delete thread

Re: Iron Man Mark III armor build

Well that's a cool way to go about it. :thumbsup Looks like it's taking shape well and like you say inside nice and warm no dust. :cool Are you going to be casting in resin or glass when your done? And I'm guessing rebound25 for all anyway?

Hey Finhead,

I'm gonna just mold with rebound 25 then cast in Polyurethane Resin.

Just a quicky mold to get a couple casts out to finalize.

It's been a good combo that has worked well for me in the past. :)

Last edited:

Looking good so far! Your peps look great. The clay over the top of pep is a good idea, certainly a lot easier to work with and less toxic/smelly then filler. I like the colored paper idea.
Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
-Jay

I'm still working on the Chest when I can. Just been busy with some other things.

Last edited:

It is coming along great. I think you have the right idea with the clay over the pep. You can work on it whenever you want anywhere you want. Looking good.

Thanks man. I work the clay as if its filler anyways. I put some pieces over the areas I want to work on. Mask the edges and heat it up with a heat gun. Then run a filler scraper over the clay to smooth it out.

Works great

I can make a tutorial if anyone likes but its pretty straight forward.

Wow didn't even see you updated this. That back and arm looks like it fits perfect, and those molded pieces are top notch good on your brother and his friend. :cool
Any chance you want to share you moded arm files. :) You know for the next time. :confused:cool

Wow didn't even see you updated this. That back and arm looks like it fits perfect, and those molded pieces are top notch good on your brother and his friend. :cool
Any chance you want to share you moded arm files. :) You know for the next time. :confused:cool

Oh I just modified the actual pepped part.

I'll explain it for you right now bud with a pic

You know the little swoop that was in the inner part of the bicep?

I just filled it in with paper. It will be seamless once its all nice and pretty, so that when its casted, I can just cut out the area for the inner arm creating the left or right. whatever I choose

see here:
DSC04350.jpg

made it symmetrical in 1 minute. hope that helps. :thumbsup

Last edited:

quick update
I finally got full coverage on the Chest section of the Torso
Now to finalize the detail and smoothness before I mold it

DSC04359.jpg

Got the Print layer of the chest done so far, Now onto the next few coats.
I Should have a cast pulled soon to show once its done,

Then I can move to the back.
This projects is slow going now as I unfortunately don't have the time as I did.

That's life.

DSC04363.jpg

Look'in pretty sweet there man. So a "print" coat of rebound? Then a few more and a fiberglass jacket? What are you casting it in, smooth-cast or glass? That looks like a way shorter process than mines turning out to be. (y)cool

thanks man

yup rebound 25

Print layer then a couple of layers with thivex thickening agent then the mother mold jacket

then casting in smooth-cast 320

thanks man

yup rebound 25

Print layer then a couple of layers with thivex thickening agent then the mother mold jacket

then casting in smooth-cast 320

Thanks, that's what I thought quality all the way brutha.(y)cool Are you going to reinforce any of the smoothcast with glass cloth or anything like that? The last ROTS Vader helmet I was looking at used something to that effect, not reg glass but a urethane glass I believe.

Thanks, that's what I thought quality all the way brutha.(y)cool Are you going to reinforce any of the smoothcast with glass cloth or anything like that? The last ROTS Vader helmet I was looking at used something to that effect, not reg glass but a urethane glass I believe.

once you cast with smooth cast you don't really need to use any glass,

the resin thickens a bit and if you do it right you can get some even distribution so that it ends up having thick enough walls that its solid enough yet durable and lightweight in the end. (don't think its lighter or stronger than fiberglass though)

I have used glass and urethane resin in the past to repair cracks

The torso was actually glassed with urethane since I am able to use the resin indoors.

I pepped a new helmet because I wanted a slightly bigger one to install some tech later
didn't take very long so it was ok

the 3 sections arent glued together because I dont want to cut them apart after resining. they are being held together from the inside of the helmet
Same method that Finhead used.

Helmet
DSC04380.jpg

DSC04381.jpg

Last edited:

The chest is lookin good! You pulling any casts soon? The helmets looking good as well. Keep up the good work

Cheers,

-Jay

That helmet looks great! can i ask where you got the file? ITs got a great shape without being divided into a million pieces.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back