Captain America Shield (UK Production & 1st Thread)

great work guys on painting these shields without all the fancy paints that the US have, im also from the UK so ill be getting some VHT paint soon.
i also went to northeast metal spinners and it comes with a pre spun star but it hasnt got the engraved groves around the edges, has anyone managed to get that effect and if so how? cheers

I filed some detail into mine (a little cack-handedly) its pretty easy to mark, IE wrong wrong slip and there ain't no un-doing it. You could probably do the detail scoring it on with a biro. Think i was trying to be too clever filing it in.

attachment.php

Enjoyed the VHT paint though.

Decided to battle damage my first try after being a bit clumsy with the acetone.

I've reached my daily upload allowance but i'll post some more pics soon.

thats looking good, ill try the biro thing if not ill have a go at filing, ive just bought some 3mm aluminium there for the brackets so ill get them cut out soon

Oooh let me know how you get on making brackets, ive been giving that some thought lately. chicago screws and belts is as far as I got.

Re: Captain America Shield (UK Production & 1st Thread)

Glad to see more shields getting produced, I'd love to see photos of peoples painted shields, just add them to this thread. I still have my second shield sitting here ready to go unfortunately it's taken a bit of a back seat as I've been commissioned to sculpt and cast a mask from The Last Samurai and have a few Ghostbusters props that have needed completing for my own collection.

Clark HD

- - - Updated - - -

Also try a straight edge and a hobby knife for the scouring that's what I did the first time round, lightly trace the star pattern onto the star first using a pencil.

yeah i'm quite surprised at how easily marked they are, might need to actually get a vibranium one.

here's what stage my sheid is at.

attachment.php

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411482230.362488.jpg

Thanks for the advice I didn't realise aluminium was that easy to score like you said, I was planning on using an engraver lol
I'll try and tidy the circles up with a drill I think. Next the brackets I think T-nuts are what others are using to attach the buckles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looks fantastic kind of makes me want to battle damage my next one any tips? Also is that a valor star? If not how did you do the spun circles my last attempt was a bit of a hassle and curious to different methods

Cheers Clark

Cheers.

My first time painting metal so it's been a learning curve.

Surprised at how easily it's marked, but also love how you can clean the paint off it completely, no fuss no muss.

I only decided to battle damage after running out of red paint and spilling a dot of acetone on it by mistake >:|

I painted it all up, then removed the bullet whangs with acetone on a cotton bud.

then masked the silver bits off and gave them a spray with matt black on the airbrush. turned out really nice.

As for the star it's the one that came with it, by circles you mean the bits at the end of each point yeah? did them freehand with the tip of a scalpel, they're not really very neat and i only did them as semi circles for some reason. didn't realise they were full circles until later.

going to order another shield today to do a lovely clean one.

Re-did a bullet whang i wasnt happy with and now i think it's ace.

crappy iphone 3 pic.

attachment.php

also got my Valor buckles and they're dope! will post more pics when i get them attached.

attachment.php

Last edited:
So I finally managed to get round to painting my new shield using the Dupli color paints and it's by far my best effort considering the last shield I stripped 5 times. Only had to strip the blue once this time round but the paint covering has come out pretty darn nice for me I think.

IMG_1247.JPGIMG_1250.JPGIMG_1240.JPGIMG_1253.JPGIMG_1255.JPG

I need to redo the star as it's an old mock up from the last one that's been battered and hit this with some clear coat before moving onto the straps. Going to use satin clear this time round I think any suggestions on what to use here in the UK for that?

Cheers for looking
Clark

Last edited:
As a fellow UK based RPF member I'd just like to say a massive thank you to everyone in this thread! I'm getting my blank fairly soon and all of your posts have been a massive help in deciding how to go about painting it :D

Hey Clark, very nice work by the way. I'm currently doing the same build with an old snow saucer. So far, it's coming along pretty well. I do have a question though, the brackets on the back of the shield with the buckles, do you have some measurements for those two? That would be a huge help.

Cheers,

Hey Clark, very nice work by the way. I'm currently doing the same build with an old snow saucer. So far, it's coming along pretty well. I do have a question though, the brackets on the back of the shield with the buckles, do you have some measurements for those two? That would be a huge help.

Cheers,

I have some CAD files I believe some where for these with the measurements on, I'll hunt them out and post them up.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good UK available Clear Coat? I'm gathering my materials to make a start on my Blank and this is one of the only things I'm not 100% on a good quality product :)

Finally finished my own cap shield after selling the first. This one has full straps and brackets which aren't screen accurate but are good enough for me. the star needs redoing once I can work out a way of spinning the small circles in each corner of the inner pattern.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back