! I MUCH prefer the Teletran design. More elegant and a much better looking bridge to the 9th/10th Doctors style.

Yeah, good luck getting Eccleston to come back in any capacity...

...though Eccleston is my favourite doctor, and it would be so much awesomeness for him to come back. The jacket and the blue light in the sonic are almost identical to the 9th Doctor- sure his coat was thicker and more worn, but they are both double breasted navy style jackets...

Perhaps its for a multiple Doctor episode? With the 60th (I think) anniversary of Dr Who coming up in the next couple of years, a multiple doctor episode should be in the offing I hope.

Actually- lets start a petition, right here, right now- for if the opportunity arises of a multiple doctor episode, that Eccleston comes back! :D

-L

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back