Clay question from complete newbie

I thought it would make it weird after applied but it doesn't. Once you use your finger to rub the talc in (when the clay is dry that is) it starts to smooth out the clay then disappear and won't affect the clay.

You can apply with a brush or gloved finger (def wear gloves if using your finger as it will burn) just don't put too much on in one go. It will take a little bit of time to get used to it but works a treat. Also don't forget to try use the back of your rake to smooth it before using the mineral spirits (gives the mineral spirits less to do)

Cool, Ill try it out tonight and see how it works. Baby powder is the same as talcum podwer right? Dont judge me haha. =)

Also, I plan on making the casting out of silicone, will using the mineral spirits inhibit any of that? Ill probably just get some Klean Strip stuff from Home Depot.

Last edited:
lol it is indeed the same stuff and sure we all start somewhere (I only know a very small bit, still alot to learn)

I should not inhibit it at all, I used it to roughly smooth my last helmet and the silicone did not have any issues. In fact mineral spirits just thins down silicone.

Dude you rule. Thanks for the tips/info. Im going to work on the sculpt tonight, Ill let you know how it works out. Awesome work by the way. Did you make that predator costume solo? Thats insane.

Just want to echo the importance of using an oil-based clay that does NOT contain Sulfur. Sulfur inhibits the curing of silicone molding.
I for one love Monster Clay. It has no odor, doesn't leave a residue on your tools or hands, It's super hard when cool, which can really capture details. But if you heat it up in the microwave it can be incredibly soft and usually stays pretty soft for a good 20 minutes, depending on the amount.

And as far as cost, look at it as an investment. Monster Clay is infinitely reusable so it will last you for many projects.

Couple tips with monster clay, get a hair dryer and some mineral spirits(seems to work better than isopropyl) for smoothing.

Just got a batch of this stuff to replace my old Chavant Hard for moldmaking stuff. (That Chavant is like 5 years old and somehow is giving me silicone cure problems. Probably years of collecting dust with sulfur in it from the refineries down here) So I figured I'd try this no-stick stuff.

Love it, and the fact that you can microwave it. I've seen Chavant catch on fire if you ever try that!:D

The no odor stuff isn't quite right though. Smells like corn chips when it's warm, probably something to do with the oil they use. Made me hungry when I was doing up a new box mold.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back