Deleted ROTJ Scene Location

badboibill

Has anybody ever been able to track down exactly where this scene was filmed? Is this a real cave, or a studio set with a greenscreen?

I believe that the construction scene itself was shot in the studio; however, there are second unit photos taken outside of what was meant to be the cave with R2 and Threepio (and George Lucas is seen as well) in Death Valley.

Where this part was filmed, in Death Valley, I don’t know.

George appears to have some wild hair in these photos:

E69B4F69-C861-46A3-89D1-CFC419FDEFC1.jpeg

73025586-18CD-45F6-B8D6-9F6610895E6C.jpeg

9DE562F7-EDC5-4F96-9CB6-A91EC07AB9AD.jpeg

F3FA379E-BE79-4F43-8993-8E5D6E31E717.jpeg

Last edited:
I asked Anthony Daniels about this some ten years ago (before the composited scene was made public), and he said that the droids had been shot separately very late in the production of ROTJ.
I don't remember if/where he told me it was shot, unfortunately but I do remember that he did say that George Lucas was present making R2-D2's noises to be his cue ...

Last edited:
In Rinzler’s book it mentions a cave scene being filmed at ILM as a post-production pick-up shot. It also mentions compositing in previously filmed droid footage.

Attachments

• 9CAB7887-AC70-4666-9726-924FE97D1AEE.jpeg
    9CAB7887-AC70-4666-9726-924FE97D1AEE.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 76
In Rinzler’s book it mentions a cave scene being filmed at ILM as a post-production pick-up shot. It also mentions compositing in previously filmed droid footage.

The pics I posted, above, are from the Rintzler book as well. It is there that these exterior shots of the “cave” are said to have been taken at an undefined location in Death Valley.

Possibly because it might not be Hamill in the footage.
The droids were shot in Death Valley, AD has mentioned enjoying the small shoot more than principal photography itself.

Possibly because it might not be Hamill in the footage.
The droids were shot in Death Valley, AD has mentioned enjoying the small shoot more than principal photography itself.

Before the actual behind the scenes footage was shown, the rumors circulated about this famous cave scene

Hamill was asked in detail about a scene in a cave with him building a lightsaber

And he replied the he doesn’t ever remember filming a scene building a lightsaber

I think it was just a weak memory, or he wasn’t really told what the scene he was filming was for

“Just sit here mark and fiddle with this lightsaber”

You can see like, the lower third of his face, right? It def. looks like him to me... unless they found a very convincing double. Anywho... thanks for the cave info everybody! I happen to be out in AZ right now and I thought it'd be cool to track down this location but if it's not known that's ok.

Where did I read this? Dang, can't recall...but I distinctly recall reading that the cave has since been deliberately collapsed and buried by the park range as it was hazardous. Don't think it exists anymore.

I would be amazed if there was an evidence of it left by now. They probably dug just enough to make it look like an entrance.

Where did I read this? Dang, can't recall...but I distinctly recall reading that the cave has since been deliberately collapsed and buried by the park range as it was hazardous. Don't think it exists anymore.

I had read the same thing but can't recall where. I have a feeling it was on one of the sites for tracking filming locations in Death Valley for RotJ (or a film location tour thing). I think the hill has been found and remains of where the "cave" was at but I distinctly recall it being gone/collapsed.

Seeing the mouth and chin very vaguely from a distance it is not hard to find someone who could look like Mark from that view. I looked at it twice since reading this thread and can tell its not him.

That’s Hamill...

That portion was filmed in the studio.

After all this time he simply doesn’t remember filming this very brief scene.

Even his mole near the crease of his mouth is there.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back