District 9 alien hand *****COMPLETE*****SEE FIRST POST

Re: District 9 alien hand *possible spoilers* Updated october 16th molding almost don

Hey. I'm also trying to make an alien arm for my Wikus costume. But instead of making it out of clay then doing it in latex, I am planning on making it out of bed foam. Do you think you have any tips for me on the project? I think what I will do is make it out of bed foam and then cover it with pantyhose, put liquid latex over it and then paint it. I am a little stuck on how to gain control of the long fingers. Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: District 9 alien hand *possible spoilers* Updated october 16th molding almost don

Wow! Its looking amazing! The detail on that arm is flippin awesome!

IronCostumer: You might want to first construct the two "fingers" out of PVC pipe with some really simple hinges and use some tension wires to make then move with it. Volpin(around here somewhere on the rpf) did something similar for his big daddy costume. Big Daddy

3852682476_55325cecd6.jpg

3852682220_d03d4b3134.jpg

If you watch mythbusters also, the same principle is demonstrated in the episode where they make an arrow catching robot; but instead of using PVC they use bicycle chain tacked in certain spots with wires, then covered in a glove.
Good luck.

Oh the prawn er humanity. I went to pull my cast out of the mold and found out it didn't cure completely. Not to sure if it was the humidity or if I waited long enough. In other words latex is a biatch.
4056508135_f0d5d7d822_b.jpg

4056509283_ddda909acc_b.jpg

The method I used was just to slush cast. It seems I didn't let it drain enough and there was an excess of latex in the tips. The forearm part did end up drying. So I ended up saving that part.
4057250850_6d532fbe30_b.jpg

4057249752_4df01a18fe_b.jpg

4057248636_7637a16d6c_b.jpg

I have tried a different method now, making sure to prep the mold with some cornstarch and hand brush the first few layers then do a mache of latex and cotton rags for strength. I did a slush cast after this, making sure to thoroughly drain it afterwords. I plan to do one final coating of latex ontop of that mixed with a thickening agent via hand rotocasting it (if I have enough time). I'm cutting it pretty close, even though I started on this quite some time ago. Wish me luck

Re: District 9 alien hand *****COMPLETE*****Just in time for halloween.

*bump*
will post some in progress stuff in this post later

you can brush the latex into the mold in layers using a heat gun/hair dryer to speed up the cure process. If its sunny and warm out, you can also just do it in the sun. If you have any pigments, you can layer different colors in the latex for a depth effect as opposed to just painting it. Pigment also helps when the paint starts to crack and peel.

Normally you would want to use a foam to make the part but that would involve curing in an oven for some hours. If you get the layers of latex thick enough and use some burlap or power netting for internal strength, your set. If I were making that to wear for long periods of time, id rig a set of tubes from my actual fingertips to the fingertips of the piece as a drain for sweat. Would also be cool to splash people with your salty goodness, giggity.

you can brush the latex into the mold in layers using a heat gun/hair dryer to speed up the cure process. If its sunny and warm out, you can also just do it in the sun. If you have any pigments, you can layer different colors in the latex for a depth effect as opposed to just painting it. Pigment also helps when the paint starts to crack and peel.

Normally you would want to use a foam to make the part but that would involve curing in an oven for some hours. If you get the layers of latex thick enough and use some burlap or power netting for internal strength, your set. If I were making that to wear for long periods of time, id rig a set of tubes from my actual fingertips to the fingertips of the piece as a drain for sweat. Would also be cool to splash people with your salty goodness, giggity.

The second time casting this, I first a few coats of latex brushed in the mold while it still was in pieces. I also layered in some cotton rags for stability, then put the two mold halves together and slush cast it to join it together. I did end up using a blowdryer to speed up the process. I never though of adding pigment right into the latex from the getgo. Good advice. Neither would I have thought of the tubes down the fingers. The problem the second time is that I forgot to coat the inside of the cast with cornstarch when demolding. I learn from my mistakes though. The reason I used artist quality paints is because they are loaded full of colours and don't have any water or fillers like those applebarn little on dollar jobbies.
I did get some photos before I go out tonight.
4062664230_0ace2ba88a.jpg

4062665432_d028e088b3.jpg

4061920623_6a9c0a7616.jpg

And before "Son, get yourself a haircut" I KNOW I KNOW :p

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back