Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - Password in First Post

Re: Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - V2 Biceps Done pg 130!

Wow !
great progress !!
you should try to wet sand it after applying spot putty !

I bought milliput today so I can finish the handplate and yeah...wet sanding is foreseen to get the best of every parts! Those are my first tries ever with body filler and I still have to learn. It's gonna be better and better :)

Thanks for the kind words! :)

NOW MAKE IT DO THIS
PBo5y4b.png

Darkside501st, I love your models. Great job! One of my colleagues at work has a cousin who works for Marvel (now Disney) as a modeler. Unfortunately he can't provide the production models without insane licensing fees, but I honestly believe yours are on par, especially for building a replica suit.

Hello everyone! I came upon this thread some time ago because I've always been interested in building out a suit. I've started doing some peps and am getting ready to begin fabrication. I'm a tinkerer by nature and have a bit of experience with programming microcontrollers, electronics, mechanical engineering, fabrication, body work, 3D modeling, and a ton of computer science/programming expertise.

My plan right now is to build out a Mark 7 suit with a ton of functionality. It's going to be a fully integrated suit. All of the electronics, mechanics, (and a few surprises) are going to be integrated and controlled from a central processor. I'm still working out the implementation details, but I want this thing to be epic. I plan on a full fiber/resin suit with as much film-accurate articulation as possible.

I'm really looking forward to staying plugged in here and sharing in my successes as well as failures, as failing is the best way to learn and improve.

I'm new here, but I hope to become a contributing member and I look forward to seeing all the amazing builds getting completed! (my own included!)

Darkside501st, I love your models. Great job! One of my colleagues at work has a cousin who works for Marvel (now Disney) as a modeler. Unfortunately he can't provide the production models without insane licensing fees, but I honestly believe yours are on par, especially for building a replica suit.

Hello everyone! I came upon this thread some time ago because I've always been interested in building out a suit. I've started doing some peps and am getting ready to begin fabrication. I'm a tinkerer by nature and have a bit of experience with programming microcontrollers, electronics, mechanical engineering, fabrication, body work, 3D modeling, and a ton of computer science/programming expertise.

My plan right now is to build out a Mark 7 suit with a ton of functionality. It's going to be a fully integrated suit. All of the electronics, mechanics, (and a few surprises) are going to be integrated and controlled from a central processor. I'm still working out the implementation details, but I want this thing to be epic. I plan on a full fiber/resin suit with as much film-accurate articulation as possible.

I'm really looking forward to staying plugged in here and sharing in my successes as well as failures, as failing is the best way to learn and improve.

I'm new here, but I hope to become a contributing member and I look forward to seeing all the amazing builds getting completed! (my own included!)

That sounds amazing! Good luck with the work can't wait to see how it comes out. And since you 're wiring it, could you share some of your knowledge? I would like some things on mine to open so it makes it easier to get in and out of. Thanks!

That sounds amazing! Good luck with the work can't wait to see how it comes out. And since you 're wiring it, could you share some of your knowledge? I would like some things on mine to open so it makes it easier to get in and out of. Thanks!

I'm looking forward to it as well. I'll definitely share what I can. I don't have a ton of free time, so I won't be able to do an uber detailed build log most likely, but I will take pics and go through what I can.

Last night I 3D printed one ear with the model I just made, I should have realized that the model was a bit low poly and the faces would be seen once I scaled it up to the correct size... I'm making another model with much more faces to correct this

2013-08-22 02.30.10.jpg2013-08-22 02.43.21.jpg

I like a lot how this turned out... so much that I went ahead and started modeling the entire helmet! (I can't use other people's model to 3D print, specially if I want to share the model later...) I still have a lot to work in the model, it's just a rough shape (and also a bit offtopic to this post) but here is a preview:

untitled.png

If this turns out well I will make a separate thread about this

Last edited:
Re: Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - New Pics pg 100!!

