Doctor Who - Matt Smith shirt christmas 2010?

so much detail on that shirt. the button stand is wider than a usual button stand and it appears from the pictures that it might have a contrasting colored back to it. we also already know that the cuff has a 90º angle on it. the herringbone in the fabric is sometimes referred to as broadcloth.

i could have sworn i saw a shirt exactly like this when i began searching for it months ago, but i shrugged it off because the pattern back then looked to simply be maroon and not blue and brown as it is now so obvious. i also passed up on a tweed jacket as well because i wasn't sure on the colors. sigh.

Broadcloth can mean a whole lot of different things. I've seen loads of them that weren't herringbone.

And the name for that type of cuff is mitered.

Broadcloth can mean a whole lot of different things. I've seen loads of them that weren't herringbone.

And the name for that type of cuff is mitered.

yes thanks for clarifying. i always think of broadcloth having to do with the weight of the fabric. was just thinking that term might help in google searches.

also thanks for pointing out the "mitered" term especially since i said 90º when i should have said 45º.

Broadcloth refers to a densely woven cloth. Traditionally it was wool, now more common in cotton. Used a lot in quilting these days. It does refer to the weave. Being that its a tight standard weave. So a herringbone weave would technically disqualify something from being broadcloth as herringbone (coincidentally also traditionally a wool weave) is a specific weave unto itself. The fabric you're looking at on the shirt is simply a shirting or quilting weight cotton herringbone.

So yeah. Easier pattern to print. Harder fabric to get printed.

In the end it all comes down to personal taste as far as which shirt pattern you choose to use. Currently there are options a plenty for the PS style pattern, and as Risu stated before, an accurate PS style pattern will soon be available to everyone through Spoonflower or some other fabric printing company. Personally I prefer the squiggly pattern over the checkerboard, but that's just me.

Good luck finding a herringbone fabric in that width to get printed onto! I've been searching for a herringbone fabric as narrow as that for MONTHS and have so far come up empty handed. (Except for 10,000+ yard quantities)

I'll be watching this research closely though...for my own nefarious...errrr, I mean costuming purposes.

-Nick

You need to get yourself into the LA garment district sometime. I can't guarantee anything, but odds are you can find a pretty narrow herringbone.

i've already got the red PS shirt...i'm slowly working my way through all of the eleventh doctor's costume variations. i have everything part of a blue version except the shirt which will hopefully come along soon via Spoonflower.

i really like this check shirt though. if i didn't have xmas present to buy i would be all over putting together this holiday variation ASAP.

Pretty sure I found the blue/brown checked shirt that you guys are referring to at Macy's. The brown was slightly lighter and there was no herringbone texture, but it was really close.

Must not spend any more cash on 11th Doctor clothes... Must not spend any more cash on 11th Doctor clothes...

That Club Room shirt is cool. Just checked it out online, it'd definitely be a great 'close enough' shirt. The cuffs would be a fairly easy fix too.

That's actually not the one I saw, it looks better. The other one was a cream color with a larger pattern.

$35 in the sale!

But if I buy that, then I have to buy the jacket, bigger bowtie, new jeans... it's a slippery slope that ends in me divorced and living in a tent made of tweed jackets.

$35 in the sale!

But if I buy that, then I have to buy the jacket, bigger bowtie, new jeans... it's a slippery slope that ends in me divorced and living in a tent made of tweed jackets.

But, like you said. It's $35. How could you possibly pass that up? Besides, tweed jacket tents are AWESOME. I know from experience. Granted, I made the tent in the comfort and warmth of my bedroom, but it was still AWESOME.

I picked the Macy's shirt up yesterday. Despite what the website and the signs in the shop said, it was only $26.77 plus tax. Was almost tempted to buy 2.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back