Davy Jones' Pipe- PAINT, LIGHTS, BASE!! DONE! WHOO!

Re: POTC Davy Jones' pipe sculpt and buildup . . .

Here's the first pull. I'm not sure if I'll have to do another, cause this one came out clean and pretty!. I'm really pleased!! I uped the contrast and dropped the brightness so you could really see the details.

I'll drill into it and add the stem armature fro sculpting, sculpt the bottom of the bowl, and lastly sculpt the two front pincher claws.
I should have this done by tonight!!

Whatcha' think?
djpiperesinbowlct3.jpg
djpiperesinbowl2kj1.jpg

Re: Davy Jones' pipe, sculpt stem added

I've gotten the stem done, and have started to get a bit of the subtle detailing done. I've included the really nice pic that got me inspired. I absolutrly love the coloring on this pipe, and from looking at the film, it appears that this is the filming pipe, as the coloring matches exact. I'm taking a long diiner break, cause I'm pulling Scout blasters, and Ghostbuster guns at the moment, and I sculpt while everything cures for 45 min or so. I've been doing this for a week or so stragiht, so I'm ready for a steak!!
I'll be adding and subtracting, as well as giving the upper stem more of a bend after this comes outta the mold.

Enjoy the pics, see you guys later tonight with the finished product.

pipepicyw5.jpg

djpipestembo4.jpg
djpipestem2fp1.jpg

This sculpt looks fantastic! Great work.

I wonder if a cast off an original will ever pop up.

looking fantastic!!!! Might I suggest slightly bending the stem a bit more??? It looks too straight

yes, I will be offering these. I'm excited to make mine first though!!

Last edited:
Re: Davy Jones' pipe, sculpt finished. Interest thread next?

I am soo in for one of these!!!! It'll look great next to my Davy Jones bust :love

Yes, I agree.Anybody want one of these?? :lol
Lots of looks though, that makes me happy that you guys are getting to see it.
The stem's in silicone, and will be out tonight or tommorow. I cleaned some of the details up a bit on the stem, like the tip, and making the upper stem a bit smoother. I also added crusties on the lower stem, to dirty up the pipe a bit. I was too clean. I didn't grab any pics, cause I was out the door for Easter dinner (mmm ham . . ), but I'll have a cast asap.

Last edited:

Well, I pulled the first main body piece today, and gave it a coat of etching primer. I'm very, very happy with the results!!

You can now see the addtional dirtying up of the pipe that I did on Sunday morning and cast before snapping photos(sorry about that).
firstpipe1yp5.jpg
firstpipe2hj5.jpg

Wanna know the trick to the flith? Of course you do!! :lol

I took a little bit of McCormick spice, wet it onto the pipe stem, and pressed in the clay, then gave it a quick primer coat to hold it on during the casting.

You can also now see the correctly bent pipe stem, and the resculpted mouthpiece.

The two front pinchers and two rear legs are now in silicone, and will look really great with the empty space around them.
I've begun the base of the pipe, which will look similar to the face of Tia Dalma's Necklace. The display base will be the 'key cloth' that Jack steals from the Turkish prison. While interesting and eyecatching, I think it won't detract from the pipe. I also had to come up with something that would hold this oddly shaped smoker, but still look appropriate next to a locket, Dead Man's Chest, or any collection of POTC Props.
Enjoy!!

That's excellent! Can't wait to see it fully assembled.

Re: Davy Jones' pipe, first casting pulled!!

This is looking great. I am definitely in for one. Do you have a sign up list? Are you going to be offering completed (painted) pieces?

Re: Davy Jones' pipe, first casting pulled!!

Thanks guys! :redface
I'll be starting up the list here in a day or two in the JY, and I'm unsure as to offering completed pieces. THis is a pretty wild peice, so I'll leave it up to popular opinion. More to come soon!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back