Captain America 2: Winter soldier Bomber Jacket

Yeah searching for a bomber jacket probably wont get you any closer to finding it, this isn't a bomber jacket. Like Kevin said, it's a motorcycle styled jacket, search terms like "cafe racer" "moto jacket" "motorcycle jacket" "bike jacket", stuff like that is what you'll want to search for IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

:facepalm OK Adding the zippers or is it making them functional... the bridge too far.
It's everything lol What you listed is A LOT of work, adding zippers, extra panels, and modifying pieces, would be a very time consuming and costly venture lol

Costly?
Minus tread... $50.96.
Jacket 39.99, fabric $7.05 and four zippers $3.92.

Considering no one is making it yet and based on the Hot Toys, doubt it is leather, homemade seems the only option.

Please don't get me wrong if it id'ed as an off the shelf motorcycle, leather or ballistic nylon, I'll be one of the first to order it.

Costly?
Minus tread... $50.96.
Jacket 39.99, fabric $7.05 and four zippers $3.92.

Considering no one is making it yet and based on the Hot Toys, doubt it is leather, homemade seems the only option.

Please don't get me wrong if it id'ed as an off the shelf motorcycle, leather or ballistic nylon, I'll be one of the first to order it.

I think you're under-estimating the time and money that goes into creating/modifying a jacket. Especially something like the Dickies jacket you mentioned, it really doesn't share any of the same properties as the screen used jacket. You'd have to redye the jacket, remove and replace the collar, replace or modify the cuffs, remove the material from the forearms and replace it with a ventilated mesh, then add the piping that goes around it, add the piping that goes aross the chest, add in the ventilated mesh material to the front of the jacket, add the zippers, more work if you want to make them functional, completely redo the entire back of the jacket to add in the shoulder gussets. And that's just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there's a lot more that would have to be done.

If you just wanted a blue jacket that looked somewhat close but still a ways off, then yeah you could probably do it for cheap. But if you want to recreate the jacket on screen, it's going to take time, and money.

Agreed! It boils down to the standard formula of time, money and skill.

And Yes, I never consider the cost of labor. If I did.... couldn't afford any of my projects.

Sure. You need to start with a pattern that is fairly plain. I have a bomber jacket pattern that will work. Madding the sleeves is fairly simple, and I'm gonna line it so I can put in the zipper pockets and vents.

I feel like I've looked at thousands of textile mesh motorcycle jackets on amazon, ebay and motorcycle stores on the web generally over the past three days. Not a one has had brass zippers, not one has consisted of shades of blue only (all include black as well, most have silver or grey parts too) and all have had a logo emblazoned across the chest, shoulders or back. Most if not all have had devices to tighten the collar and cuffs too, not to mention buckles and inner linings.

The Steve Rogers jacket seems to be made from one shade of blue (one in mesh, looking darker than the textile fabric), has brass zippers all over, no logos and no closures at the collar or cuffs - no closures means you would have air whistling up your sleeves and down your neck when you ride. I can't see any inner lining and TheStuntman over at filmjackets said his friend - Chris Evans' stunt double - described the jacket as lightweight, easy to wear without getting hot, like a sports jacket by Nike or Adidas. This doesn't sound like a PPE motorcycle jacket that's meant to stop road rash when you come off your bike!

I am almost entirely certain now that this was a custom job.

I'm almost entirely certain it's an off the rack designer jacket not made anymore, not a functional motorcycle jacket.

Looking at some interviews from the main costume designer for the movie, it sounds like the jacket in question is a custom job: Costuming Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Tyranny of Style as she mentions it was one of her favorite pieces to create.

Pattern looks pretty simple, in fact kwik sew has a jacket pattern that looks somewhat similar, just would need to be altered slightly for the front, pockets, as well as shorten the collar. That and obviously not to make it out of fleece: K4032 | Misses'/Men's Jackets | Outerwear | Kwik Sew Patterns

As for materials, I'm thinking it could be gore-tex, some sort of cordura woven stretch blend, or some sort of nylon cotton blend.

In a way it really makes sense for it to be a custom job rather than a store bought piece, and I feel as if she really thought through the character's clothing choices they would make while still keeping to the source material. I mean could you really picture a man who's struggling with his past and being brought into a time he's still trying to understand going and buying for himself any of the moto jackets you see today with all the logos and the flashy colors? It would clash so hard with his harley, not to mention its not really his style as he does kind of have that simple clothing sensibility of his youth.

Honestly I wouldn't fret about it not being a commercial piece, I'm sure that there's people working on replicating it, both for casual and possible motorcycle wear.

The biggest downside being that 9 times out of 10, the recreations cost WAAAY more than what the jacket would cost off the shelf.
And IMO no one ever gets it 100% right, it's always easy to spot a replica, whether it's a slightly different material, or maybe the color is off just a touch, or even the fit may be different, there's always 1 thing that makes it stand out as a replica..

Sucks this wasn't an off the shelf jacket, kind of a bummer.

I've been working on my jacket today, and all that is left is the collar and lining. My tablet won't let me put up pictures, but trust me, it's looking pretty good!

Yeah I get that most of the replicas have a small tell in them so its not always 100% accurate, but as long as it isn't majorly off it isn't too bad. A good place to start with finding the fabrics for this jacket would be these places:
Rockywoods Outdoor Fabrics
Outdoor Fabric and Sunbrella Marine Fabric : Outerwear Patterns : Seattlefabrics.com

I definitely suggest ordering samples just to check the color/texture in person

That's a great find - sample pack would be a must.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back