decal bonding spray?

Carnet

I have some testors decal sheets that I will be printing on. It mentions the need to spray the sheet with "decal bonding spray"

Testors decal bonding spray is $18...

Is this essentially just clear coat? Or is it something special?

That bonder is used to prevent the ink from being washed of, when you put the decals into water or onto the surface. In theory, you can use a clear coat as a substitute, but i'm not sure how well that works. Many modellers use this method, however.

There are several alternatives, though, like Microscale Liquid Decal Film.

The small Testors sheets are expensive, but there are alternatives on Amazon in full 8.5x11” size. You can use a clear coat but practice on what water temperature that you use to soak the decals on afterwards. Some clear coats expand a lot causing your decals to curl on the sides. I’m assuming that it is either caused but the decal substrate absorption of water or the temperature that causes this. I have ruined a few sheets because of this. I’ve purchased the Testors Bonding spray but have yet to use it.

TazMan2000

The small Testors sheets are expensive, but there are alternatives on Amazon in full 8.5x11” size. You can use a clear coat but practice on what water temperature that you use to soak the decals on afterwards. Some clear coats expand a lot causing your decals to curl on the sides. I’m assuming that it is either caused but the decal substrate absorption of water or the temperature that causes this. I have ruined a few sheets because of this. I’ve purchased the Testors Bonding spray but have yet to use it.

TazMan2000

Thanks

I do have a pack of the alternative sheets already. I tried them and had some issues...but that was most likely due to the fact that I just jumped in head first without looking, and I gave up on it assuming that my failures were due to the cheaper stock. So, recently someone recommended the testors sheets, which is why I purchased a set. Everything I have learned recently makes me realize that my issues were due to improper application and use, not the actual paper.

I'll try some tests with both.

Something to consider: If you're using Testors decal sheets consider the fact that Testors has likely developed and tested their spray to work with their sheets. Would other sprays work? Probably. But using Testors brand would eliminate the guesswork. Sometimes just the peace of mind that you know something will work is worth a few extra bucks.

Decals tutorial. sort of.
Buy decal paper. I like 8.5x11 off amazon. lots of choices. look for thin substrate the better.

Testors decal paper. falls on the better quality paper side. I use the Testers Dull-coat as the sealer. 6 lite coats, turn the decal paper 90 degree between each coat as you will get a much better sealing coating. Let each coat dry before you spray the next coat. Let them dry 24 hours before you use them. This applies to desk jet type printers
Desk jet printers use an H2O base ink mix. TEST your decal paper before you print all your decals. use this to learn how your printer ink and the decal paper react.
Some decal paper doesn't require as many seal coats of dull-coat, some more.

Hope this helps.
best regards.
e

to bond decals to the decal sheet, i've used both Testors clearcote (gloss) and dullcote and even a generic clear gloss spray can. both seem to have acceptable results. the trick is to let to fully dry. Testors needs about 3 days before sealing, generic sprays need like 6 days because they are chemically hotter and will smear if sprayed too soon.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back