Dex's Y-Wing Helmet Scratch build

Hi, thanks for the kind words guys!
I've not got around to updating the build in a long time, I started a build diary over on thedentedhelmet initially you see!

I'll get busy and get some more pictures uploaded and text shortly!

Rich

Right, more pics!

B1.jpg
With the white gelcoat done a few hours before it was time to start with gel and matting. Here's the halves with a first coat..

B2.jpg
..and a second coat of resin and matt. I over built this one as I went for a 3rd layer too! Subsequent ones just were 2 layers.

B3.jpg
Once a few days had passed (to be safe) I popped them out of the moulds to see how it went.

B4.jpg
Yep, quite pleased actually! They look quite promising!

B5.jpg
These were always going to be produced in 2 halves due to the awkward returns here and there. With the halves aligned temporarily with tape I started to bond the 2 together with Mastic. Starting at the middle and working forwards and backwards.

B6.jpg
Once the Mastic had cured (and before the final tissue coat of fibreglass) it was time to roughly cut the opening. Taking my time with a drill and small bit before cutting through the holes.

B7.jpg
With the centre section gone the opening was trimmed more evenly to tidy things up.

B8.jpg
Here is a picture for comparison of size of Helmet Number 2 in the capable hands of a friend in Germany who was kind enough to make a set of greeblies for me. Its alongside a Signature Edition replica of Luke's X-Wing helmet and I don't think I'm too far out.
The goggles in this pic have yet to be made at this point, but I'll cover that shortly!

I'm pretty pleased as this is my first helmet, first scratch build and first time I've used Silicone! Until next update!

Rich

Hi Dexjay. are you still making these Y wing helmets. i am looking to get my hands on one and O cannot find any as good as yours. Thank you for your time.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back