C3P0 Build Thread

12226957_10153655526335211_1051861648239029935_n.jpg

Auction head came out awesome. The Neck doesn't really fit all that great, but I left it in there as part of the package.

If you are in the NY area, on I think December 18th, you an listen to scott shannon in the morning's blythdale kids hospital braodcast and bid on it as part of the auction. It cost $600's to do, so I hope they start the bidding at at least $1,000. I'd love for a prop builder to get it, so if something should go wrong (god forbid ) they'll know how to fix it without damage ;o). so far, it's perfectly stable.

the eyes need to be straight and glued in..as do the lights. but that's the last detail to do.

12246842_10153655577540211_5326367593192618523_n.jpg

Prop experts, question. I wanted this head to be unquestionably 100% stable as a display peice, so I made one small sacrifice. this screw at the top of the head that connects the two top parts together. now, should I cut off the screw head, and bury the rest inside so all you have is the hole, or do I keep it as is? I'm hoping the average non devoted star wars fan won't mind, but the more serious devotees might have a problem with it. I assumed a father might buy this for his kid, so I didn't want it to fall apart when they got it home.

Last edited:
his eyes are getting glued in now.hopefully they stay straight, then I can velcro in the battery back and re-assemble him. and he'll stay like that for auction time.

I'm thinking of just screwing it in from the bottom since it's too late to do anything about the hole. it won't be as noticeable viewing it head on.

I wouldn't think magnets would be as stable, because they'd still have to attach to the resin non flat surface. and what I tried on my master helmet didn't work too well either (a screw, but screwed in to a tiny sliver of piece on the underside of the top helmet. )... it holds it in, but it comes loose far too often because it doesn't have a grip. I'll try screwing it in from the bottom and see if it's any better...

Again, this was done for 100% assured stability so it wouldn't fall apart as the winner transported it home. If I thought there was a way to do it carefully without ruining the chrome job,I'd fill the top hole, go over it with a gold marker to cover it, and just put the screw in from the bottom...but I didn't think that would be as stable. oh well. whatever winds up being done between now and then, I'm sure the winner will be happy. and whatever winds up being the final assembly, I will make sure they post pictures on their FB page so any bidders can see exactly what they are getting

Last edited:
you have to grind the resin and insert the thin magnet so they sit flush on both pieces, its very stable, the face plate on my iron man helmet is held in place with magnets and no way the face plate or neck piece will fall out without pulling very hard on it.

well, I screwed the screw in on the underside. thinking about options to fill the top hole...but it's less noticeable this way.
possibly looking into gold solder to fill the top, but I might just leave it alone.

12241665_10153660466485211_2165167527415441380_n.jpg

I've had it with this pipe system for my threepio stand. I want to get the arms hooked up, but the pipe system from the torso up isn't working at all no matter what I do.
is there a mannequin I can buy and mutilate so it'll fit easier?

Use plastic pipe solvent glue. They won't come apart. You don't worry about your plastic plumbing waste pipes at home coming apart do you?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I learned the hard way - ALL drilling, screwing, bolting, attaching, modifying, filling, etc. must be done BEFORE plating. :wacko

Oh, I learned the hard way - ALL drilling, screwing, bolting, attaching, modifying, filling, etc. must be done BEFORE plating. :wacko

yep, that part I know. but as stated before, this was done for a CHARITY auction. I Was concerned about the helmet falling apart if the winner was rough with it, so I used the smallest screw I had to make the tiniest hole I could. oh well. it's slightly better this way.

I tried a test solder with an extra gold plate I had lying around, and that didn't really work all that great filling up the hole neatly. oh well. the huge star wars fans on the radio show I am
giving this away on had no problem with the screw there, so long as it was for stability purpouses. hopefully the winner won't either.

If I do another one next year, I'll work out something different. but next year I want to do this AND an R2 head.

Keep in mind, if you are local NY, you can bid on this December 18th on Scott Shannon in the Morning from 6-10 AM during their final show of the year.
i'm still hoping the star wars people do Episode 7 press locally in NY before then, and a few of them can come up into the studio to sign it and drive the price up.

hey folks, need help ASAP.

We are trying to think up a fun, descriptive name that is SHORT for the C3P0 head to display on the auction site. it needs to stand out and grab peoples attention so when they browse the pictures, they'll know what it is instantly.

THe technical term '1:1 scale Resin Threepio head' is too boring and too technical for the average person. they'll likely scroll on by it and the bon jovi autographed guitar below it will grab their attention more.. any suggestions appreciated...

we'll need something by tomorrow so they can get it set up. Oh, and if you are NOT local and NY, you can still bid on this item and they will ship it too you. same day, I believe.

Star Wars "C-3PO" Replica Head Display

Where in NY is this taking place? Will it be shown somewhere? I'm based on Long Island.

Star Wars "C-3PO" Replica Head Display

Where in NY is this taking place? Will it be shown somewhere? I'm based on Long Island.

this is taking place at the blythdale childrens hospital in NY. but it's not open to the public. It's a VERY small space, and they use most of that to wheel in the kids in gurney's and stuff like that so they can enjoy the show. I'm lucky I got the invite the last two years; o). Rob Thomas will be there, Mark Rivera from Billy Joel, Holiday Express, the Hitmen, and a few other un announced guests. I will be filming it, and they USUALLY post the auction item list live a few days before, so you can have it early if you want to buy anything. it does not go live until 6AM on the 18th.
I believe they said they start bidding price at 20% below retail value (And obviously they hope it winds up way past that at the end). so when the link goes live, if you want to buy it, I'll post it. And they apparently do allow outside NY voting. so they will ship it to you asap.

heh, if an RPF member gets it, you'll have no problem filling the head hole, i'm sure ;o). since it's going to ship, i'm going to reverse the screw back the way it was so everything is perfectly stable.

https://www.charitybuzz.com/catalog_items/handmade-star-wars-c3po-helmet-replica-956416

OK everyone, the link is back up. We where going to have them make an alteration saying that the head does NOT sit well on the neck, but I just shipped them the neck today, so you'll get the neck too. Inside the top of the head is a PVC Elbow that you can attach a PVC pipe too..and maybe you can jury rig something so it can all fit together properly. there is also a hole in the back of the neck so the pipe can fit in it should you need it that way.

enjoy ;o)

we also got some on air placement today.
https://soundcloud.com/videoguy565/wcbsfm2015-december-8th-auction-me
I think they are over selling it a bit though. all I did was drill a few holes and ship it places for other people to finish it off with chroming ;o). anyone can do that ;o).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back