creature from the black lagoon fossilized creature hand

I'm with Steve on this one. I winced as soon as the OP mentioned Arsenal. I was very surprised to see some of the responses.

This is why people like Arsenal stay in business.

In this case, the licensee is gently letting us know that his will be coming out. The subtext is to not buy the recast. The deeper subtext is a very nice gesture of NOT issuing a C&D, considering their upcoming release.

In short, this was a gesture of goodwill and I for one appreciate it.

Ok, so for anyone who has arrived late to the party, let's recap the thread so far...

-Dude posts a picture of an OBVIOUS recast of the Grey Zon Creature hand. (He got it from Arsenal models...and if you are familiar with Arsenal's SOP or the GZ replica, this is CLEARLY a re-pop...'nuf said.)

-Folks reply: "That rocks!" Because recasting (or buying a recast item) is only condemned when it is something that you DON'T want...

-Official licensee pops in to say that they will be coming out with one. They are clearly quite proud of their achievement. Their tone is civil; no threats, no condemnation...

-RPF denizens attack said licensee for bad posting etiquette, while continuing to praise the recast. (the irony is getting deeper every minute...I can't wait to see how it ends...)

-Another dude says that if the licensed replicas don't retail for $30, their entire inventory will just sit in a warehouse unsold (That was the cherry on-top. Brilliant! The increasing suspense is killing me... I love it!)

-SD comes in and bashes selected comments for being patently stupid, somewhat hypocritical, and generally :confused :confused :confused

Mods lock the thread in:

:lol

:lol:lol:lol
I know, right? I kept waiting for a pile-on, bashing the OP for supporting recasting. Maybe we're logged into the Bizarro RPF!

Ok, so for anyone who has arrived late to the party, let's recap the thread so far...
-Another dude says that if the licensed replicas don't retail for $30, their entire inventory will just sit in a warehouse unsold :lol

I never defended a recast at all anywhere, and the one I bought off ebay was an original boxed cast, and I picked it up for $20 plus shipping.

The trend these days it to produce items like this as a "high end collectable" with abnormally high pricepoints to milk fans for no other reason than greed.

A advertisement for a new product really shouldn't be placed in a fan post about a buildup.. it belongs in it's own sales promotion thread, especially when its even necro'd.

And I stand by my statement. If the original kits can be purchased on ebay for almost nothing, most people interested already own them, and a $200 "officially licensed" version will flop hard.

Of course the upside is they will be at Tuesday Morning for $15 a pop a year from now, like those amazing Universal Monster 3D relief posters from a few years ago.

-Official licensee pops in to say that they will be coming out with one. They are clearly quite proud of their achievement. Their tone is civil; no threats, no condemnation...

-RPF denizens attack said licensee for bad posting etiquette, while continuing to praise the recast. (the irony is getting deeper every minute...I can't wait to see how it ends...)

So you totally think it's OK for official licensees or another seller to pop into every thread that features similar props that they have in their inventory and make it into a advertisement thread?

I was never really promoting the recasters or recasted otems in general, but I've been wanting one of these claws for years and had never even seen one on eBay or anywhere else, and for that reason, I did not know that this was recasted as I had never seen another like it. Although it was from arsenal models, I thought maybe it wasn't a recast. That's probably my fault for not researching it more, but like I've said, I had never seen one on eBay before. And I havent seen another since I got it.
An its not that I meant to be hostile twords the licensed one, I think it's awesome, but I'd like to see it have it's own thread where I can read all about it!

So you totally think it's OK for official licensees or another seller to pop into every thread that features similar props that they have in their inventory and make it into a advertisement thread?

Yes! If the item being mentioned is a known recast of a known recaster then I most definitely agree a licensed seller should make a statement. If I was a nooby and was looking for this item guess who I would be buying from if the license maker didn't make a post?

Of course the upside is they will be at Tuesday Morning for $15 a pop a year from now, like those amazing Universal Monster 3D relief posters from a few years ago.

Wait, those 3D posters are available cheap somewhere? I've been looking for the Creature one for years. Keep hoping it will hit eBay. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms.

They are long gone. The guys over that the Universal Monster Army spotted them when they wre clearanced, and they were going from $10 to $20. I only picked up Van Helsing and Creech, and have been kicking myself for not getting the rest when I could have.

The creech one is deinitely worth hunting for though. I picked up a transclucent version of that same poster, and one of these days, my plans are to backlight and frame it, and display it with my 3d movie poster, my kit creech skelehand, and and my premium format Creech from sideshow.

Nope. Not EVERY thread.

Just the ones that are patently violating their license. :sleep

Nope. Not EVERY thread.

Just the ones that are patently violating their license. :sleep

how was i violating their license?? most things on this forum are unlicensed, and i did not know that the hand was definitley a recast, only that it came from arsenal. i had never seen another one like anywhere so i got it, fixed the paint up and posted it here.. now that i know that its definitly a recast im not just going to throw away my money by not enjoying it, im still going to display it, but i wont be buying another.

im going to have to look up the 3d poster you guys are talking about though, ive never seen it but it sounds awesome.

