Darkside501st's Fallout NCR Veteran Ranger and Pip-Boy 3000 Build

That's really good mate!

looks great, hope your thinking of adding a small fan in the mask as it looks like it might get hot in there

Thanks guys. Yes I do plan on adding airflow. This will be the first masked character I have done but, being a member of the 501st Legion, many of my friends wear helmets all the time and I know how hot and stuffy it can get.

I am planning on adding a fan on the snout and a blower at the end of the hose. I can also put one in the canister on the left side of the mask. So I will try out those spots and see what I like best. I am not sure how the snout will work since that is right where my mouth goes. It might make my voice sound distorted or I might like the way it makes my voice sound. Luke, Luke... I am your father. Leelaaloo leelaaloo (Black Sheep reference)

Anyways, I think that it would be better to have the fans pulling the hot air out of the mask rather than blowing air on my face. Any opinions on that?

The only way you can extract hot air without blowing fresh air on your face is to put a fan on the back and the blower in the snout (like it's done in a computer case). But it's quite impossible to do in a confined space like a helmet and you won't be able to conceal the fan on the back easily.

On top of that you must allow the air to flow, so make a bigger helmet with stripes of padding from back to forth so the air can go from the back to the snout where it's extracted.

Maybe a fan in the hose with internal tubing going to the back and blower in the canister. Don't forget to separate the air suction from the extractor to avoid "closed circuit". You don't want to blow hot (and polluted) air right in the air pump :D

The easiest way to do it is indeed doing like you said last: only a blower and let the atmospheric pressure to fill the helmet with fresh air.

Well, I was thinking about it like a computer case actually. Like I said I am thinking of putting in the blower on the hose going into the right side of the mask and then the exhaust fan in the canister on the left side. So instead of front to back it would be side to side.

Front to back would be better, I admit, but as you can see it would be more difficult to implement. The helmet has a harness system so no foam padding is needed. The helmet does not sit directly on my head.

Got my gloves in today. I chose these cause the velcro flap wraps around under your wrist. Most other gloves secure on the top of your wrist but I felt like that would interfere with the handplate. I also like the ventilated texture on the back of the hand.

I found out that they size runs a little big... I originally ordered a medium but it was too big so I got a small but I could probably fit into an extra-small. So if anyone out there wants a set of these and normally wheres a large then send me a PM. I might also be willing to sell the small so I can get the extra small. So if you guys want a set and normally where a large or a medium then send me a PM. Take a look:

I just got the first cast out of Skruffy's handplate mold. I am sure he will be offering them up soon. Here are some images of it (raw cast form) taped to my glove.

I know this thread's kind of old, but I was wondering where you got your gloves from? Trying to build a Pipboy myself and I can't seem to figure out where you found your gloves. Got some insight?

I know this thread's kind of old, but I was wondering where you got your gloves from? Trying to build a Pipboy myself and I can't seem to figure out where you found your gloves. Got some insight?

I got these from ebay. I found out that they size runs a little big... I originally ordered a medium but it was too big so I got a small but I could probably fit into an extra-small. So if you want to buy the mediums off me then send me a PM.

I haven't made much progress on this costume since I have been so busy with other things lately but I have just listed a For Sale thread in the Junkyard for my helmet kit. I am not allowed to link to it but you can look at my profile for a list of threads that I have started.

I already made my pipboy :D but instead of using a fake screen I have my phone in it and my phone has apps to make it look and sound just like the pipboy: )

Ok, so I have been working hard on my 2nd gen helmet and I wanted to post up some progress pictures. I haven't had time to do anything else with the rest of the costume though. Anyway, here are a few images that I uploaded:

1.png20150124_231700597_iOS.jpg20150125_175236909_iOS.jpg20150329_031049907_iOS.jpg20150329_031104201_iOS.jpg20150413_045948243_iOS.jpg20150413_045922837_iOS.jpg

Here is a link to the full gallery of WIP pictures.
http://1drv.ms/1NXv4sj

I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not I should add the battle damage into the original (like I did with the 1st gen helmet) or if I should leave is smooth so that everyone can create their own unique battle damage before painting the cast. Any opinions?

I got the mask cut in two and mounting tabs added so it is almost ready to make molds. I need to spray the whole thing with primer and then after it cures I can make the molds.

20150427_224557195_iOS.jpg 20150427_224623238_iOS.jpg
20150427_224711762_iOS.jpg 20150427_224728846_iOS.jpg
20150427_224752095_iOS.jpg 20150427_224848352_iOS.jpg

I apologize for resurrecting an old thread but, do you know of anyone that has decals or stencils for the writing on the NCR helmets?

anyone with a vinyl cutter/plotter should be able to make that for you without issue..

either vinyl for a sticker..

or card stock (or negative vinyl stencil) for painting...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back