CG Models of Kitbash Greebles?

jedilaw

Hello, all:

I'm a "new" member on the RPF, but used to be very active on Resin Illuminati, SciFi Meshes and several other fan-art sites. A few of you, like stonky moved in the same forum circles and may remember me.

I've been going over the various kitbash projects folks have going on, with part ID maps, crowdsourcing info, etc. In a few of them I see references to 3D printing of missing parts.

I've been considering modeling a set of the most commonly-used greebles from the ILM TOS days, like pieces from the Matilda, the Tirpitz, the Prince of Wales, etc., but before I fall down that rabbit hole I thought I would ask if anyone has come across existing 3D sets of these well-known greebles?

Thanks in advance,

JL

Not those particular greeblies, but there are others available on Cults3D and Thingiverse. Most are included in 3D printable kits of certain subjects and not in separate downloads. Some modellers may not want 3D printed replicas and will opt for the originals or resin cast replicas, but the rarity of those kits and having the resin casts being only available from select few casters, may not fill the needs of most modellers. Having 3D designed replicas would be the way to go, to keep this hobby alive for decades to come.

There was a thread here, where a group of people were scanning the original kit parts, and providing them for sale, but I haven't heard much about it recently. I've seen some 3D scanned parts, and they don't come anywhere near to the quality of the originals, unsurprisingly.

A ready set of downloadable greeblie replicas, perhaps separated out into groups, would make a lot of sense. I'd be able to design a lot of my own greeblies, but there are those who would rather 3D print copies than spend the time learning new software and designing replica greeblies themselves.

TazMan2000

I really need to set some time apart and get those scans to print pieces for my BMF. It's been ages and that thing's just sitting around in pieces!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back