Deleted ROTJ Scene Location

Here are a few more tidbits I just found, definitely was filmed indoors somewhere:

Preparing to film Luke constructing his new lightsaber in Tatooine cave (ROTJ deleted scene) : StarWars

Lost Return Of The Jedi Footage May Be Fake, George Lucas Is An *******

Star Wars in Death Valley

STAR WARS AFICIONADO WEBSITE: LUKE AND THE LIGHTSABER: RESTORATION OF A JEDI!

"Prior to Celebration V’s announcement, and despite his returning to film a sequence in his X-wing fighter, and Vader’s burial, for JEDI at ILM/ SKYWALKER RANCH six months or so after principal photography had been originally completed, is it possible that Mark Hamill did notfilm this deleted scene? Is it possible that Mark was superimposed onto it? "There has been some question and rumors that Mark Hamill did not shoot the interior cave of the building of the lightsaber in post production at ILM. I was there. And I've never said he did." So, was the footage of Mark cgi’d into the deleted scene? "No. It was not digital. It was a human being (doubling for Luke), but not Mark."

Last edited:
In the second article it quotes Hamill saying that he remebers filming the scene after he watched it at Celebration.

Hamill would not straight up lie if the scene was fake or it was not him. He's not that kind of person.

So the inside of thr cave was on stage with R2 and Hamill. While the background with 3p0. Was filmed at Death valley. Thats my take on it.

reading the making of ROTJ book, on page 273 mention that it was recorded in the studio, this is what it says:
Marquand and Lucas discuss the pick-up of Hamill as Luke in a makeshift cave on ILM stage, December 20, 1982 (assistant cameraman Randy Johnson and Muren are on the right)
Lucas and crew shoot the scene, with the intense desert sun simulated with hot stage lights.

reading the making of ROTJ book, on page 273 mention that it was recorded in the studio, this is what it says:
Marquand and Lucas discuss the pick-up of Hamill as Luke in a makeshift cave on ILM stage, December 20, 1982 (assistant cameraman Randy Johnson and Muren are on the right)
Lucas and crew shoot the scene, with the intense desert sun simulated with hot stage lights.

That confirms it’s Hamill in the cave! Thanks for sharing!

More than a while I take a picture of the images of the book, I think that there is clearly Marck Hamil and believe by the photos that I do not use the black Jedi costume only the Jedi cloak for that shot.

In The Making of Return of the Jedi by J.W. Rinzler there is even a behind the scenes photo of Mark Hamill in full costume with his cloak on and hood up as they are prepping to film this scene.

I think Mark have a regular clot

Attachments

• 20190322_224534.jpg
    20190322_224534.jpg
    645.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 20190322_224507.jpg
    20190322_224507.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 101
I forgot I own this book, though only this one so far :(

Let me pull it out, I'll look and see if there's anything else. seems like folks have already found it all in there :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back