Didn't like Season 1 of Heroes of Cosplay? Open casting for Season 2!

I met Victoria at the Nashville Comic Con and I must admit I was a bit star struck. :).

I've met her lots of times and I've never been star-struck, but I first met her in 2004 before she was famous.

I'm always more struck by how she has no idea who I am, despite how many times I've talked to her. But she is always very nice and gracious.

"What is Heroes of Cosplay Season 2?"
"Fortune and glory, kid! Fortune and glory!"
991130-photo-88.jpg

I've seen someone on the Cosplay.com forums talking about this casting call. basically, their friends want to audition because they want to "correct" the show on what happened last season. -_____-

unfortunately, like every other show on television, the target audience is larger than just us. Everyone on this board would like to see the development of creative ideas evolve from concept to finished piece, showcasing talent, creativity, and fun. It might even motivate people into being creative themselves. But that tarrget audience, of which I speak, requires scripted fake drama, and fake story line. That is what SyFi gives them them. So, it is no wonder that the people of this board feel cheated.

Would I apply for the show? Yes, I would still have fun doing it, just not watching it.

Yet on their own facebook when the show premiered, there were plenty of non-cosplayers talking about how awful it was. They wanted to learn more about how to get into cosplay, how to get started, maybe learn something. From what I understood, a lot of people were hoping it would be like Face-Off (which is what I thought when I first heard about the idea, too) and instead we got a big pile of garbage :(

From what I understood, a lot of people were hoping it would be like Face-Off (which is what I thought when I first heard about the idea, too) and instead we got a big pile of garbage :(

Funny, I thought it was very much like Face-Off: Lots of drama and very little technique.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

I never watched "H.o.C." But have watched the last three seasons of FaceOff. I think there is a fair amount of technique shown. To go in to great detail (especially in the beginning of the series) on the sculpt, mold, casting process would be impossible due to time constraints. Of course I would love to see some of the tricks in greater detail too. That is why you have to research and study. Nothing worth knowing is gained without a price. Whether it's time, money, or failed projects: you have to pay to play.

If the show evolves, I'll probably put time in to it.

You want drama? Watch"Ink Master," talk about a bunch of whiney artists...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

I think Heroes of Cosplay did try to incorporate SOME of it into their little webisodes on how to do things, but I would have liked to have seen a bit more in action. They could have shown more of the behind the scenes stuff and still had a good balance on life and drama and finished product.

So no one from The RPF applied? I'm a little surprised.

I believe half the featured cast from season 1 are members. Jinyo, Victoria, Jesse, Riddle and Holly are ones that I can recall. So I wouldn't be surprised that there are members here that will be on season 2. Not sure if they want to admit to it or if there's some NDA involved in the casting process.

Was in New Orleans for Wizard World this past weekend, and they were filming for Heroes of Cosplay. I was in New Orleans last year for the costume contest, and it was a very informal atmosphere; the cosplayers actually walked through the audience allowing most of the audience to take up-close photos; it even ended with an impromptu parade across several city blocks to a local night club where the winners were announced. It was fun!

This year was sterile; produced; detached and not fun at all. Eric "The Smoke" Moran hurt the contest by making the show absolutely drag with continual interruptions asking the crowd to cheer or get their energy up. This was happening after almost each contestant; and with 30 to 40 contestants, imagine how much longer it took with him trying to juice the crowd after each one. It also was a bit off putting to realize that some of the people brought to the judges for special attention and questions were stars of the show; even though their costumes were good, it made me feel it was rigged.

After the final contestant came out and judges began to deliberate, half of the audience got up and left; and I was among them. Last year, I walked several city blocks to find out who won the contest; this year I didn't care. My interest was killed. I asked someone the next day what happened with the group competition we didn't stay for, and they said that went on until about midnight (me having left at around 9:30pm). They said that after each group performed for about 60 seconds, there would be another 15 minutes of resetting lights; reintroducing the judges; etc - all for the purpose of filming the show. I was also told that they killed the lights in the back of the theater so that it wouldn't be as noticeable that a large number of the audience left.

I and my friends were very disappointed. As spectators who enjoy seeing the costumes, we will not go to the costume contest next year if we hear Heroes of Cosplay is involved. They ruined a fun thing.

I know the Crabcat team and Chloe Dykstra were there, per twitter. It seemed a random con for them to go to all the way from Cali but now it makes sense.

This year was sterile; produced; detached and not fun at all. Eric "The Smoke" Moran hurt the contest by making the show absolutely drag with continual interruptions asking the crowd to cheer or get their energy up. This was happening after almost each contestant; and with 30 to 40 contestants, imagine how much longer it took with him trying to juice the crowd after each one...
I think after the fourth or fifth time I would have started yelling back for him to get off the stage.

I have a bad feeling about what Megacon will be like, but I am assuming (hoping) they do not do any repeat conventions. Ooh! Maybe I can get a "SyFy Sucks!" shirt made and sit near the front.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

Dang, I was hoping this show died a quiet death with nobody noticing.
What a waste of good air time...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back