Defined Green Lantern Comic Rings

Your Kyle symbol is 24mm tall?? Wow. Mine's 20.64 and it still feels kinda huge :O

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 27
The CHONK! I guess the Mosaic promo ring with the glow in the dark center is more accurate than we realized!

That promo ring’s symbol is a whopping 29.5mm in length, and 6.3mm thick. But it did influence my decision to have no undercut between the bottom of the symbol and the top of the band.

Also, that promo ring used the alternate licensing symbol as its basis, as (generally) the art of guys like Joe Staton did. That version of the symbol has thicker sidebars, giving the symbol different proportions and more vertical height (which makes it a better vertical fit to the shape of a finger, because it’s taller and skinnier).

IMG_3269.jpeg

Preliminary tweaking has begun. I bumped the REBIRTH disc size back up to 20mm, increased the taper of the band for a stronger, more top-heavy look, and made numerous alterations to the tolerances and internal structure to allow the parts to snap together a bit more easily and leave a little more room for the extra mass of the glue. I also modified the inner retaining ring to allow for a looser fit while still providing an internal gluing surface for the inner portion of the disc to attach to (along with the two alignment tabs and their corresponding sockets).

In previous iterations, one thing or another would prevent the bottom edge of the disc from sitting flush against the top of the band, among other fit issues. These tweaks should rectify that.

And, up until now, I’ve mostly avoided filleting the edges of the symbols of the signet-style rings, mainly because the 0.50mm filleting applied to the other edges of the rings is either too much, and begins to distort the tiny symbols’ shapes, or is impossible to do because the blends would overlap. In this case, I went with a subtle, 0.25mm fillet for the edges.

IMG_1762.png
IMG_1763.png
IMG_1764.png
IMG_1765.png
IMG_1766.png
IMG_1767.png
IMG_1769.png

Of course, I devised 23mm variants of the V2 and V3 beforehand, in case the 24mm versions were too chunky. I’ve just finished making some mods. The gem sizes/tolerances have been loosened up a bit. Also, the angularity of the V2 band has bugged me for quite some time, so, I added a 1.5mm fillet (rather than the previous 0.50mm) to the outer edges to round them off a bit more than they’d been.

Overall, I think we’re getting close. I’m still worried about the V3 being too chunky, although part of that might come down to the height of the face. The other rings all work well at 5mm high, but the V3 is still a question mark.

IMG_1770.png
IMG_1771.png
IMG_1772.png
IMG_1773.png
IMG_1774.png
IMG_1775.png

Lookin' good as always, Gregatron . As for the gems, there's an idea I've been wanting to play with but I'm unable to - embedding a magnet in the center of the ring so it can trigger the light up feature on the replica Lantern Batteries. Unfortunately the only battery replicas I have don't feature this... er... feature. So I wouldn't know which pole of the magnet would activate it without being able to test.

In examining the (incomplete) EMERALD DAWN test print, I’m pleased with the overall look, but for two details:

*The height, which, at 5mm just seems too tall. The comic art tends to show a lower-profile look for this design.

*The disc diameter. At 22mm, it looks perfectly fine for an ordinary ring, but the art usually makes that disc look BIG.

So, I set about modifying the design. I broke with the motion of consistent heights for all the rings, and lowered the ED to 3.5mm. I also enlarged the disc to a 23mm diameter.

It really does seem like the universe is pushing me toward 23mm for various designs. Far and away the trickiest part of this project has been scaling the designs so they look and feel right, both in terms of the comic art and real-world rings.

IMG_1783.png
IMG_1784.png
IMG_1785.png
IMG_1786.png
IMG_1787.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back