Cyclops Costume for 3yr old - FINISHED PICS pg3

Re: WIP Cyclops Costume for 3yr old - X-men Buckle Model

dude hands down after all is said and done u should really put urself out there and mas produce these locally.

You have the luckiest kids...EVAR! And there is an X-Men meetup on Saturday at 2:30 on the Hilton steps...we're def. going to that one. We'll try our hardest to go to the big Marvel shoot on Sunday!

wow so fast and great work.. could you share dancing fool's pep file? is there a list of where his pep files are available?

Last night I paid dearly for trying to get a small lower-leg model from my 3yr old son. It was like wrestling a bobcat, but I finally got the duct tape layers removed with no one getting seriously hurt! :love

I also picked up a pair of tiny (size 8) work boots from our local thrift store this week ($1), and planned to use them as a base for the X-men Hero boots for his costume.

Here's the lower-leg model and the boot (pre-modification)...
6084131891_30049acf1c.jpg

Now, Before I go into details... I figure some of you just want to skip ahead and see the video -- so, here is the link! (for the rest of you... read on).

I cut the tongue out, the heel loop and part of the laces holes. to de-bulk the ankle diameter. I then worked with cling-wrap, duct tape, paper and anything else I had to wrap up the shoe/leg-model and then make foam templates out of after it was cut off and spread out.
6084131337_e02d8904e0.jpg

Here is the first piece of foam being glued onto the shoe...
6084131153_3e750d9d63.jpg

The lower and upper side panels were next, but I first glued them together before gluing them to the shoe.
6084676898_c841733c9f.jpg

Then they got glued to the shoe (starting at the heel piece of foam).
6084676408_56719bd3b3.jpg

(ignore how gimpy my hot glue gun is, please)

So, this is how the back looked at this point...
6084130753_b54a91c758.jpg

And then with that back seam glued up, it looked like this...
6084130541_a84c3ed3d2.jpg

...and here is the same shot from the front. Note: you can see I re-enforced the back seam with glue-stitches across the back.
6084130421_d965e5da39.jpg

I then took a strip of black velcro and split one side length-wise. That was glued along both edges of the opening in the front of the boot (to allow my son to get his foot in and out of the boot).

The other half of the velcro was NOT split length-wise, but was rather glued to the back of a 1" wide strip of foam that runs from the very toe of the boot all the way up the front.

Here are the (nearly) finished pictures...
6084675712_f32909120f.jpg

6084130065_e86bc9c2e6.jpg

6084675282_d4b22c6710.jpg

Things still to do:
1. Decide if I want to do an X-men logo at the top of the front of the boot (where the strip ends at the top of the boot).
2. If not that, terminate that stripe in some other way.
3. Plasti-dip the whole boot.
4. Paint and weather it a bit.
5. Remember that I have to do a SECOND boot after this one! :confused

Oh, and here is the link again to the video... for anyone brave enough to still be reading!

Re: WIP Cyclops Costume for 3yr old - Foam Boots build w Video

incredible. You are a very talented man and an amazing father!

Doesn't it seem a shame that they will out grow them so quickly though? You should make a statue out of the costumes when they get too big :lol

Love this build,truly a work of art!!!
Amazing buddy

Thanks, my friend. :)

incredible. You are a very talented man and an amazing father!
Doesn't it seem a shame that they will out grow them so quickly though? You should make a statue out of the costumes when they get too big :lol

It's a good thought, I already have the dummy that's Mikey-size for Ironman, and I'll probably just keep the belt and visor for Cyclops... The rest isn't worth keeping long-term.

I picked up white Plasti-dip and some yellow/gold Krylon paint (that is supposed to stick well to plastic). I also bought some spandex/poly blend yellow/gold material that will be used to sew the groin piece. Fabric, thread and material are all being mailed to my mother in Florida - she's my main hook-up I need something beyond hand stitching. :)

I can't wait to see how paint works!

...a bit more progress...

Sprayed the X-men belt with 2.5 coats of white plasti-dip ($8/can). Then hit it with some adhesive promoter before spraying it with 2 coats of Krylon paint that says on the can it's works on plastics (I think it's called SUNBEAM YELLOW). Worked good for me - no cracking when bent.

6087362182_635f9373b8.jpg

6087362540_3c639fbfe8.jpg

Here is the pouch section of the belt (with the little faux buttons added)...
6086818343_aab3636064.jpg

And before I could detail it or even paint the X-men logo in black and red, my son wanted to suit up and see how it looked!

6087363142_5f270bb935.jpg

Sorry for the crappy colors in the photo. His tights are really navy blue and the belt is VERY yellow.

I also had him try on the one finished boot I had done... It was easy to get on -- and VERY hard to get chase him down to get it OFF him! I think he likes it a bit! :cool
6087363330_370895b14c.jpg

And finally, I polished off the other boot tonight so now they are both awaiting my decision regarding the top-front of the boot (which I'm leaning toward just ending in a slightly higher level than the top of the boot and calling it done).

