Debunking the color of Vaders Lenses for his ANH Helmet

I agree to an extent Mac, the effort is very noble indeed. Great thread, however with respect the answer was given and I really don't mean to sound like an idiot for saying that, although I would probably fail? It doesn't matter if I said it in post#2 or Gino in #79, it's the same thing.

However I admire the efforts that have taken place , very educational on various level's :thumbsup

Ya the original VHS was the best reference....but even before this thread there were discussions between the smoked vs amber camp....how this color could just be the result of skin tone doesn't make sense to me...

Anyone check the Revisited dvd? High res shows ridiculous detail! But knowing the extensive changes made, they're probably smoked now:lol
Hmm..........
vadereyes.jpg

I agree to an extent Mac, the effort is very noble indeed. Great thread, however with respect the answer was given and I really don't mean to sound like an idiot for saying that, although I would probably fail? It doesn't matter if I said it in post#2 or Gino in #79, it's the same thing.

However I admire the efforts that have taken place , very educational on various level's :thumbsup

Paul, my post was unfortunately made briskly due to things being busy at the office. It was inadvertently too narrow in scope, but it was directed at the blatant disdain and disregard to those who have put time and research into Vader but who conduct themselves kindly and humbly.

I didn't feel, at the time of my post (and now I see my words were quite inadequate) that it would even apply to you. In my mind, you've always set the standard of character, knowledge and kind sharing.

You've not only put literally years of research into ESB, but with a level of granularity that truly humble the "knowledge" self-proclaimed "experts." Without second thought, I consider your expertise to be on the very forefront.

And even though you're probably the most softspoken about what you know, others - with only a fraction of what you know - do the most chest thumping and plagiarism, often at your expense. Do consider this post a correction of my post and my gratitude of how much I've been able to learn from you. :thumbsup

Paul, my post was unfortunately made briskly due to things being busy at the office. It was inadvertently too narrow in scope, but it was directed at the blatant disdain and disregard to those who have put time and research into Vader but who conduct themselves kindly and humbly.

I didn't feel, at the time of my post (and now I see my words were quite inadequate) that it would even apply to you. In my mind, you've always set the standard of character, knowledge and kind sharing.

You've not only put literally years of research into ESB, but with a level of granularity that truly humble the "knowledge" self-proclaimed "experts." Without second thought, I consider your expertise to be on the very forefront.

And even though you're probably the most softspoken about what you know, others - with only a fraction of what you know - do the most chest thumping and plagiarism, often at your expense. Do consider this post a correction of my post and my gratitude of how much I've been able to learn from you. :thumbsup

Now there is no need to talk so "soft" , you make me all embarassed:redface. Seriously, thank you Mac that means alot, and in turn I apologise if I came across as snappy in my response buddy.

Last edited:
ANH lenses were amber but more brown than orange. Note that this comes from painting and installing lenses of every color of the rainbow in alot of helmets for other RPFers. When you put the helmet on the a human face, the only color that really looked similar to the screen shots of old, were the ones that had the darker brownish/amber colored lenses. I've installed smoke gray, dark gray/blackish, yellow amber, orange amber, fluorescent orange amber, dark brown amber and a deep red lense in these helmets. The Dark Brown amber color is the winner of my hands on experiments.

Keep in mind, this is only one man's interpretation, but with all these lenses, all the others just look wrong.

Dave :)

Last edited:
Amber! Not amber! Orange! Not orange!

Anyone have a Pantone swatch book on them? Patones are colors on coated or uncoated paper, so they're not going to be the best color equivalent, but until we have a color identification system, I think we're going to confuse each other and prolong our arguements. :lol

Some want to reproduce what they believe they saw on the screen while some want to reproduce the prop as it was. There is merit to both approaches. I personally feel that an ANH Vader with orange eyes is somewhat disconcerting. :)

I've spent some time adjusting my flat panel LCD TV to try to compensate for the overly pink skintones in hopes it would help make things look more realistic, if not give a better color representation of the ANH lenses. However, the setting that works well for certain scenes don't work well for others. It's almost as if the color treatment's a bit all over the map.

I think after all this debate a picture is deserved. A re-sized rare image of the ANH lens shot in daylight. More brown instead of orange as mentioned before, other images show this better but I can't share those I'm afraid.

There are certain other rare pics where flash is used in certain lights, once again some shots show the lens to look redd-ish in tone but it's not true to the lens as stated. We need to get away from the red lens theory in a sense.

anhhr.jpg

Last edited:
Yes indeed, I own a pair of red lenses.........definitely not red. I believe as Mike stated, the red componenet in lighting, comes from the skin tone of Prowse/Kermit in photos......not the lense itself. :)

Dave

Maybe I misread large parts of this thread then as that IS the answer I agree. I thought we had 20 pages of experimenting to test different colours to determine what the lens colour was in which it was said straight away. and as for the actual colour of the amber that was said pages ago. So what's the debate about? :lol

Last edited:
I gotta say, I'm just too lazy to sift thru pages and pages of this stuff and I'm sure others have as little spare time as I do. I'm a bottom line man. With that title of this thread.........the one word answer needs to be repeated a few times if you know what I mean? :)

Dave

Ha, I think I know that image, Paul! :lol But I thought that one was shown on RPF already?

Well I agree with what Mac said about Paul....the guy is a walking textbook when it comes to Vader :)

Ha, I think I know that image, Paul! :lol But I thought that one was shown on RPF already?

Well I agree with what Mac said about Paul....the guy is a walking textbook when it comes to Vader :)

Don't tell me I have to buy you a drink aswell for those words :lol

Thanks Thomas.

:lol

THAT was funny....

Seriously though....I believe the colour of the ANH Vader's lenses was determined long ago here as an amber hue. The fact that Mike is providing the analysis is great, but I think the same conclusion will be reached. But hey....let's see if we can reach 40 pages, give those AA/SDS threads a run for their money! :p

Last edited:
.. The thing is, the word 'amber' has been mentioned for years, and I'm quite sure that's correct I was just hoping Mike's analysis might lead us to a shade or hue of amber that we could all actually look at and try to match.

Mike showed that it is possible to conduct an objective and thorough analysis of the original colors (or hues) using photographic reference alone, as there were those who held out on the dark grey lenses stating that one couldn't be certain until one had the original prop in hand...and Mike showed otherwise. It's always great if a member here can apply their own professional expertise to a particular question about an original prop.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back