Hey Guys - I didnt chime in earlier but if it matters at all - I have been a member here for a while, I love the community, and I am the one that Factory chose to sculpt their licensed replica.

I dont know what the price point will be (Im a artist for hire) but I do know that I put a LOT of time into the hand I made from them, and tried to create something that I myself, as a collector, would want to own -

As for the item in this thread (Which the original poster did an awesome job on BTW) I can tell you that the FE hand I made is a totally different sculpt based on a lot of research and even a few never-before-seen photos of the prop. Plus, its quite large - Larger than a human hand, like the one in the film (Im not sure the size of the kit we have in this thread)

Didnt know if it would make any difference in the attitude towards all of this (This thread is kind of going dark a bit..) that knowing a fan and fellow collector and board member did the sculpt, and I did it with total love for the creature (My fav of the classic monsters) and came at it from a place of really wanting to make an awesome product that people (like me) would be pumped to have in their collection.

Hey Guys - I didnt chime in earlier but if it matters at all - I have been a member here for a while, I love the community, and I am the one that Factory chose to sculpt their licensed replica.

I dont know what the price point will be (Im a artist for hire) but I do know that I put a LOT of time into the hand I made from them, and tried to create something that I myself, as a collector, would want to own -

As for the item in this thread (Which the original poster did an awesome job on BTW) I can tell you that the FE hand I made is a totally different sculpt based on a lot of research and even a few never-before-seen photos of the prop. Plus, its quite large - Larger than a human hand, like the one in the film (Im not sure the size of the kit we have in this thread)

Didnt know if it would make any difference in the attitude towards all of this (This thread is kind of going dark a bit..) that knowing a fan and fellow collector and board member did the sculpt, and I did it with total love for the creature (My fav of the classic monsters) and came at it from a place of really wanting to make an awesome product that people (like me) would be pumped to have in their collection.

its great to hear that you sculpted the new hand! it looks amazing so congrats on that! its the best looking one ive seen, and i never meant to disrespect the new licensed prop, the creature has always been my favorite also so its great to see someone with more tallent than me being able to give it justice in a peice like this.
as long as its not to pricy (im in college now without a job, so i dont have much spending money) im deffinitley getting one when it comes out!
i still dont see how my creature hand is violating the license, and ill keep it displayed proudly unless i am able to get the new one. and who knows, my parents get me some cool props for my birthday and christmas so even if it is a bit pricier, ill still at least try to get it. it really does look like a must have for creature fans.

the size of my kit is about 13 inches from th ebase of the fossil to the tip of the middle finger, so its bigger than a human hand, but i dont think its the size of the screen used one. how big is the new one?

one more question though, what is the base going to look like? will it be just like in the film with the longer rod holding the claw, or will it be shorter like the one i have?

I had an original GZ casting and though it is larger than a human hand, it's still quite a bit smaller than the prop from the film. I've been hoping for an "official" version for years.

Still, it's an awesome piece and you did a GREAT job on it!

-B89! :D

Hey MrGz -
Thanks for the compliment :) You dont have to explain anything to me about having unlicensed stuff! haha This wouldnt even be a hobby if it wasnt for fan made - Especially stuff like this that has never been officially made before -

I mean, if there wasnt people buying and making their own items, who would know what to make when they wants to produce something the collectors would want!

Here is something cool - My friend Bob Burns knew the man who sculpted the hand for the original - He was uncredited in CREATURE, and Bob sent me a pic of him holding a cast of his original hand (That was destroyed in production) Bob helped me out a LOT on this - I sent him in-progress pictures every few days-

Im in-progress on an art facebook page, so its bare bones, but you can check out the pic and little story there if you want:

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Hey MrGz -
Thanks for the compliment :) You dont have to explain anything to me about having unlicensed stuff! haha This wouldnt even be a hobby if it wasnt for fan made - Especially stuff like this that has never been officially made before -

I mean, if there wasnt people buying and making their own items, who would know what to make when they wants to produce something the collectors would want!

Here is something cool - My friend Bob Burns knew the man who sculpted the hand for the original - He was uncredited in CREATURE, and Bob sent me a pic of him holding a cast of his original hand (That was destroyed in production) Bob helped me out a LOT on this - I sent him in-progress pictures every few days-

Im in-progress on an art facebook page, so its bare bones, but you can check out the pic and little story there if you want:

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

just saw that, and as i said in my comment on it, its awesome to see a color pic of it.. if only there were any true color pics of the original suit out there somewhere.. (other than the colorized black and white pics because these dont show the true color of the suit, just the colorists interpretation of what they thought it was)

and its awesome that your working with bob burns on this as well, hes definitley a legend...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back