6087799370_2e9e54a153.jpg

I was going to detail the belt tonight (I'm actually looking forward to that bit of work), but it's late and my wife is out of town this weekend presenting lectures at a foster parent conference... So, I really need to get some sleep so I can finish wrangling three kids this weekend! :):thumbsup

A paint that I've found to work on plastics like no one's business is Krylon Fusion for plastics. All the other guys I know in the Nerf Modding world swear by it to paint their blasters.

Man, you are rocking this project, I'm studying the boots process so I can customize some comic style Captain America boots for my brother. You're not just an awesome builder but an awesome Dad as well, my hat's off to you sir...

You Sir, are a great Dad! And do fantastic work!

I appreciate all the compliments. Both projects have been REALLY fun for me!

I got one boot plasti-dipped and now I'm painting it.

Here's some pictures...
6089278222_faf79682e8.jpg

6089774148_e1e9d04a94.jpg

I'll post a final picture of the boots after I remove all the paint tape (and get them detailed).

Quick question what type / where did you get the foam for the belt/shoes? It looks thinner than the typical floormat eva foam.

Also this costume is great. I have learned a lot from watching your progress.

Quick question what type / where did you get the foam for the belt/shoes? It looks thinner than the typical floormat eva foam.

I buy all my closed-cell EVA foam from Caroline's ebay store - Wandy Foam.

GraphicJordan pointed me to Wandy Foam, as he buys all his 4mm foam from her. It was a GREAT referral, as Caroline has been wonderful to deal with!

I have tried some of the craft foam (3mm) that Hobby Lobby stocks, and I found their foam less flexible (and even a hair thinner) than Wandy Foam's 3mm product. It also didn't seem to cut as cleanly. I've purchased foam from Wandy Foam several times now and they have responded very quickly to all of my emails and are VERY fast shippers.

All the foam I've used for final pieces on Mikey's armor and the Cyclops costume came from here, so I definitely recommend them. :thumbsup

Product links:

4mm Craft Foam (package of FIVE 12"x18" sheets) = $6.00 (5/19/11)

3mm Craft Foam (package of FIVE 12"x18" sheets) = $5.00 (5/19/11)

Most adult costumes that people are using floor mats for, would probably enjoy working with the 4mm foam. I use the 3mm stuff for the kids (it just looks a bit more correctly scaled for their size).

Also... I've posted a couple of video tutorial related to how I work with this material:

PART ONE: MAKING TEMPLATES & CUTTING FOAM PIECES
PART TWO: GLUING PIECES TOGETHER (INCLUDING ANGLED CONNECTIONS)

Hope all that helps! :):thumbsup

Sorry for the lack of updates, but my wife and I are working to prep for Dragon Con in Atlanta, this coming weekend. We are still not sure how much of the convention we can attend... Our 5-yr-old, Mikey, just started his first full week of kindergarten this week, and yesterday was pretty rough for him.

We'll be playing this weekend by ear, but we have a place to stay for whatever days we're there... it will simply depend on how our little man is doing emotionally after this week of transition.

To help identify those of us attending D*Con, Delmustatar created an RPF member badge (and I've modified that template just a bit). So, this is what I'll be wearing while we're at the Con.

6096327841_acbb5f6999.jpg

LARGE VERSION HERE for anyone interested in modifying it for their own use (sorry for the pixelization... I basically just moved stuff around rather than re-designing the badge).

I hope to see some of you at at D*Con in a couple days!!! If you see me, please, please introduce yourself - I'd love to put some faces with usernames! :):thumbsup

I buy all my closed-cell EVA foam from Caroline's ebay store - Wandy Foam.

GraphicJordan pointed me to Wandy Foam, as he buys all his 4mm foam from her. It was a GREAT referral, as Caroline has been wonderful to deal with!

I have tried some of the craft foam (3mm) that Hobby Lobby stocks, and I found their foam less flexible (and even a hair thinner) than Wandy Foam's 3mm product. It also didn't seem to cut as cleanly. I've purchased foam from Wandy Foam several times now and they have responded very quickly to all of my emails and are VERY fast shippers.

All the foam I've used for final pieces on Mikey's armor and the Cyclops costume came from here, so I definitely recommend them. :thumbsup

Product links:

4mm Craft Foam (package of FIVE 12"x18" sheets) = $6.00 (5/19/11)

3mm Craft Foam (package of FIVE 12"x18" sheets) = $5.00 (5/19/11)

Most adult costumes that people are using floor mats for, would probably enjoy working with the 4mm foam. I use the 3mm stuff for the kids (it just looks a bit more correctly scaled for their size).

Also... I've posted a couple of video tutorial related to how I work with this material:

PART ONE: MAKING TEMPLATES & CUTTING FOAM PIECES
PART TWO: GLUING PIECES TOGETHER (INCLUDING ANGLED CONNECTIONS)

Hope all that helps! :):thumbsup

Thank you soooooo much for this info! you don't know how long / hard i have been trying to find this information about.

Also have fun at Dragon Con! a bunch of my friends form the NYC cosplay association are going to be there! I didn't plan to go in time this year :(

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back