Crackerjazz' 1/10 Lunar Module LM-5 Eagle Ascent Stage

Hey Bob :) I slid a cassette case underneath the rib. Went around and slid the cassette case along the wall, gluing one rib section by section, firmly pressing down against the case and towards the wall. (Each of my fingers had a role, holding down or clamping something all at once LOL :) Stacked another cassette case for the next row. These ribs will be hidden under wall paneling eventually. They're there to fulfill the specified wall thickness.

Last edited:
Oh, okay. That's easy to picture. Wasn't sure if you used some high-tech fancy approach...or did what I might've done, use whatever is handy and will work! Thanks for the answer, I was starting to feel inadequate! :lol

Thank you for the kind reply re. Solidworks, the time has come to get acquainted to 3d modelling.
Also thanks for introducing me to Tramel Heads which could have saved me a lot of bother in the past and I have just ordered a set.
Your model is going to be spectacular.

Holy cow, this is amazing. I thought you were crazy with the 1/18, but the 1/10! Thats awesome. After seeing this thread, I really want to make one of my own (at a much much smaller scale, of course)! This is such an awesome project!

You're welcome, Tetrox. Thanks, Bob. : ) Shortsonfire79, thanks! You should start now as there are a lot of puzzle areas, I find - or maybe that's just me.

Not a lot of progress, so far, as things are getting trickier. For many nights now I've been spending a lot of time cutting and dry-fitting, as in this hatch area - it's driving me bonkers. :wacko

001qffk.jpg

001vvvi.jpg

003droj.jpg

002vvb.jpg

002xhs.jpg

I'll try to have a buck made for vacuforming the ascent engine bell. At first I wanted to have it 3D printed but looks like it's gonna be expensive. Also the 3D printed material seems to be quite flexible but retains the deformed shape when deformed from shipping like some of the 3D printed thrusters. I asked the printing shop if I could fix them by plugging the holes and dunking them in boiling water like I would to styrene but he said the material doesn't really hold up great in heat.

002yu.png

Wow, Eagle is getting her face now.
Your technique makes this build a work of art at this stage already.

I'm going to look for my cassette cases.

katsu

Katsu, thank you for your kind words :)

006vgd.jpg

I finally permanently glued these panels on.

003zcj.jpg

No turning back now. The Tamiya liquid cement welds styrene so well that portions rip out when you attempt to pry two panels apart.

002hea.jpg

Used barbecue sticks to make sure the side panels push vertically against the sidewalls of the hatch shield area. The lower part of these panels are bent slightly inwards at a slight angle as indicated in Vincent Meens' blueprints.

001vki.jpg

I'm getting there! I was initially tergetting completion by 2019 in time for the lunar landing anniversary but it looks like I'll be done by 2018 :)

That is some mighty fine styrene work, for an equally mighty project!.
I'm in awe at the size of her & your skill here is admirable.
Well done, I'm watching this one keenly mate!
Stu

003gtt.jpg

Chipping away bit by bit....

004yu.jpg

Wish I had Rafa's edging tool. It would help immensely. I looked for that type of blade around today and couldn't find any. Many of the panels join at strange angles.

47394913.jpg

Last edited:
Kadows, thanks! :)

004tpw.jpg

Printed out a template for the rendezvous lights and S-band antenna. I'm trying to get some help about whether the 3 panels might be done as one just to make it easier for the other side. They might well likely be 3 separate panels as in the blueprints, with slightly varying planes.

Also tried to pry open one of walls (lower left), but checked myself. Need to get confirmation that I in fact got the thickness right before I totally rip the walls out.

More and more impressive with each post, Mr. crackerjazz! :cool

Interesting, how this real-life vessel has shapes and contours which rival even the imaginations of any science fiction model builders for fictional craft!

002ngo.jpg

Thanks, Bob! :) And I guess another good thing about this is they're all flat panels and really helps with the build. No streamlined surfaces to worry about. Worked on the panels around the windows.

003gxk.jpg

Now she can see with both eyes! The windows will look better with the "surrounds" in place.

004jtf.jpg

001xoa.jpg

010eou.jpg

Worked on the docking assembly.

008ymu.jpg

007ajs.jpg

Wrapped the styrene strip around a plastic tube.

001hme.jpg

A half-minute egg, please.

006jjz.jpg

002jxr.jpg

Why do I keep imagining this thing docking with a CSM? Gotta build this area stronger for future use.

005lssq.jpg

004wxk.jpg

003ud.jpg

More on the docking assembly later.

Really the work is brutal! .. each passing day this masterpiece takes more shape. I can only get more praise for your amazing work my friend! ... incredible way to give that curve to Styren! (y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Those panels fitted each other perfect. Great skill, sir.

I used the electric power plane and jig for edging. That was a bit fearful:lol.
Also, I held the sheet plastic with a vise and planed it. It worked for me.
katsu

Just caught wind of your build here C.J. this is some top notch work! takes me back to being a kid being off from school to watch these moments in history live on t.v.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back