Buying weathering supplies... what to buy?

Locry

Ok, so I'm gonna buy weathering supplies... mostly sci-fi... what do you guys have in your workshops?

Looking to buy a "complete" set of whatever it is I may need. The simpler the better. I need color and medium suggestions. Thanks! :)

If you were gonna get stuck in an island with lots of kits to build... what weathering supplies would you take with you?

Pastel chalks if nothing else. But that's a loaded question. It's like asking "I want to build the best model, what one should I buy". There are a lot of different tools and techniques for weathering. Some may work for you some may not. It also depends on skill, how much time to invest as well as money.

Here is what you can do with pastel chalks. The ship was painted white over a black base and the blue was painted along with R2. Everything else is chalk.

018-3.jpg

Cool!!! I guess what I'm really asking is what medium can "do it all"... seems chalk is versatile... searched around the net and youtube... chalk seems to be what i'm looking for. I've never used it before... but I did use pencil graphite to weather all my Ertls waaaaay back.

I'm not really sure there is one medium that can "do it all". The problem is what is "do it all"? Each product, chalk, inks, paints, real dirt, real rust, weathering powders, pencils, etc. all have their uses and effects. There are also different techniques used for each product, and then some, to achive different effects.

I guess if I had to choose one I would go with chalks. They come in a ton of colors. You can take a stick and nick the model for a sharp lazer blast. You can rub the stick on a piece of sandpaper and create a powder. Different color powders can be mixed like paint to change the color as well. The powder can then be dry brushed on or even scrubbed in with a stiff brush. You can also mix the powder with rubbing alcohol, slop that into corners and cracks and when it evaporates you get realistic rust.

The only thing to remember with chalks and powders is they need a clear coat to seal the powder so you don't rub it off.

Anyone else?

Id have actually advised to stay away from Pastels, the end result is not all that great, but then, it depends what you are building.
If its a studio scale subject, avoid them, and do it the old fashioned way, using gauche washes and water based smudges.
Oils too if thats your bag, though i find water based and acrylic washes work better and tend not to spread too much.
Graphite, great material to add blast marks or metal sheens too.

A lot of it you tend to find along the way, but as for pastels, to me they are a slippery slope and dont look all that great outside of smaller aircraft/armor modelling.

lee

Id have actually advised to stay away from Pastels, the end result is not all that great, but then, it depends what you are building.
If its a studio scale subject, avoid them, and do it the old fashioned way, using gauche washes and water based smudges.
Oils too if thats your bag, though i find water based and acrylic washes work better and tend not to spread too much.
Graphite, great material to add blast marks or metal sheens too.

A lot of it you tend to find along the way, but as for pastels, to me they are a slippery slope and dont look all that great outside of smaller aircraft/armor modelling.

lee

I think my X-Wing turned out pretty good. It was all done with pastel chalks with very little paint. Alot of it has to do with how well you can use the tool at hand.

i know when it came to weathering armor iv always looked for rusted cars/trucks for ideas on how it could be done

iv also head junk yards is another place to look to

C

I think my X-Wing turned out pretty good. It was all done with pastel chalks with very little paint. Alot of it has to do with how well you can use the tool at hand.

Not detracting from the build, but you can tell its been done with chalk i guess.
ILM didnt use this method, these guys were VERY skilled artists with an airbrush, and countless other methods to achieve the look.
Pastel chalks are very easy for a beginner i guess, they pull off a desired effect in a very easy way, without too much frustration, but, in the end to me, they always look like a pastel chalk, which to me, especially in studio scale, cheapens a model.

lee

Too soft? I think that's what catches the eye.

Exactly, it has no real definition, just looks like a splodge of soot etc etc.
With a water based wash, you can create some realy amazing effects is all, and you have more control, over what you want to achieve, its a harder practice, but worth the effort.
I do use graphite sparingly though, that is very handy, but again, you can get some really striking effects from that.
Its what suits you in the end i guess, but dont be afraid to try something new of different, jump in, have fun.

lee

I just love the Maschinen Kruger stuff... one day... i hope I can achieve something like those. Paint chipping is something I'm not even close to achieving.

For rust drips I have actually put a old rusty bolt in a film canister with a lil water and let it sit from the time I start the build. Then use a syringe and push out a bit and where the rust would originate from and then let gravity do the work. If you want a windswept look a hair dryer on low heat high speed and put it in the direction to get a swept effect. I did a ton of rally car models and used alot of weird techniques to get a desired look. I once held a Impreza rally car out the window in a snow storm on the highway to give it a snow/ salted look for Rally Finland lol. SOmetimes putting the models through real life situations gives a really good look. Like something underwater. Throw it in an aquarium and lots of light and then let it dry out. Looks excellent.

First time using Valejo pigments... I LIKE IT! Very predictable and controllable IMO.
Got a small "WASH" bottle too... but it's too small to really cover anything significant, I think the pigments alone will do quite nicely.

ATATpigment.jpg

Initial testing... base coat is a rattle can grey primer.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back