Doctor Who Adipose Costume - Need help

blf

I just decided to go to dragonCon and am in need of Costumes ofr a 2 and 5 year old girls. The 12 yo wants to go as Adipose. Anone have any ideas of how to "support" this or construct it? I thought about trying to sew but have never done it. Also, would like to "inflate" it with a fan, but not sure where I can get one.

Any help is very much appreciated!!!

Inflate it with a fan? Do you mean the costume would be synthetic and the bulk would be air? If you're looking for a way to inflate it, like an airmatress for example, there are plug in air mattress inflators that you could probably find at most camping stores etc. I know we have them here in Australia at least.

What are you thinking of making the costume out of? Anything that will hold air in is unlikely to breathe very well so your young lady might get very hot after a whole day at a con.

I suppose in terms of wanting to support the shape of the adipose, the simplest way would be to make the costume and stuff it to shape rather than use air. One puncture with air and the costume would turn into a melted adipose :p Or you could always use light weight 'chicken wire' or similar to shape the material I guess.

I was thinking that her head would come out the top. Being all inside the costume would be hot. If I use something to stuff it, I think that would make it even hotter, that's why I was considering air. A small battery operated fan should do the trick. I'd make ag athering at the top (maybe an elastic) where her head comes out - which may look funny, but sometime comfort has to win out.

So, when you say you want to use air, do you mean that the suit would be inflated like a balloon? I'm just thinking that if this is the case then a fan that was able to be inserted into the outfit itself to blow air and be battery operated would probably also be open at the back and therefore not be airtight and would ruin the inflation? Maybe I'm missing something obvious lol.

Google " inflatable Costumes" They have some cheap ones. You can take the fan and battery pack from one of them. You can also see what material they use. Since these costumes stay inflated by the fan constantly running, shouldn't be too warm.

I gave up on the inflatable idea and went with a foam build.

Can anyone give me advice on how to make the foam build I have in the first pic look more like the shape of the second pic?

It's too "dome like"

The adipose were similar in shape to a potato head, right?
I made our suits to have no internal support structure needed, so this might be good for a young person.

I made 6 or 8 of the templates shown and glued them together from point to point. I don't have the actual file for the template here at work, but here are some progress pictures and a mini-foam potato head I made to make sure it was going to work.

The adipose were similar in shape to a potato head, right?
I made our suits to have no internal support structure needed, so this might be good for a young person.

I made 6 or 8 of the templates shown and glued them together from point to point. I don't have the actual file for the template here at work, but here are some progress pictures and a mini-foam potato head I made to make sure it was going to work.
Those are so awesome. I made a miniature and got the shape I wanted, Just couldn't upsize it.

Do you think if I cut down some of the top of the base, I could glue the top to it, making a single piece?
Not sure why it rotates the pic.

Maybe a few pvc tubes from the plumber´s section, hoola hoop loops (are they still available anyway?) and chicken wire may do the trick. You might want to look for threads about building the Ghostbusters Stay Puft Marshmallow man, similar problems to solve.

Maybe a few pvc tubes from the plumber´s section, hoola hoop loops (are they still available anyway?) and chicken wire may do the trick. You might want to look for threads about building the Ghostbusters Stay Puft Marshmallow man, similar problems to solve.

I think the shape will hold up. I need to attach it to my kid somehow-lol

If she will be completely inside the suit, you could glue a toy plastic helmet inside (or a bike helmet).

What about using something like a hula hoop around the waist connected with suspender like straps to hang over the shoulders? Attach the 'hoop' to the inside of the costume circumference and then it will basically hang off of her shoulders. That will work if it's light weight.

Wow, Girl your getting better suggestions then I could offer! I never posted the adipose build here, I should have, but my wife (awesome girl she is) did the majority of the work, so I felt like I would be taking credit for her hard work. I can post some pics, but blf is well on her way. The last pic you sent to my phone looked great, you should post that here. I know it doesn't look perfect, but this is a work in progress and eventually it will have a skin on that hides all the flaws of the body pod. As far as support inside, the hola hoop idea sounds pretty good. Shoulder straps are pretty much what we did, but with some additional stuff to hold it in place. I liked the backpack idea too. Just keep it up and no you haven't been bugging me too much, I've just been too busy to respond. heres some of my wifes addy.

Thanks WonderSquid! I couldn't have done w/o you and your wife's help. She talked you up - I guess I was thinking you made it! I need to go back and worship at her feet :p

I am considering using white pleather and gluing the skin to it and using stuffed arms instead of Foam. I can't find a correct looking foam, they all seem too thick.

Pretty much done. I added the tooth after this pic was taken. I understand the proportions are off. A longer body with shorter legs would be better....but what can I do?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back