Crimson Tide / WarGames Nuclear Launch Authentication Cards

The Kaiser

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This might be a bit of a deep cut prop, but I've always loved the nuclear launch authentication cards/holders that are snapped open in both Crimson Tide and WarGames (in the cold opening of the latter). The satisfying crack and the bright red cards with the authentication codes have a perfect cold war era feel. I've tried to see if these were something "off the shelf", but I've never found anything - so I made my own.

** I know the cards are used for the authentication of emergency action messages, not the actual "launch code"

IMG_4358.jpg

These are made from three laser cut acrylic parts layered together to form the case. The pieces are scored across the middle to provide a clean break when they are opened. The cards are fully sealed in so they are a "one and done" item - while you could try to re-weld the acrylic at the break point, they are intended to be opened only once.

The paper for the cards was surprisingly challenging to find. I wanted a glossy red card stock and only found a single option in my search, but it works well. Each case has two identical printed cards inside containing the whatever authentication code one might want. The above is one of the codes used in Crimson Tide.

Since similar authentication cards are used in both WarGames and Crimson Tide, I made a cabinet to hold the cards that is a bit of a hybrid between both films. The outside is more WarGames, while the inside is Crimson Tide inspired.

2020-03-01 22.09.33.jpg

IMG_4354.jpg

As you can imagine, these are very fun to crack open. I'm thinking about using them for something like a rarely needed two-factor authentication - like a password locker. Who knows, maybe they'd be perfect for a Submariner family gender reveal party.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know!

2019-05-23 12.28.09.jpg
2021-07-18 13.58.16.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4352.jpg
    IMG_4352.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4354.jpg
    IMG_4354.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 471
  • IMG_4353.jpg
    IMG_4353.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Have always wanted these! Let me know if you have any extras that you'd be willing to make a deal.
Right? Secret codes in a break-open case? What is cooler than that? Re: available extras - I want to be careful about respecting the forum rules, so I’ll shoot you a DM and we can discuss, I’m sure we can work something out.

These are awesome. Did you cut the acrylic yourself?
Thank you! Yes, I am cutting the acrylic myself (40w laser cutter). The outer layers are 1/16” acrylic and I am running some issues with the edges melting a bit, so I may switch to cutting the thinner material on a CNC.

BonesAreDollars? Any thoughts about the monetary value of worms?

Thank you! Yes, I am cutting the acrylic myself (40w laser cutter). The outer layers are 1/16” acrylic and I am running some issues with the edges melting a bit, so I may switch to cutting the thinner material on a CNC.

BonesAreDollars? Any thoughts about the monetary value of worms?
I’ve been contemplating buying a laser cutter recently, may have to do that now.

You’re actually the first person to get that reference!

Dude... I've wanted something like this since War Games came out.

Any chance you could make up a tutorial or something on how to do this and what kind of equipment is needed?

I’m happy to share any info you might be interested in regarding the build. Without getting too in the weeds, the cases are made from three layers of acrylic with the middle layer serving as a spacer for the authentication cards to sit in a “pocket” between the two outer layers. Due to the interior 90 degree corners needed of the middle acrylic layer, a laser cutter is key in terms of equipment access. I also used the laser to score acrylic for when the are broken open.

The main challenge I had was cement welding the acrylic layers so that there weren’t any bubbles between the layers. That is mostly just a practice thing for me, but I had to scrap a number of them that didn’t have the right clarity.

The actual authentication cards are pretty straight forward, but I did have some trouble finding the right type of glossy red card stock to use. Unfortunately the only thing I found is red on only one side, so each of the cards had two sheets of card stock glued back to back. I believe I used the Futura font (or some close derivative) for the lettering and codes were printed with a laser printer (inkjet wasn’t able to properly adhere to the glossy paper for me). If I do a v2.0 think I will screen print both the glossy red and the black lettering to make them a feel super authentic. I’ve had a fair amount of interest in this project, so I might do my first ever project run for these and actually mess with the screen printing.

As always, thank you for the compliments!

I purchased a set of these a while back, and I was (am) very happy with them. I've been looking for nuclear authenticator cards forever, and these are very cool.

I am working on a v2.0 of these authentication cards. To start, in lieu using a laser printer for the lettering on the cards, I went ahead and burned a silk screen to improve the quality and repeatability. I'm using a lacquer ink to match the glossiness and ensure proper adhesion. The ink is quite finicky, especially for my sub-novice level of silk screening printing. So, I am mostly making a mess, but occasionally printing out some good looking cards. Until now I have just been replicating the cards from Crimson Tide, but I just mocked up the authentication cards that are used at the start of Wargames. I don't know if I'll make a silk screen for these, but I have attached a PDF of the mock up if it is helpful to anyone.
IMG_5313.jpg
IMG_5314.jpg

Attachments

• Wargames authentication cards.pdf
    90.9 KB · Views: 60

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back