Doctor Who Matt Smith Purple Frock Coat fabric options

I could be wrong, but I remember seeing a picture of Smith saluting when they were filming him hanging off the tardis (before he went up) and you could see a sort of cut off in the lining under his arm. I thought it might be for a pocket but the whole inside is sort of exposed and the lining doesn't show up again. I'll try and find it, just a mo
Edit:
Here we go
http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/ay_107538655.jpg
Zoom in on his left side, and you can see the purple lining just stops at his waist basically

Last edited:
Just looks like the self-wool facing stops at the waist and the normal lining (satin, perhaps) continues on to the bottom. Someone really needs to show the Doctor how to salute... that looks ridiculous.

It's just a frock coat. On a modern coat, the lapel facing fabric would run all the way to the bottom, but on a frock coat it stops at the waist seam and the lining goes to the bottom. It makes it lighter at the bottom, less rigid.

The only weird thing about this coat is the lack of buttons. Everything else is completely run of the mill for that style. Well, and the inside pockets aren't set into the seam, but appear to be giant Troughton-esque patch pockets.

Yeah. You're seeing the facing, not a naked interior.

Everything else is completely run of the mill for that style. Well, and the inside pockets aren't set into the seam, but appear to be giant Troughton-esque patch pockets.

Do you have any reference images that show this? I'd like to see it before I start cutting Modernboy's frock.

I think it was in a promo video that came out around Bells. He's messing with the sonic and you can see it when he raises his arm and then puts away the sonic.

This was sourced from our fabric buyer in Thailand... from Hong Kong, I believe. If you want, we could sell just the fabric for around $40-60 a yard depending on how many yards you want.

Sounds like this is going to be awesome :)

I'm really tempted to order one for my wedding in November. I suppose it's too early in the process for you to have any pics?

No worries, my wedding is 1st nov so I guess I would still have enough time for a look at the pics before ordering early September in time for nov 1st. Have you ever had any orders run over the 6 week mark?

In fact, could i be super cheeky and ask if you could post a hi def pic of your fabric? I'm nearly ready to commit to the order but can't quite gauge how the fabric looks in detail. No probs if not bud.

Cheers Indy :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back