How did you solved this problem with the back? Did you find a good solution before fiberglass? I found a easy solution to this, if you still need help tell me.

Regards

How did you solved this problem with the back? Did you find a good solution before fiberglass? I found a easy solution to this, if you still need help tell me.

Regards

Who are you asking?? :unsure
Better if you quote to whom you are referring to :)

damnit, what about 300gsm (110lb)?

Remember that if you want to print it, your printer must be able to handle that thickness! otherwise you will have to print in normal paper and use it as a template... and that's a pain in the ass...

I don't know that was the thickness of my paper, the guy in the local shop only had that kind of thick paper so I didn't thought it much :D
I think that must be around 200gr/m² and I wouldn't try to print any paper thicker than that in my printer.

I agree with ballanux. The best results I got is with 200gsm paper.

yeah, my printer can print in that type of paper and sincerely, it was the only one i had in my house... besides, i saw a video on youtube (from boochieboy, don't know if you know him) and he said the minimum was 110lb cardstock, so i just started doing.

I have a few question. I'm at the resin stage with large pieces (chest and back):
- how to avoid wrapping for large pieces? For example, the "shoulder" piece of the back is really flexible even with supports. Do I have to add something to strengthen the part in the red circle?
- if wrapping happens, how can I correct it? Heat the resin with heat gun then try to adjust the piece? When can I do that? First layer of resin, second? Doesn't matter til I didn't put the fiberglass?
- the cod piece doesn't have supports. Do I have to make my own or the piece won't wrap too much?

Thanks for any answers you can give me, I really appreciate!

Regards

- - - Updated - - -

Who are you asking?? :unsure
Better if you quote to whom you are referring to :)

Sorry... I forgot this detail! :$

- - - Updated - - -

Remember that if you want to print it, your printer must be able to handle that thickness! otherwise you will have to print in normal paper and use it as a template... and that's a pain in the ass...

I don't know that was the thickness of my paper, the guy in the local shop only had that kind of thick paper so I didn't thought it much :D
I think that must be around 200gr/m² and I wouldn't try to print any paper thicker than that in my printer.

I agree with ballanux. The best results I got is with 200gsm paper.

I'm using 180 and the results are very good too.

II can not verify because Pep designer asks me for a password.. How can I do? How to convert?

yes

Yes, ISO A4 with cutting mat

Both on screen and when I print (A4) I see the image below. I have highlighted the area that does not cut.
P.s. When resize pep on 50% all cut correctly

TNX TNX :cry

View attachment 177579

Did you solve this problem? Is still needing help?

This problem occurred with me and believe in me the Silhouette is working correctly, I will explain.

The files has a default orientation, probably "Portrait", but when you put the paper in Silhouette you are positioning this in "landscape" orientation. For the Silhouette there are no problem, it read the registration marks and start to cut, but it is "understanding" that it has to stop in the registration mark limit, let me say, the "printer" knows" that it have to cut more paper but the registration marks are limiting the cut.
Do exactly the same procedure that you had done but when positioning the paper on the Silhouette, turn it 90 degrees counterclockwise.

When you decrease the scale to 50%, you simply put the pieces inside the "cut area", due to this it seems to work well.

Did you understand? If not I can prepare a illustrated procedure.

Last edited:

Regards

I hotglued some popsicle woodstick inside the shoulder part of the back to keep them straight and duct taped the top of the missile pods to keep them aligned.

For warping, heatgun does the trick.

I hotglued some popsicle woodstick inside the shoulder part of the back to keep them straight and duct taped the top of the missile pods to keep them aligned.

For warping, heatgun does the trick.

Nice solution, I did almost the same. I applied resin in the external area and used bamboo sticks with adhesive tapes. I did this to become the structure rigid in all the back. This way it is a little bit easier to achieve symmetry before apply fiberglass, this way very few adjustments will be necessary before finish phase.

At night I will try to post some pictures.

Regards!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back